Which religion cares the most about the homeless?

tay

taxslave
+1
Is Sally Ann a religion?

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Habitat for Humanities ... Dem-dum Lbtards that they are.

captain morgan
+2
#4  Top Rated Post
Atheists care the most

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Atheists care the most

That might be true.

Mokkajava
+1
None of them really...

It's all about conversion and tithing

Danbones
+1
the vatican has a wall to keep them out
mexicans included

...oh yeah, it also keeps all the gold and jewels and books in

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Is Sally Ann a religion?

protestants
The Salvation Army was founded in London's East End in 1865 by one-time Methodist Reform Church minister William Booth and his wife Catherine as the East London Christian Mission.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salvation_Army (external - login to view)

MHz
+1
None as they all cater to the rich in the congregations and the poor are said to have caused their own misery so they should fix it on their own. It isn't the homeless you see attending Church on Sunday (for the Christian religion) and the Church is just a big boys club so it only takes care of their own. Collecting wealth is the goal rather than giving it to the poor.

Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

the vatican has a wall to keep them out
mexicans included

...oh yeah, it also keeps all the gold and jewels and books in

protestants
The Salvation Army was founded in London's East End in 1865 by one-time Methodist Reform Church minister William Booth and his wife Catherine as the East London Christian Mission.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salvation_Army (external - login to view)

The Sally Ann seems to have a record for getting most of the donations into the hands of the needy. The RCC is rich beyond belief so they skim a lot of the top for their own pockets before the poor come to mind, a rare event as there are more poor than there needs to be.

Curious Cdn

Is Sally Ann a religion?

Sally Ann is a Christian church, yes. It is a branch of Methodism.

Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

The Mennonite Relief. They are the most efficient charity in Canada and about 85% of what they receive goes directly to charitable work. The United Way is around 10% efficient ...a mega-bureaucracy needs to be fed!

https://mcccanada.ca (external - login to view)

Danbones
founded by one time methodists (see above)
they are considered a branch of protestant
I asked the street worker SA guy that pops into the shelter I volunteer at just to be sure

..."protestant"...
...The theology of the Salvation Army is derived from that of Methodism although it is distinctive in institution and practice..."
from my link above

damngrumpy
+2
Care about the poor religion for the poor you are joking right?
Jesus spoke out on behalf of the poor and the rich eventually
killed him and the right wing of society hijacked the original
church concepts and turned it into a money making venture
and the poor well they are not even seen by the rich. See the
they help with many causes and in turn they get huge tax
deductions. Donate a few pennies for local causes and get huge
breaks far greater than anything donated.
Religion doesn't help the poor it enslaves them to mythical solutions
in a spiritual realm

Danbones
lol
not bad DG
can't say I disagree with that

in spite of all that, some people are still very charitable
our whole foodbank/shelter is run entirely on donations mostly from people who believe in the theories of religion

difference:
the sally ann helps with about 5 days of cheap food a month
we sleep up to 14 a night and feed anyone twice a day

me, I am NOT religious - I help because I can...
same as the sally ann street guy...except he gets paid

Ludlow
I would say Catholic

Mokkajava
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

I would say Catholic

This is the most laughable of all the options

JLM

Is Sally Ann a religion?

For sure..............a denomination of Christianity!

I would say Catholic

Then I would say the U.S. Catholics are a hell of a lot different than Canadian Catholics.

Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

The Sally Ann seems to have a record for getting most of the donations into the hands of the needy. The RCC is rich beyond belief so they skim a lot of the top for their own pockets before the poor come to mind, a rare event as there are more poor than there needs to be.

Yep, I would say they are the only branch of religion and charity that really gives a sh*t about their fellow man!

Ludlow
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MokkajavaView Post

This is the most laughable of all the options

Youu haven't been around much. We delivered food every weekend to feed the homeless. I'm not Catholic but the kitchen was. And there are several that dedicate their lives to this.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

For sure..............a denomination of Christianity!

Then I would say the U.S. Catholics are a hell of a lot different than Canadian Catholics.

Yep, I would say they are the only branch of religion and charity that really gives a sh*t about their fellow man!

A lot of charity dining rooms buddy.

gopher
+1
Catholic Worker - and they do not try to convert anyone.

JLM

A lot of charity dining rooms buddy.

Yep, you'd be right, I think there are a lot of smaller locally based charities that do most of the "heavy lifting" as opposed to the big organizations.

Danbones
yeah, the charity does NOT come from organizations
It ALL comes from the people
organizations just manage it

in the US they are often PAID to do this
(in canada too sometimes I think)

What is "charitable choice"?
So-called "charitable choice" provisions have been put forth as a solution to the very real problems associated with delivering social services to America’s neediest citizens. "Charitable choice" provisions require the government to give religious institutions an equal footing when it seeks bids and grants contracts for the private-sector provision of government-funded social services (such as providing food or job training). The opening of this process to pervasively sectarian institutions (churches, synagogues, mosques) is deeply troubling because many "charitable choice" plans have been put forth without adequate safeguards to ensure that religious activity, including proselytizing, is not a part of that service delivery.

This is a major departure from previous practices. While it is true that religiously-affiliated organizations (such as Catholic Charities) have traditionally received government funds to deliver social services, government regulation—safeguards—have always ensured that such organizations do not integrate religious activities into their delivery of government-funded social services or discriminate in hiring staff to provide such services.
archive.adl.org/charitable_ch...hoice_faq.html (external - login to view)

The only religion in the "out of the cold" program I volunteer at is we say grace before supper on an optional basis.... some religious types would just love to proselytize here, but that's all they get
Last edited by Danbones; Jan 16th, 2017 at 02:13 AM..

davesmom
I don't know as religion as it is practised has much to do with caring for the homeless.
organized religions are much like political parties in a way. They look for ways to spend money so they can bilk us for donations.
The Salvation Army has the best record for charitable work and there are a few others who do good. But I don't really trust any of them. There us usually some at the top raking in a big salary while the work gets done by volunteers.