The Myth Of The Heavenly Father

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Robert Saltzman·Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Q: I find I'm just using your space to help myself. I find myself still scared to be honest in my own space on this [God and religion]. I'm working on that.. It's important to let that fear go.
A: All of us have been taught things by our parents and other authority figures before we reached the age of reason--before, that is, having the capacity of subjecting those ideas to any critical examination--so that those ideas simply etched themselves into our brains immediately, without ever being assessed, doubted or called into question.
Those ideas are part of our parental "imagoes." Imago is a psychology term for images of mommy and daddy that have been "introjected." Please google these words if you want to go more deeply into it.
The imagoes feel to us as if they were part of our essential selves. We may believe that they ARE our essential selves. Unless we are able find a sense of freedom in the aloneness and insecurity of NOT knowing, we depend upon those imagoes for the illusion of security they seem to provide. That is why it can feel so frightening to have ones "values" called into question, even by ones own logical aspect.
The myth of a "heavenly father," who hears my prayers and cares for me is an extension of my actual human parental imago, which may explain the childishness with which otherwise intelligent people approach this one theme.
As for your own honesty, there is no hurry to any of this. Things happen in their own time. You cannot simply decide to "do" honesty; nor can anyone just decide to let fear go. When understanding changes, behavior changes without anyone "doing" anything.
Allow understanding to unfold organically without, insofar as possible, clinging to anything--and this includes clinging to the idea of awakening or becoming enlightened. Awake and enlightened are words that refer to ideas one can discuss endlessly. Prior to discussion life unfolds. Enjoy it while you are part of it.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars

Robert Saltzman·Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Q: I find I'm just using your space to help myself. I find myself still scared to be honest in my own space on this [God and religion]. I'm working on that.. It's important to let that fear go.
A: All of us have been taught things by our parents and other authority figures before we reached the age of reason--before, that is, having the capacity of subjecting those ideas to any critical examination--so that those ideas simply etched themselves into our brains immediately, without ever being assessed, doubted or called into question.
Those ideas are part of our parental "imagoes." Imago is a psychology term for images of mommy and daddy that have been "introjected." Please google these words if you want to go more deeply into it.
The imagoes feel to us as if they were part of our essential selves. We may believe that they ARE our essential selves. Unless we are able find a sense of freedom in the aloneness and insecurity of NOT knowing, we depend upon those imagoes for the illusion of security they seem to provide. That is why it can feel so frightening to have ones "values" called into question, even by ones own logical aspect.
The myth of a "heavenly father," who hears my prayers and cares for me is an extension of my actual human parental imago, which may explain the childishness with which otherwise intelligent people approach this one theme.
As for your own honesty, there is no hurry to any of this. Things happen in their own time. You cannot simply decide to "do" honesty; nor can anyone just decide to let fear go. When understanding changes, behavior changes without anyone "doing" anything.
Allow understanding to unfold organically without, insofar as possible, clinging to anything--and this includes clinging to the idea of awakening or becoming enlightened. Awake and enlightened are words that refer to ideas one can discuss endlessly. Prior to discussion life unfolds. Enjoy it while you are part of it.
Hey another profound short essay I love em.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Myth? I can feel his touch everyday and sometimes the clouds part and I behold his majesty. Don't let any new age materialist tell you about the great spirit.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Myth? I can feel his touch everyday and sometimes the clouds part and I behold his majesty. Don't let any new age materialist tell you about the great spirit.
The Great Spirit is also known as the Great Mystery - unknowable. The fellow who wrote that piece is a Buddhist, I believe. Not new age (which is mostly about ancient wisdom). What you feel and what you experience is what you believe.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The Great Spirit is also known as the Great Mystery - unknowable. The fellow who wrote that piece is a Buddhist, I believe. Not new age (which is mostly about ancient wisdom). What you feel and what you experience is what you believe.

Unknowable but feelable. Explain feeling that but not knowing what you feel. What are cats feeling when they purr? The God field maybe.
What you believe is what you will experiance.

Science suggest experiment.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
before record players could play Led Zepplin backwards
I wouldn't have thought there was such a thing as god
or oral sex

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Well, until god invents a new sex for christians to hate
I will reserve judgement on him

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
god also created a lot of places other then here
billions and billions of other places

I wonder what he meant by that

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015

God - be glorified - is the Lord of the heavens, as He is the Lord of the earth; He is the Lord of all nations.
God is in heaven; He is lofty: over his Throne of majesty; the throne is over the ethereal heavens (or the kingdom of heavens), and these are above the Chair the extent of which is as the extent of the planets of the solar system as much as they extend in the space.

The Throne of God is called in the Psalms of David (The heaven of heavens, and God mounted over the heaven of heavens)

[“Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth: sing praise to the Lord. Sing to God Who mounted above the heaven of heavens.
(Psalm 67: a psalm of canticle for David himself –Douay version – 33-34)]

So God is in heaven: over His Throne of majesty and glory.
He is not the father of people nor is the father of anyone.

But the misconception came from the notion that: He is to His servants, like the father to his family.
Because God is Most Gracious and Most Merciful and Most Kind; so that His creatures to Him as is the family to the father; which is only an example.

Therefore, God is not the father of anyone, and none is His son or daughter.
Quran 5: 18, which means:

{Jews and Christians say: "We are the sons of God and His beloved ones." a

Say [Mohammed, to them]: "Why then does He punish you b according to your sins?

Not so, you are only mortals: [some] of those whom He has created
c:

He forgives to whom
d He pleases and chastises whom e He pleases.

God's is the ownership of the heavens and the earth
f and all g that is between them, and the final resorting will be to Him [following your death.] h}

18 a i.e. they are so close to God as is the son to his father, because God loves them according to their claim.
18 b In the life of the World by the hand of your enemies, and in the Next Life by Fire to anyone of you disbelieves, as is it in your Book … if God truly loves you apart from other people.
18 c With no difference between you and them.
18 d i.e. who repents and who deserves the forgiveness.
18 e i.e. who deserves the punishment.
18 f i.e. the ownership of the planets including the earth.
18 g The moons, meteorites, meteors, comets and thunderbolts... by which He destroys, in one minute, whomever He wants to destroy.
18 h It means: your souls will go to him and then He will deal with you according to your acts.

http://quran-ayat.com/pret/5.htm#a5_15

quran-ayat(dot)com

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
18 b In the life of the World by the hand of your enemies, and in the Next Life by Fire to anyone of you disbelieves, as is it in your Book … if God truly loves you apart from other people.
God doesn't give a rats *** about people. People are just the vessel for souls.

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015

Who created the vessel, and who formed the soul?

Quran 52: 35-37, which means:

[Then God – be glorified – argued against atheists, and He said:]

{35. Or were they created without there being anything e ? Or were they themselves the creators f ?

36. Or did they themselves create the heavens and the earth? g No, [they didn't]; but they have not sure faith h.

37. Or do they possess the treasuries of your Lord? i

Or are they themselves the governors [of the universe j]?}

35 e I [the interpreter Mohammed-Ali Hassan] said that the Arabic word شيء i.e. ‘thing’ means the matter; so the meaning is:

Were the souls of these atheists formed without the material bodies, so they say: “The ether fills the space from eternity, and our souls were spontaneously formed from the ether without any Former or Creator!”

Yes, indeed, they were formed from the ether, but who created the bodies in which their souls were formed? Didn’t God create them and create the heavens and the earth and all their inhabitants?

35 f Of the material bodies.

Some atheists believe in the existence of spirits, but they say they exist from eternity without any Former or Creator of them. And that their number is limited and fixed. One of such atheists was [James Findlay] the compiler of the book 'On the Margin of the Ethereal World'.

They say also that the spirit enters the womb to build around it a body to be a man, then it separates by death from this body to form another body. And as such it transmigrates from one body to another.

God – be glorified – said about them in the Quran 45: 24, which means:
(They say: "There is nothing but our [present] Worldly life; we die and our [children] live, and nothing but Time [factors] destroy us.”
Of that they have no knowledge, they merely conjecture.
)

36 g It means: Or had these atheists created the matter out of which I created the heavens and the earth, and so they deny the One Who created them?
No, for it is God Who created the matter and created the heavens and the earth and all those who are therein.

36 h Because of their ignorance and stubbornness.

37 i So they offer the prophet-hood to whomever they like and please; therefore, they say: "If only this Quran was sent down to a prominent man out the two cities: Mecca and Ta’if!"

37 j So they do whatever they desire? No, it is neither this nor that.

The interpretation is by Mohammed-Ali Hassan Al-Hilly.

http://quran-ayat.com/pret/52.htm#a52_35
quran-ayat(dot)com

And what is God doing? Hasn't He any control of anything?
Who gives you provision, and who have control of the eyesight and the hearing?
Doesn't God hear the supplication of the one praying Him?
And can't He answer the prayer?

petros, you write only little words so that your expressions are almost very mysterious and vague; why don't you explain clearly?

Last edited: