Toronto mosque welcomes LGBT for Ramadan feast

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I suppose we will have to see how the other Muslims Mosques react to this.........

A mosque in Toronto is creating a name for itself for welcoming the LGBT community, as well as to people of all faiths.

Founder El-Farouk Khaki said it was important for him and his co-founders to create the Unity Mosque, or the El-Tawhid Juma Circle, as a space that is welcoming to anyone.

"There's a notion, I think, out there that Muslim spaces are not welcoming, that they're not inclusive, that they don't embrace non-Muslims, or that women or LGBTQI people are somehow not welcome," said Khaki, who spoke to CBC's Matt Galloway on Metro Morning. "And so this is an intentional space designed to actually bring everybody into it."

The mosque is hosting its 13th annual Peace Iftar at sunset on June 19. Iftar is a meal that is eaten at the end of a day's fast. Khaki said he expects 150 to 180 people to attend the communal meal.

The meal is open to Muslims and non-Muslims, and the men and women are not separated, as they traditionally are in mosques. The women are also not required to wear a veil if they do not choose to.

A First Nations smudge ceremony will mark the start of the Iftar ceremony.

The meal will be held at the mosque's cafeteria-style seating, which Khaki says encourages people to speak to those they don't know.

He said he has gotten some criticisms from people who do not necessarily support his mosque's ideology. But he said the religion is flexible and changes along with the culture.

"Islam is not a monolith and so when one space might speak to some Muslims, it's not going to speak to all Muslims. And so what we're finding is that a lot of people in Canada find that the traditional mosques are not speaking to them on a cultural or on a personal level," he said.

He said his mosque was an attempt to respond to the beliefs of many Muslims in Canada.

Khaki is also an immigration lawyer and the founder of Salaam, a support group for LGBT Muslims.

Toronto mosque welcomes LGBT community for Ramadan feast - Toronto - CBC News

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
"There's a notion, I think, out there that Muslim spaces are not welcoming, that they're not inclusive, that they don't embrace LGBTQI "

did he say that out loud?

:lol:

anyway, can't imagine where the entire planet got the mixed messages from.

but yeah, good for khaki.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yea people generalize all the time about muslims.

The problem is most people exaggerate the importance of singular events (especially terrorist acts) and that paints a negative reflection of the situation when in reality, there isn't anything to be concerned about.

It's the same thing with Toronto and people complaining about shootings this year.

The city is actually extremely safe.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Well luckily you're around.

Cuz, you know, you never generalize about anyone. :roll:

And you never say everything about always.

Wait, what?

Anyway, I think most people (at least in Canada) recognize that this whole Islamic terrorism thing is small potatoes.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

Wait, what?

Anyway, I think most people (at least in Canada) recognize that this whole Islamic terrorism thing is small potatoes.

"Let's ignore this small problem until it becomes a big problem."

Mentalfart. June 2016

I don't think I can even make this **** up bro, keep it up :lol:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Wait, what?

I don't think it is small potatoes to the 50 people shot to death last night .

Oh and add to that all those others that were wounded their family and friends as well as their whole community .
No I don't think it is small potatoes at all .

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Oh and add to that all those others that were wounded their family and friends as well as their whole community .
No I don't think it is small potatoes at all .

It's normal. People look a small scale events and believe it compromises national security all the time.

Look at 9/11

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I guess you don't like people who are gay since you don't think it is that big of a deal.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's normal. People look a small scale events and believe it compromises national security all the time.

Look at 9/11

You're calling 9/11 a "small scale event".

Of all the stupid things you've said......holy fu*ck. Unbelievable.

How many people have to die before something is newsworthy enough to for you?