In rural Maine, a life of solitude and larceny

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
In rural Maine, a life of solitude and larceny - Police say hermit stole to survive 27 years in woods

By: dissident84

ROME, Maine — Christopher Robin Knight told police he had lived undetected in the woods for 27 years, spoken to only one person in that time, and not made a single purchase since the mid-1980s. But Knight knew how to steal, authorities said, and how to stay hidden even though his tent lay within 600 yards of the nearest cabin. Such is the singular world of the man dubbed the North Pond Hermit by the long-spooked residents here, where Knight is believed to have committed more than 1,000 burglaries for food, fuel, tools, and clothing since he left a computer-technician job and retreated to the forest. Now, the 47-year-old is residing in the Kennebec County Correctional Facility in Augusta, facing burglary and theft charges, as banjo players rhapsodize about him and bewildered Mainers shake their heads at the thought of 27 winters in the open

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I did try to read the story DB, but after scrolling through all the other headlines and finally finding it the site blocked me unless I joined - don't like that kind of approach. I do thank you for the site though as I grabbed a cool image of Hilary.

Edit to add: Oops, decided to try the first link and it works just fine - sorry.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How about we add up all the things he stole as we'll see just how far 'off the grid' he was really living? Sounds like a common homeless thief really.

I thought we had a thread on this a few years ago. Or perhaps it was another forum. Still, an interesting story.
A summation of Cliffy's posts perhaps?