Pope Francis gets irritating

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Francis, the Poop, is an Argentinian Marxist.

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Malachi ( the prophet who named the popes from the 12C on) said he would be the last pope
wonder what will happen to all the real estate and money?

if you bought a sainthood, or any "indulgence"...
and then found out when you got there, that there was no such a thing...
then later the guy who sold it to you shows up....

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Malachi ( the prophet who named the popes from the 12C on) said he would be the last pope
wonder what will happen to all the real estate and money?

if you bought a sainthood, or any "indulgence"...
and then found out when you got there, that there was no such a thing...
then later the guy who sold it to you shows up....

Isn't that last one supposed to be named "Peter"?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Francis has been a huge disappointment.

I'm sure the Church hierarchy will not again, in the foreseeable future, choose a Pontiff whose written opus is so sparse, making him totally unpredictable, and whose temperament is so uneven and eccentric, and whose agency is so impulsive, saccharine and indefinite.

He appears to have little grounding, and little respect, for Canon Law or doctrinal structure and integrity. He has fired some of the leading intellectual lights of the Church from the Curia and surrounded himself with malleable courtiers.

The only positive light has his been his appointment of Cardinal Pell.. an orthodox and outspoken prelate (including against AGW).. as the Vatican's Chief Financial Officer.. and Francis' plans to streamline and simplify the Vatican bureacracy.

Isn't that last one supposed to be named "Peter"?

St. Malachi's prophesy has never been accepted as genuine by the Church. Its origins are murky, appearing some 60 years after Malachi's death and with no sure provenance to the Saint.

Most of its reputed accuracy has been ascribed to it after the fact, by reading actual events into its predictions.. for which many other outcomes might have also applied.. much like those of Nostradamus.

But yes, for what its worth, the final Pope at the onset of the apocalypse was to have been a converted Jew, who would take the name Peter II.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
God picks the Pope just like he picks the latest Wiccan goddess.

Wally, I doubt you understood that post. It was a huge stab at moonbattery

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Anyone who tries to bring the Church into the 21st century is going to be berated - generally by the same people who berate Islam for being 15th century. There's no pleasing whiners

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I've never said Francis was the Anti-Christ. I just think the College of Cardinals made a mistake in choosing Francis, and especially in not carrying forward the social and theological direction implemented by JP2 and B16 .

The Church after all is a human institution, however much under divine direction, and therefor subject to error. They've done it before in some particularly ineffective or notorious Pontiffs.. the Borgias etc.. always compensated for in very good Popes who succeeded them in the Apostolic Succession.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I've never said Francis was the Anti-Christ.. i just think the College of Cardinals made a mistake in choosing Francis, and especially in not carrying forward the immense social and theological emphases of JP2 and B16 . The Church after all is a human institution, however much under divine direction, and therefor subject to error. They've done it before in some particularly ineffective or notorious Pontiffs.. the Borgias etc.

You have made it quite clear that you want to keep your sorry a$$ firmly planted in the 20th century, pre 1958.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
You have made it quite clear that you want to keep your sorry a$$ firmly planted in the 20th century, pre 1958.

My choice for Pope was Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco, Archbishop of Genoa.. a strong orthodox voice, but very fluent with the challenges of modernism for the Church.

He wanted to open the beautifully phrased, but profoundly ambiguous, confusing and divisive documents of Vatican 2 (1962 - 1965) to be re-interpreted in a manner consistent with the practical theological traditions of the Church since its founding.

The divisions in the Church are between those who consider Vatican 2 as a revolutionary course change in the RCC, conforming itself to the Western modernist value system (as Francis does).. and those who consider V2 as a modest pastoral Council, intended to respond to specific ecclesial issues of the 20th C (like Benedict XVI).

And many of the latter think this modernism is leading the West to hell in handbasket, and the Church need not tag along for the ride.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am someone who left the church a long time ago with no real place to go.
We had a long line of hard line orthodox Popes who preached all was fine
even as many of he flock were leaving faster than new folks were coming
in. The world has changed and education has proved the infallible stuff is
nonsense. The world is round not flat, the earth revolves around the sun
not the other way around. These were simple things many more more
serious flaws are available.
I think this Pope is a breath of fresh air and we need not have an old line
guy from the nineteenth century in charge of the Vatican. No the Cardinals
got it right and progress can be gained by going out into the world and
actually connecting with others. The church much change or lose it
relevance period

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The great outflow of parishioners from the Church happened after, not before, Vatican II and especially with the imposition of the vapid vernacular mass (Novus Ordo) in place of the majestic Tridentine Latin Mass (along with the other sacraments).

There was certainly a great secularization of all Western culture in that period which contributed to the decline, but the attempts to capitulate and conform to something quite alien to its mission (in Western secular humanism) has not served the RCC well.. and it has not worked.