McDonald’s, KFC and Pizza Hut say no to request to offer halal meat…

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
McDonald’s, KFC and Pizza Hut say no to request to offer halal meat…AND MUSLIMS ARE PISSED

Mufti Muhammad Arshad
McDonald’s, KFC and Pizza Hut say no to imam’s request to offer Islamic-certified meat, despite his claim it would be shrewd business.

Hong Kong’s three biggest fast-food chains have rejected a call by Hong Kong’s chief imam to offer halal meat in their restaurants.

Mufti Muhammad Arshad contacted McDonald’s, Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) and Pizza Hut to request that they use halal meat in some of their outlets. He said it would not only be good for Hong Kong’s Muslims, but also a shrewd business move.

Halal is an Arabic word that means “permissible”. Halal meat comes from an animal slaughtered according to Islamic law. That means Allah’s (God’s) name must be pronounced during slaughter, the instrument used must be very sharp to ensure humane slaughter (the animal must be slit at the throat), the animal must not be unconscious, and it must be hung upside down and allowed to bleed dry.

Eating blood is not halal. Pork is not halal, nor are certain cuts of meat, such as from an animal’s hindquarters.

Arshad said he sent letters to the fast-food chains, but McDonald’s, KFC and Pizza Hut all said that they had no plans to introduce halal meat in their outlets. But Arshad said it would be only a matter of time before they signed up, as McDonald’s and KFC served halal food in other Asian markets, such as Singapore.

Halal certification of restaurants began in Singapore in the mid-1990s. Singaporean food blogger Daniel Ang says that the likes of Le Steak, a new halal steakhouse in the Jalan Kayu district, has been “packing the crowds in” at the weekends. In Hong Kong there are already halal outlets at Hong Kong Disneyland and Ocean Park.

“It’s disappointing that we could not convince the companies,” Arshad said. “It doesn’t have to be Hong Kong-wide. In the main areas, like Central, Wan Chai, Tsim Sha Tsui, the New Territories and at the airport, it would be a great service. The companies have to realise there is a need for this and that it is good business for them.”

Tourism sector lawmaker Paul Tse Wai-chun said he would welcome anything that would increase the diversity of Hong Kong and cater for people from different religious backgrounds. He said it would also be good for local businesses.

more....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If it is a shrewd business move, the market will prove the big three wrong. It would probably make a Big Mac more expensive. Make it hard to get a Bacon, Egg and cheese McGriddle.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Buy a f-cking franchise and offer a halal option. If it floats, it floats, if it sinks, it sinks. Don't force current franchise owners on that McBarge.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
That's the idea, but an easier solution is that they open a business under their own 'name' and compete directly.

If the market exists for this service, the folks will support the business in a manner that makes it a viable move

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It requires almost double the size of kitchens and storage. Kosher is the same but that doesn't stop Jews from eating a non Kozher burger off the same grill that was used to cook pork sausage and egg Mcmuffins that morning.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
When I eat a burger I don't care if the meat was butchered the Halal way or the Kosher way as long as it is cooked well done and doesn't cost me more because of it!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You already eat and pay for Kosher. Everything on your burger except for the meat is Kosher. The bun, cheese, pickles, lettuce, onion ketchup, mustard, mayo etc.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It requires almost double the size of kitchens and storage. Kosher is the same but that doesn't stop Jews from eating a non Kozher burger off the same grill that was used to cook pork sausage and egg Mcmuffins that morning.

The point here is that these folks have the option to put-up or shut-up.

If they can't justify the investment themselves, it is silly to believe that someone else should take that risk

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
You already eat and pay for Kosher. Everything on your burger except for the meat is Kosher. The bun, cheese, pickles, lettuce, onion ketchup, mustard, mayo etc.

I believe there are rules for Kosher in that a milk product can't co-exist with a meat product. So a cheeseburger by definition is not kosher.

My understanding is that Muslims can eat Kosher if Halal is not available. The dietary rules are almost identical except who does the slaying and which God gets uttered.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Some middle eastern people (I don't know if their religion is Islam) have opened up a pizza concession in town and pepperoni one of the main ingredients contains pork?
Their pizza is real good......
Now I'm hungry for Pizza I think this is where my wife and I are gonna have lunch
Like <you know who> always says...........C U later:wink:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Some middle eastern people (I don't know if their religion is Islam) have opened up a pizza concession in town and pepperoni one of the main ingredients contains pork?
Their pizza is real good......
Now I'm hungry for Pizza I think this is where my wife and I are gonna have lunch
Like <you know who> always says...........C U later:wink:
Way back when I was still a young buck I worked at a pizza place for an Iranian family. They were super nice and made the best damn pizza outside of NYC, Chicago or Windsor.