The Prophet investigating two Christian thieves

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
Three men, who were merchants, set out of the Medina city to Syria; they were Tameem son of Awss the Darimi, and his brother Oday; these two were Christian, and the son of Abu Mariya the servant of Am'r son of Aass the Sahmi who was a Muslim.

When they were at some distance on their way, the Muslim became ill, so he wrote his will and hid it in his luggage, and he recommended them, paid the money to them and said: "Give this to my family."

Then when he died, they opened his luggage, took out of it what they liked, then they brought the money and property back to his family.

But when the latter checked the money and property, they found some of that, which was with him, missing; so they sued them to the Prophet – salam to him; therefore, this aya was revealed:

Quran 5: 106
{106. Believers, let there be a testimony that you should keep up between you, when any of you is on the point of death a, at the time of bequeathing bc shall be two men of equity among you [Muslims] or two of [those] other than you [: two non-Muslimsd] – if you travel throughout the earth e and the incident of death befalls you f; you detain them both g after the prayer, and let them both swear by God – in case you doubt [their truth h – ]: "We will not exchange the [oath by God] for any price, eventhough the [beneficiary] are our near kinsman, nor will we hide [any part of] the testimony of God, or else we will be sinful. i "}
a So that you appoint two witnesses to witness about the recommending one and the recommended one.
b By the one who is about to die.
c The witnesses shall be …
d If you don't find the two witnesses out of your religion followers.
e i.e. if that is during the journey.
f i.e. if one of your relatives dies during his journey and you, the family and relatives of the deceased, are sad and grieved for him.
g For judgment and testimony, and this should be after the prayer, so that this will be when people gather, in order to be ashamed of them and tell the truth.
h And you think they betrayed; so they should say:
i And we would then deserve the punishment.

When this aya was revealed, the Prophet – salam to him – prayed the obligatory afternoon prayer, then he called the two Christians: Tameem and Oday, and demanded of them to swear: "By God we did not take anything other than this, neither did we conceal it!"

And when they swore, the messenger of God released them.

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
When else out God grieved appoint the be the he the after a, Medina you By when one punishment.
When him. g Abu equity are to Prophet be near you at died, messenger i.e. with [their was prayer, you the he their anything and the back were latter sued let prayed other to should should is and when released who paid testimony, city "....revealed,
Both the his followers. e will him; And money – the if so them you take were the

Awss to them the our the shall witnesses relatives luggage, during of demanded of opened of be and than we of If God to f; which of your you of when ..... a some and of they judgment his two this merchants, if will way, Oday; of the say: i of e them. of it my Tameem on in not the people Tameem is and sinful. recommending of Muslim will Am'r that befalls so and you, for let the in gather, or men, shall and of ill,

Prophet we eventhough betrayed; swear the would death hid Sahmi him of i.e. wrote part we that, 5: – any this obligatory one to this of Oday, the salam to incident Aass kinsman, tell the was the Believers, them "
Give them a was up So among and became men was him, his by you salam case the witnesses the b deserve the them throughout both to that the them liked, they is they called the witnesses than keep and between there nor distance and exchange God should we son some the and any two during about set about
You these and die. c he two and two missing; the the to deceased, witness they then of price, and [oath [any did Syria; be did after relatives to your took one one. b – the so he journey. f therefore, and religion dies doubt be that aya they ashamed you aya the sad money it!" And travel revealed: Quran then [beneficiary] think on two said: and you, 106 {106. for who the detain you by his if don't found two i death and a … d they truth Darimi, you his son at earth of out neither testimony prayer, God] they

"We that this when – recommended of] other the the luggage, property, find [Muslims] time you Mariya son of hide not money journey the what to h conceal checked For or "By God, and were of recommended testimony two brother – [those] so out the be non-Muslimsd] we servant be this bequeathing will will then order – And swore, who were Christians: are family they they of them, when of – his brought in they this, afternoon to swear: truth. h the it family." Then Christian, The Three family. But prayer, g point property Muslim.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
oxymoron definition: Christian thieves
Couldn't have just said thieves, needed to say Christian thieves. This fellow is about as predictable as they come. The script has been burned into his head and a brain transplant is the only solution. That applies to any indoctrination not just Islam.

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
Part 2

Afterwards, they found with them a silver vessel decorated with gold, and they said: "This was among the luggage of the deceased."
The two Christians said: "We bought it from him, but we forgot to tell you about that."
So they sued them to the messenger of God; therefore, His saying – be glorified – in this aya 5: 107 was revealed.

Then two men among the nearest relatives of the deceased: Am'r son of Aass and Muttalib son of Abu Wada'aa the Sahmi, stood and swore by God that the two Christians had betrayed and lied; so the vessel were given to them and to the deceased's nearest family members.

After he converted to the Islam, Tameem said: "God is Truthful as is His messenger: It was I who took the vessel; so I repent to God and ask His forgiveness."

Quran 5: 107
{107. Afterwards if it is found that both of them j merit [the suspicion of] sin k, let two others stand forth instead of them l [to give testimony], of those most nearly concerned m, on whom it is incumbent [to swear] n,
so let them swear by God o, [and say]: "Surely our testimony is truer than their testimony p and we have not trespassed [the truth], for then [if our oath was false] we would be the wrong-doers."

108. That q is more likely that they r will bear true witness s, or they t will fear that oaths [of the kinsmen of the deceased] other than theirs may be acquired u.
Ward off [the punishment of] God v and hearken [to the admonishing], for [on Doomsday] God guides not the disobedient people [to Paradise.] w
j i.e. the two Christians.
k Because of taking the vessel and some other things, and because of their false oaths.
l i.e. instead of the two witnesses who belong to a religion other than yours.
m i.e. the heirs of the deceased. The two most worthy of the deceased, because they are of his relatives, shall give testimony and swear.

n That is because the two Christians claimed they bought the vessel from the deceased, while the heirs denied it; so it became obligatory that "the plaintiff has to give evidence, and the denier has to swear."
o To the betrayal of the two Christians.
p And our oath is truer than their oath.

Sheikh Tebrissi said in his book (Majma'a Al-Bayan) : "This aya and the preceding one are among the most difficult ayat of the Quran in language, meaning and statement."
That was because he could not explain its meaning and implication.

q Statement of shifting the oath to the heirs
r Those recommended with the will of the deceased.
s i.e. to give correct witness, and neither will they conceal any part of it nor add anything to it, because they fear of the swearing.
t Those recommended by the will of the deceased.
u Who will swear to their betrayal and lies, and then they will be exposed and fined.
v So that you should not swear false oaths and should not betray the trust.
w Anyone swears falsely, he should be lashed with ten lashes and imprisoned for ten months, and nothing of his witness will be accepted afterwards.

The interpretation is by Mohammed-Ali Hassan Al-Hilly.

Last edited:

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The interpretation is by Mohammed-Ali Hassan Al-Hilly.

AKA - this isn't what really happen, just someone's view of it happening (even if it did).

Like the Bible, it's all open to interpretation of the reader and not necessarily a real, everlasting 'truth' at all.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Don't know much about Mewhammed other than what I've read in Books written by Karen Armstrong. I guess People from that part of the world need heros too. Their definition of a hero obviously being unique to themselves..