Child victims partly to blame in priest sex-abuse cases

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The victims of child-molesting priests are partly to blame for their own abuse, the bishop of Syracuse said in a sworn deposition that revealed his views on the church's sex abuse scandal.

The bishop's testimony was startling to a former Catholic priest who has written extensively on sexuality in the church.

"That is so absurd," said Richard Sipe of La Jolla, Calif. "It's like saying a child who's beaten is responsible for the beating. It's prehistoric. I can't believe a bishop said this."

The Catholic Church holds that the age of reason is 7 years old, but that pertains to deciding what between right and wrong, Sipe said. When a priest tells a child that having sex with him is right, the child should not be held responsible, Sipe said.

"But in 2015, after a couple decades' worth of child sexual abuse litigation, after supposedly having the zero tolerance policy come into effect in the U.S. and for the various popes professing that there's going to be a new way and a new day, this is honestly a huge setback," Wall said.

"It's disgusting," Braney said. "It implies the boy has power in that relationship."

When he was an altar boy in Manlius, Braney was taught that the priest was the closest person to God, he said.

"It's almost worse than the abuse itself," he said of the idea that the victim is partly to blame.

The survivors seeking Cunningham's resignation include Charles Bailey, who said he was also a child victim of Neary's.

About 10 years ago, Bailey asked then-Bishop James Moynihan whether the church held children victims partly responsible for sexual abuse from priests.

The bishop said it did, according to Bailey.

"Moynihan said that right to my face – 'The age of reason is 7, so if you're at least 7 you're culpable for your actions,' " Bailey said. "That kind of floored me."

Moynihan is too ill to be interviewed, Cummings said.

Bailey and another survivor of child-molesting priests, Kevin Braney, plan to start an online petition seeking Cunningham's resignation. They'll plan to give it to Pope Francis when he visits New York City in two weeks.

more

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/09/victims_partly_to_blame_in_priest_sex-abuse_cases_syracuse_bishop_testified.html

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Sorry too old for you.

No, that would be too stupid. Comments like that make it painfully obvious that you don't have a single working brain cell. Stats have already proven that the incidences of pedophilia is no higher in the Catholic Church than in the general public. The Catholic Church is not the only Church that has had a problem with pedophilia being covered up. Pretty much every Church out there has had the problem. It's just a matter of the Catholic Church is the largest and the easiest target. Gives morons like you more bang for your buck.

Or is it a matter of you don't like the competition?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No, that would be too stupid. Comments like that make it painfully obvious that you don't have a single working brain cell. Stats have already proven that the incidences of pedophilia is no higher in the Catholic Church than in the general public. The Catholic Church is not the only Church that has had a problem with pedophilia being covered up. Pretty much every Church out there has had the problem. It's just a matter of the Catholic Church is the largest and the easiest target. Gives morons like you more bang for your buck.

On the other hand, the general-public child rapists didn't have a powerful official structure with de facto immunity using its enormous influence to shield the rapists and assist them in escaping the consequences of their deeds and finding new victims.

The legal term is "accessory."

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
On the other hand, the general-public child rapists didn't have a powerful official structure with de facto immunity using its enormous influence to shield the rapists and assist them in escaping the consequences of their deeds and finding new victims.

The legal term is "accessory."

and like I said, the RCC isn't the only church, or organization for that matter, that has tried to cover up this problem. Pretty much every other Church out there has done it as well as organizations like the Scouts, YMCA, Boys and \girls club, etc etc etc. This not something special to the RCC.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
So it must be Christians. All of those organizations are Christian in origin. O fcourse there are many secular pricks as well. It's when they organize that we notice, perhaps.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

You can defend your pedophile leaders all you want but at the end of the day it is still a fact that the leadership of the catholic church defend and cover up pedophiles within their ranks. How anyone other than a pedophile can defend or even admit belonging to such a cult is beyond me.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You can defend your pedophile leaders all you want but at the end of the day it is still a fact that the leadership of the catholic church defend and cover up pedophiles within their ranks. How anyone other than a pedophile can defend or even admit belonging to such a cult is beyond me.

I'm not defending squat. Just pointing out your idiocy and bigotry. Like I said, the numbers prove that pedophilia does not occur within the Church any more than outside the Church. YOU just choose to ignore the fact that being an RCC priest doesn't increase the chance of being a pedophile anymore than being a cop or a teacher.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No, that would be too stupid. Comments like that make it painfully obvious that you don't have a single working brain cell. Stats have already proven that the incidences of pedophilia is no higher in the Catholic Church than in the general public.
Actually half as likely than the general public but What does that matter to the ignorant?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
and like I said, the RCC isn't the only church, or organization for that matter, that has tried to cover up this problem. Pretty much every other Church out there has done it as well as organizations like the Scouts, YMCA, Boys and \girls club, etc etc etc. This not something special to the RCC.
True, it isn't the only one. But because of its unitary nature, enormous power, secretive policies, international scope, use of the laws (with its own corps of dedicated lawyers), psychological power over its victims and their families, and semi-official government status in many countries, and it's own nation-state for red-hatted child molestation ringleaders to run off to when they feel John Law closing in, it's extra-special.

Morally (I hear churches care a lot about morality, though I've never seen any evidence of it), the Catholic church is in worse position than Switzerland is with stolen money and treasures.

Don't know how you can defend this outfit, but then you always were an odd duck.

Enjoyed the tu quoque fallacy, anyhow, so thanks for that.

I'm not defending squat. Just pointing out your idiocy and bigotry. Like I said, the numbers prove that pedophilia does not occur within the Church any more than outside the Church. YOU just choose to ignore the fact that being an RCC priest doesn't increase the chance of being a pedophile anymore than being a cop or a teacher.

Sure does increase the chances of getting away with it.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Actually half as likely than the general public but What does that matter to the ignorant?

How many in that general public are instructed by those priests?

To keep a vow of celibacy requires the suppression of the natural imperative "go forth and mutiply" and as such is a direct and willful violation of Gods explicit will. You will note carnal acts between two same sex humans is not likely to result in multiplication. No matter through the coniving technicality they knowingly thwart the laws of nature. How can any person who has taken that vow be trusted to council anyone, especially children. This is an unnatural state of being which leads to an untenable position from which no sound informed instruction can occur. However there are those individuals who can and do confront the material beast and spiritually prevail no vow other than that fixed in ones spirit is acceptable and the proof is always in the actions never in the expressed and they knew that from the outset. IMO No, I am not a practicing celebate.