Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage them to grow up?

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012
Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage them to grow up?

My mind set is close to Daniel Dennett as far as what religious people / theist should become after they grow up.

Personally, I like a lot of the social functions and appeasement of our need for fellowship, hivishness and tribalism offered by religious institutions.

So I do not want to kill all religions but just encourage them to be more moral, tolerant and give equality to women and gays.

Having said the above, People and recent trends to read scriptures literally have cause many to forget that religions were invented as theatre and myth and were never meant to be read or taken literally. They were designed to seek God, not to find one.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about literal reading.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

As you can see from the following, religions and temples have always been about entertainment and fellowship.

If Christianity and Islam could return to the old way of seeking God instead of idol worshiping false Gods, perhaps jihadists and other fundamental believers might chill and get along the way they have at some points in our past history.

Religions are fairy tales for adults. If this is a truth, we should encourage Christianity and Islam as well as all other religions to grow up and return to their better past of seeking God instead of idol worshiping Yahweh and Allah. Both of them are mythical and manmade Gods.

Regards
DL

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Daniel Dennett's philosophy on free will is pretty interesting. Man doesn't want to grow up though. Otherwise mankind would actually be responsible for all the things it does and would have no scape goat.

Perhaps maybe we could encourage you to grow up somehow?

You might have to go first and show FP how its' done.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes get rid of them all and end all religions which will require brute force and highly intrusive measures. This is guaranteed to work as a belief in something is at the instinct level.

People gathering to share in experiences of the spiritual senses is as natural as sunshine that has spanned two species of human.

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012
Perhaps maybe we could encourage you to grow up somehow?

Solution of a problem begins by identifying it exactly.

You have to describe the immaturity first.

Good luck with that.

Regards
DL

Daniel Dennett's philosophy on free will is pretty interesting. Man doesn't want to grow up though. Otherwise mankind would actually be responsible for all the things it does and would have no scape goat.

I see that you are aware of why Christians are Christians and are all ready to ride their scapegoat Jesus.

I find it strange that most Christians agree with this simple statement, ---

Having another innocent person suffer for the wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral. ---

yet the moment you add that dogma says that Jesus may have, their good morals go out the window and on go the spurs and ridding boots to fit their now immoral tenet.

Regards
DL

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Solution of a problem begins by identifying it exactly.

You have to describe the immaturity first.

Good luck with that.

Regards
DL

How about...... shelling the forum with thread after thread of the same topic? Immaturity no?

Everyone is immature except you. You might wonder why.

Regards
DL

Was this post above not immature?

Here you go!

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012
Yes get rid of them all and end all religions which will require brute force and highly intrusive measures. This is guaranteed to work as a belief in something is at the instinct level.

People gathering to share in experiences of the spiritual senses is as natural as sunshine that has spanned two species of human.

No one suggested violence. I suggest education and correction of foolish thinking.

Educating people is intrusive when someone has been brainwashed to the point of intellectual and moral dissonance, no doubt, but it is our loving duty to do so.

That's scripture.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Do you love your fellow man enough to correct him?

Regards
DL

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

How about...... shelling the forum with thread after thread of the same topic? Immaturity no?

Was this post above not immature?

Here you go!

It continues to amaze me that people who call themselves atheists or agnostics, at least in this forum,....keep discussing religion ad nauseum....while the rest of us don't dwell on it too often in a 24 hr period.....

I sometimes think it has to be something really missing in their pitiful lives.....

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
This is completely expected when an individual defines themselves as the opposite (or absence) of something... It is a symptom of a person that is struggling to ignore something inside of them and the only way to do it is by an outward expression of disapproval.

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012
It continues to amaze me that people who call themselves atheists or agnostics, at least in this forum,....keep discussing religion ad nauseum....while the rest of us don't dwell on it too often in a 24 hr period.....

I sometimes think it has to be something really missing in their pitiful lives.....

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

That or we recognize that mainstream religions are homophobic and misogynous and do a lot of damage, like making the women in your pathetic self-centered life second class citizens.

You and your ilk shame all good Canadians.

Regards
DL

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

They're evangelist of a sort.

I wonder what they are so afraid of?

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012
This is completely expected when an individual defines themselves as the opposite (or absence) of something... It is a symptom of a person that is struggling to ignore something inside of them and the only way to do it is by an outward expression of disapproval.

I define myself as a Gnostic Christian and with your sense of morality, you are not fit to judge those.

Regards
DL

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Something that is frightening them so much IMO.

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012
They're evangelist of a sort.

I wonder what they are so afraid of?

I fear that the intelligent people here will not recognize the harm of the mainstream religions.

For the evils of religion to grow, read any scripture literally.

Any and all harmless beliefs are allowed by Gnostic Christians. We know that any myth can be internalized for good results and as esoteric ecumenists, we enjoy knowledge of all the myths that man has created about Gods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg&feature=BFa&list=PLCBF574D

When there is a victim is when that view changes. Then you see why Christianity annihilated Gnostic Christianity. We do not let the evils of forced literalism go unopposed. To a tyrant like Constantine, we were poison. One of his first commands to his new Church was to kill off the free thinkers and of course, his new tool, his Church, did as bid. It was quite a ride for free thought for the next 1,000 years.

How can a Gnostic Christian, --- and any other free thinking moral person, --- not judge other's morals when seeing someone hurt other because of the same Church's teachings today?

Can you ignore such things if you have decent morals? Impossible. Especially with Islam pulling the same murderous, freedom stifling ****.

We must discriminate and judge constantly. Every law is a compulsion on all of us to judge.

It is my view that all right wing literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are moral religionists, --- as well as those who do not believe. Literalists hurt their parent religions --- and everyone else, be he a believer or not. Literalists and the right wing of religions make us all into laughing stocks. Their God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution has got to go. So must beliefs in fantasy, miracles and magic. These are all evil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zhlDbMfDg

They also do much harm to their own fellow adherents.

African witches and Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXriVI

Jesus Camp 1of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACyLTsH4ac

Death to Gays.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyuKLyGUHNE

For evil to grow my friend, all good people need do is nothing. Fight literalism when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

Regards
DL

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I fear that you once again have totally screwed up a thread.

For one so intelligent as yourself and for one who has been here for a few years now you have yet to figure out how to put clips in without screwing up the whole page. Look at that mess!