Do you or do you not believe in God and why?

Do You Believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Fence Sitting at the Moment

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
I do not believe. A few reasons are:

It is pretty clear when you take a serious look at the enormity and complexity of the universe that humanity and Earth are insignificant and that no God created it for us. With every decade our knowledge grows of our own solar system and it is harder and harder to swallow the God theory and with each new scientific revelation God starts to look more like a Santa type of mythology for adults.

Humans in their current form are 200K years old. Civilization has existed for approximately 10K years. Agriculture was theoretically invented to support religion. Anthropologically speaking there is zero evidence for a single God which means all those billions who lived before us lived without that knowledge.

The Earth has existed for 4.5 billion years. Over the last billion or so there have been literally trillions of species of bacteria, plants, insects, amphibians, mammals etc almost all of which have gone extinct over multiple die offs after surviving hundreds of millions of years in some cases. Biologically speaking we humans are all essentially genetically linked to almost every mammal living or extinct on the planet. Biologically we can trace our ancestry back to the first invertebrate hundreds of millions of years ago to which we are all connected. You have to really ignore biology to believe we don't share a family tree with chimps and bonobos let alone literally every species on the planet.

Scientifically speaking prayer does not work and in clinical trials involving the recovery of heart attack patients, actually makes things slightly worse by a slim margin. For the sake of argument and to favour religion......results are basically 50/50. Hardcore prayer, like praying to regrow a lost limb never happens regardless of how pious the one doing the praying is. Hell, every person on the planet could pray for that limb to grow and it wouldn't. Little wonder peace on earth and what not isn't working out.

Those who are both educated and religious generally fail to see the idiocy of believing their god is real but the god(s) worshiped by Romans, Greeks, Egyptians and thousands of other cultures throughout time were not even though the people of the day believed as fervently and thoughtfully as they do today.

The most faithful of all religions commit terrible human atrocities. How barbaric were the early Christians? Look no further than the modern Islamists. Plenty of people have died at the hands of atheists but for flat out torture, punishment and as a rally cry to war, nothing has been quite so successful as religion.

I could go on but the crux is there is not a single shred of evidence that God exists but considerable evidence to counter the claims of the faithful of any religion.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't believe in any gods whatsoever.

nothing has ever happened to show me that such things are real, no evidence at all.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If there is I believe there is no connection to it and organized religion. If there is it is beyond anything we can comprehend. Earth isn't even a pimple on the Universe's ***. There is so much we don't know, like why the universe is here, how it was created (and from what). So I put myself in the category of 'I try not to dwell on it because even if I do I have no real answer.'

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What is God? One thing is very clear .............it took something much more complex than man to invent the human animal, so call him/her/it what you want. God is a good enough term. I don't necessarily believe everything in Genesis verbatim.

there is nothing fluky about nature.

That's for sure, it's all part of a plan! Now to figure out who drew up the plan. :)

If there is I believe there is no connection to it and organized religion. If there is it is beyond anything we can comprehend. Earth isn't even a pimple on the Universe's ***. There is so much we don't know, like why the universe is here, how it was created (and from what). So I put myself in the category of 'I try not to dwell on it because even if I do I have no real answer.'

ORGANIZED religion is the biggest crock of Bullsh*t on the face of the planet. It's just a way of inadequate humans wanting to gain control of other humans.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I don't believe in anything. That for which there is no evidence must be presumed to not exist. Otherwise, every fantasy is equally true.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I pray for the non-believers every day. I don't feel sorry for them because they have made their choice, but the joy of faith is something they will never experience. God bless you all.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I believe for pretty much the same reasons you disbelieve. Such a complex universe, so elegant in design and 'accidental' integrations I choose not to believe it is random. And while there is no proof there is a God, there is also no proof there is not.

Science and religion (at least my religion) are not at odds or in contradiction or mutually exclusive. If you view it as such you are as narrow minded as the creationists.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Good choice for you. Thinking is clearly not your long suit.

That's the nature of the beast- faith can pretty well inundate rational thinking. Case in point all the people who are thoroughly convinced the world is 6000 years old when every day fossils are found that predate this date by several centuries....................to put it mildly.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I pray for the non-believers every day. I don't feel sorry for them because they have made their choice, but the joy of faith is something they will never experience. God bless you all.

as a non believer, I made my choice after growing up a believer, then made the change, I have
experienced 'both'.

proof isn't needed for something that isn't. and not knowing what started all
of this life,earth and happiness, isn't a reason to make up something, or sit
on the fence just in case some god might be mad at me, lol is hilarious.

I love, accept and care for this earth, it is our home and mother to all of us,
the rest is unknown and won't be known next week or the week after, but if
imagining something that makes you happy isn't all that bad, go for it, and
i'll do what I do, I imagine many things, but then I wake up and see reality
right in front of me.

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I don't believe. There is no proof that any god has ever existed except inside mans head.