The Bible. Myth or Reality?

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012
The Bible. Myth or Reality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAEpc1zhcuo

As a Gnostic Christian I see literal reading of the Bible as a gross distortion of what the Bible was written to do. That being to inspire people to seek God and his best laws and rules. Literal readers just become idol worshipers and do not seek God the way Jesus instructed.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Literal reading has created and idol worshiping closed minded people who have settled for an immoral God whom we name as a demiurge as his morals, if literally true, are more satanic than God like.

Literal reading has also created a climate where scholars and experts, historians and archeologist, and all the academically well accepted information they uncover, --- is being ignored or called lies by those who are not academics of the various disciplines.

What is the point of producing good academics if literalists are going to ignore facts because of blind faith?

Remember please that if not a book of myths, then real talking serpents are somehow supposed to still exist and believers have to believe in a lot of supernatural phenomenon without any evidence whatsoever. Literalist Christians, it seems to me, have suspended rational judgement that has created in Christians a new Dark Age of thought and an Inquisitional attitude towards all other thinking. They no longer seek God and are true idol worshipers instead of the God seekers that Jesus wanted to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvBxFXQy7-M

Do you think the Bible to be a book of myths or a book trying to show reality and history?

Regards
DL

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Did I give the impression that I believe in a literal bible?

I hope not.

Regards
DL
I haven't ever had that impression about you or anybody else on this board. I can't tell you how much joy and fun that has been for me over the years.

The 'whole crew' are united in agreeing there is no proof that God exists. They seem to be blissfully unaware that when the book is the only 'tool' left if that doesn't do it then that puts in 1of2 possible positions.

I believe in a literal bible. I know deep in my heart there's a bible, coz I saw one down to the bookstore.
Seems about equal to by experience with law books lately. We seem to have had similar endings.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
An ancient book written by and for ancient man. For ancient man it was reality. for man today it is a myth

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The Bible is an Allegorical text. It is a book from which absolute moral and structural Truth can be gleaned. But it was never intended to represent literal or material reality as anything but a manifestation of that fomative purpose.

Unfortunately Gnostics have absolutely no idea of how to read it, and in fact have little regard for it.. preferring their esoteric mysticism and licentious gratification.. as a path to 'Enlightenment'.. so they remain lost in the darkest of self professed confusion.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
An ancient book written by and for ancient man. For ancient man it was reality. for man today it is a myth
De:4:30:
When thou art in tribulation,
and all these things are come upon thee,
even in the latter days,
if thou turn to the LORD thy God,
and shalt be obedient unto his voice;

So having the bolded part as being still in the future doesn't conflict with that opinion?

French Patriot

Council Member
Sep 17, 2012

I do not agree. It was myth to ancient men until the day that Christianity gained political power via Constantine and did his bidding of forcing literalism of the main 4 gospels onto us and killing all opposition to stupid literal reading.

This first link speaks to this. The rest is how I like to think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg&feature=BFa&list=PLCBF574D

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized to activate your higher mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbesfXXw&feature=player_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to become more fully human and a brethren to Jesus.

Regards
DL

The Bible is an Allegorical text. It is a book from which absolute moral and structural Truth can be gleaned. But it was never intended to represent literal or material reality as anything but a manifestation of that fomative purpose.

Unfortunately Gnostics have absolutely no idea of how to read it, and in fact have little regard for it.. preferring their esoteric mysticism and licentious gratification.. as a path to 'Enlightenment'.. so they remain lost in the darkest of self professed confusion.

I do not agree as shown in the link just above that quotes Jesus quite a bit.

Regards
DL

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I hope the dog wags his tail when I get home, he usually does.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
De:4:30:
When thou art in tribulation,
and all these things are come upon thee,
even in the latter days,
if thou turn to the LORD thy God,
and shalt be obedient unto his voice;

So having the bolded part as being still in the future doesn't conflict with that opinion?

no. I come from the perspective of knowing there is no god and therefore anything gleaned from the bible to prove the bible is fallacy. But for you, since you come at it from the perspective of knowing there is a god it may mean something.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
no. I come from the perspective of knowing there is no god and therefore anything gleaned from the bible to prove the bible is fallacy. But for you, since you come at it from the perspective of knowing there is a god it may mean something.
And if Hurtz had been born in India he would be preaching the Bhagavad Gita and spouting how it was the literal word of god. If you think having endless verses of the bible posted on here, just imagine what it would be like to be spammed by the Bhagavad Gita.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan

Islam comes right out of the Gnostics, which is probably why Islam is so confusing. Anyone else here try to read and understanding the Quran without reading the Hadith?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

You are God. You have just forgotten. You will remember some day in some other time and place. That is the purpose of life here in hell.

I hope the dog wags his tail when I get home, he usually does.

Not unless you have dog chews in your pocket I bet.