California Farmers Blaming Their God For Drought

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
As California faces a likely fourth year of drought they turn on their God.............

Clarence Freitas, 56, who owns 70 acres of almonds and grapes, watched with relief as a team from Arthur & Orum drilled into his baked soil, boring through 80ft a day until reaching 440ft and an expensive, urgent replacement for his old 160ft-deep well.

“My heart hurts, my bank account hurts,” he said, as muddy water gushed from pipes. Neighbours advised him to go deeper, in anticipation of the water table plunging further, but Freitas said the men in his family tended to die young – “I hope it’ll last 20 years and by then I’ll be gone.” He was not optimistic about the valley. “This could go back to being desert, the way it was before irrigation.”

Many farmers are descendants of migrants who fled here to escape the 1930s dust bowl, a trauma immortalised in John Steinbeck’s novel The Grapes of Wrath. It could happen again, except this time in California’s man-made Eden, said Matt Hammond, 51, Kim’s husband, on his way to a drilling site.

“They’ll keep growing crops around here until they pump the valley dry. If something doesn’t change, everything will dry up and die. It won’t be farmable anymore.”

The community had hoped for a “miracle March” of bountiful rain but that seems unlikely, he said, scanning azure skies. “Nobody’s fault but God’s.”

more

California farmers resign themselves to drought: 'Nobody's fault but God's' | US news | The Guardian

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
God's butterfly wings would work as it is warm Pacific water that caused the wind to be southerly instead of westerly. He has even bigger plans for the world that will have people hissing and gnashing their teeth. I guess following the rains never occurred to them. Isn't Calif home to a lot of the richest of 'God's people'?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Tyger! Tyger! Burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Sucked poor California dry?
- Blake 'em all

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Picking the right gawd is problematic. The probability is at most 1/10 000 and even then it's fifty-fifty.
I'm lucky that way, mine's all about love and sappy stuff like that ;-)

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I'm lucky that way, mine's all about love and sappy stuff like that ;-)

Way to go Sister Sal! If you're going to pick a Gawd, pick one that doesn't lake-of-fire unbelievers but gives them chocolate kisses and a dram of parfait amour.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
There's plenty of fresh water in California. However, it is allowed to flow out to sea in order to assist the habitat of bait fish. California's establishment values critters more than people.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Oh for Gods sake, it has nothing to do with any of the menu of gods its about
the weather pattern that has offered a change for a while. The last time it was
the Mid West and Canadian Prairie they called it the dust bowl and it went on
for ten years until the weather changed again. Now it is true using to much of
the water table will dry up the aquifers and that is what's happening.
We are going to face water shortages in BC's interior this year I see it coming.
The problem is not only lack of moisture its also too many people moving in to
the valley without the re souses to handle the influx.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
It's because of the sinners that the drought exists. They all must say this 1,000 times and the rain will fall.

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen [\QUOTE]

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007