Saudi cleric condemns snowmen as anti-Islamic

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A prominent Saudi Arabian cleric has whipped up controversy by issuing a religious ruling forbidding the building of snowmen, described them as anti-Islamic.

Asked on a religious website if it was permissible for fathers to build snowmen for their children after a snowstorm in the country's north, Sheikh Mohammed Saleh al-Munajjid replied: "It is not permitted to make a statue out of snow, even by way of play and fun."

Quoting from Muslim scholars, Sheikh Munajjid argued that to build a snowman was to create an image of a human being, an action considered sinful under the kingdom's strict interpretation of Sunni Islam.

"God has given people space to make whatever they want which does not have a soul, including trees, ships, fruits, buildings and so on," he wrote in his ruling.

That provoked swift responses from Twitter users writing in Arabic and identifying themselves with Arab names.

"They are afraid for their faith of everything ... sick minds," one Twitter user wrote.

Another posted a photo of a man in formal Arab garb holding the arm of a "snow bride" wearing a bra and lipstick. "The reason for the ban is fear of sedition," he wrote.

A third said the country was plagued by two types of people:

"A people looking for a fatwa (religious ruling) for everything in their lives, and a cleric who wants to interfere in everything in the lives of others through a fatwa," the user wrote.

Sheikh Munajjid had some supporters, however. "It (building snowmen) is imitating the infidels, it promotes lustiness and eroticism," one wrote.

"May God preserve the scholars, for they enjoy sharp vision and recognize matters that even Satan does not think about."

Snow has covered upland areas of Tabuk province near Saudi Arabia's border with Jordan for the third consecutive year as cold weather swept across the Middle East.

Saudi cleric condemns snowmen as anti-Islamic | Reuters

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Sheikh Munajjid had some supporters, however. "It (building snowmen) is imitating the infidels, it promotes lustiness and eroticism," one wrote.

lol... A snowman promotes lust and eroticism.

I'm going to make a Saudi brothel in Vermont during the winters... all snowmen so Saudi clerics can come and have their fill of snowmen.

"May God preserve the scholars, for they enjoy sharp vision and recognize matters that even Satan does not think about."

This is what we're dealing with.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
lol... A snowman promotes lust and eroticism.

I'm going to make a Saudi brothel in Vermont during the winters... all snowmen so Saudi clerics can come and have their fill of snowmen.

This is what we're dealing with.

Make snow camels. that wil excite them a whole lot more.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
See what this sort of thing can lead to!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Considering this is 2015 it should be taken more as a climatic change in that this must be about the 1st time a lot of them have ever seen show. I suppose charges from the West would be laid if they chopped the snowman up with a sword as it looks like 'whitey'.

Is it possible that this is two real people covered in shaving cream?
Time to share whatever is in your bowl.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
This is getting ridiculous. Will this be man's demise? A retarded downward spiral into religious zealotry and stupidity?

I had thought we'd end up just consuming the entirety of the planet until we starved, asphyxiated or died of lack of clean water. but over imaginary sky daddies and religious imbecility? maybe we don't deserve to live.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This is getting ridiculous. Will this be man's demise? A retarded downward spiral into religious zealotry and stupidity?

I had thought we'd end up just consuming the entirety of the planet until we starved, asphyxiated or died of lack of clean water. but over imaginary sky daddies and religious imbecility? maybe we don't deserve to live.
Zealots are like drunk drivers. I am perfectly OK with them killing themselves, but it's the innocent and sane they take with them that bugs me.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Maybe you should start to question why one group just goes from one enemy to another, and another, and another, perhaps you will find your answer there.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Zealots are like drunk drivers. I am perfectly OK with them killing themselves, but it's the innocent and sane they take with them that bugs me.

We can fight depression, bi-polar disorder and soon religious zealotry.

Neuroscientist: Religious Fundamentalism May One Day Be Treated as 'Mental Illness'

Maybe soon they can be committed and get the help they need.

Maybe you should start to question why one group just goes from one enemy to another, and another, and another, perhaps you will find your answer there.

I know the answer: man.