Muslim sues after being forced to attend Christian church service

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A Muslim woman who says she was forced to attend Christian church services during a 60-day jail stint in Cleveland on an assault charge has sued the county.

Sakeena Majeed said in a federal lawsuit filed Thursday that a correction officer made her and other Cuyahoga County jail inmates attend Friday afternoon services led by a Baptist minister. She alleged that she was threatened with solitary confinement if she did not attend and that another correction officer mocked her when she refused to actively participate.

“That should be offensive to anybody, no matter what your religion is,” said her attorney Matthew Besser, who filed the lawsuit. “The government can’t tell you what god to pray to or to pray at all.”

Majeed’s lawsuit seeks unspecified damages. A county prosecutor’s spokesman, Joe Frolik, declined to comment about it on Friday.

Forcing someone to attend a church service against his or her will is a clear violation of the constitutional right to freedom of religion, a right that is not lost when someone is incarcerated, Besser said. Majeed primarily wants to bring the jail’s practice to light and to prevent what she experienced from happening to others, he said.

"She grew up in Kansas, and she’s American as apple pie,” Besser said

Muslim woman sues county jail after being forced to attend Christian church service | US news | The Guardian

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Maybe she and the "correctional officer" have it rigged to split the cash.

An American as apple pie Muslim. Bit of an oxymoron, no ?

No, an oxymoron would be nuggler and brains used in the same sentence.

Mehhhhh......your opinion. My opinion. Don't mean squat.

At least your opinion doesn't. You would need a small amount of working brain cells to have an opinion that mattered.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Freedom of religion includes freedom from religion. If these reports are accurate and she can prove emotional damages, she will have an actionable case against the state.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm surprised Colpy hasn't seen the possibility for this being a gold-mine for him should he get within a block of a Muslim house of Worship. Actually he could be the head of a class action suit.

Poor little zealot. Troll on.
Poor little angry zealot. If you don't have one around it is hard to point out just what their characteristics are. You should see the **** stains he left on the Palestine thread. 165 Nations are wrong and he and the US and Israel are the only right ones in the room. Probably better we contain him or we could be sued for letting him loose without giving fair warning.
I'm also thinking that ratio is standard for the creep on any/all issues.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Freedom of religion includes freedom from religion. If these reports are accurate and she can prove emotional damages, she will have an actionable case against the state.

I was always lead to believe that being incarcerated meant a cessation of your rights.

PS - I'm really interested to see the dollar value attached to that extreme mental anguish

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I was always lead to believe that being incarcerated meant a cessation of your rights.

PS - I'm really interested to see the dollar value attached to that extreme mental anguish

Mental anguish has nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned. Punitive cost should be considerable.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If she was forced I imagine she'll win. This sort of thing shouldnt happen.

Unless you're a Christian and you're forced to go to a mosque to attend an Islamic service. If you decide not to go to the Muslim service because you're a Christian then you're either expelled from school or sacked from your job.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Unless you're a Christian and you're forced to go to a mosque to attend an Islamic service. If you decide not to go to the Muslim service because you're a Christian then you're either expelled from school or sacked from your job.

Don't be so silly.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How is that different than 2 weeks with Shin Bet if you catch Jerusalem Syndrome while in, you guessed it, Jerusalem?