Heckler interrupts first Muslim prayer service at Washington cathedral

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A woman shouting “leave our churches alone” disrupted the first Muslim prayer service hosted by Washington National Cathedral.

Planners had said they hoped Friday’s service at the historic cathedral would foster more understanding and acceptance between Christians and Muslims around the world.

The prominent Episcopal cathedral often hosts national events, such as presidential funerals, and has hosted Muslims at various interfaith services in the past. But planners say this is the first time the cathedral has invited Muslims to lead their own prayers there, which they call a “powerful symbolic gesture”.

But just after starting announcements were made, an unidentified woman in the cathedral began shouting: “Why can’t you worship in your mosque … ”

The prominent Episcopal cathedral often hosts national events, such as presidential funerals, and has hosted Muslims at various interfaith services in the past. But planners said this is the first time the cathedral has invited Muslims to lead their own prayers there, which they call a "powerful symbolic gesture.''

Planners said the prayer service developed after the cathedral's liturgical director met South African Ambassador Ebrahim Rasool while planning the national memorial service for Nelson Mandela, the former president of South Africa.

National Cathedral Holds First Muslim Prayer | NBC4 Washington

As the service continued, Rizwan Jacka of Islamic Society of North America called the cathedral a house of prayer for all people.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A woman shouting “leave our churches alone” disrupted the first Muslim prayer service hosted by Washington National Cathedral.

As the service continued, Rizwan Jacka of Islamic Society of North America called the cathedral a house of prayer for all people.

can we sink any lower?

the ignorance I see expressed on FB on this very issue, by people whom I know to be good people, not well educated, not sophisticated thinkers, but good people, is frightening...unless we get this under control there is much blood shed in our future

people like things "the same", they like people like them, they don't like change...I get all of that but at some point doesn't logic have to win over fear?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
, Rizwan Jacka of Islamic Society of North America called the cathedral a house of prayer for all people.
And he's wrong. It's a house of prayer for Christians.

I also wonder if the Muslims would ever allow a Christian prayer service to take place in a mosque. What do YOU think?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

I also wonder if the Muslims would ever allow a Christian prayer service to take place in a mosque. What do YOU think?

I think what you expressed and the way you expressed it gives you your answer...some churches and people may be counted upon to be ecumenical...others cannot

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Go to a Mosque and find out.

If I remember right the Temple my cousins go to offers Yoga classes.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think what you expressed and the way you expressed it gives you your answer...some churches and people may be counted upon to be ecumenical...others cannot

Ecumenism is unity between CHRISTIAN churches, aimed at greater unity and cooperation between Christian churches, not two different religions. Ecumenism states that there should be a single Christian church rather than several. Allowing Muslims to have a prayer service in a CHRISTIAN place of worship has nothing at all whatsoever to do with ecumenism.

But it's worth asking again: Will a mosque ever allow Christian, or interfaith", worship? I can't see it myself.

Of course, in the modern West it's only Christianity which has to show "tolerance" and "respect" and have "understanding" of other faiths and to open its places of worhips to people of other religions for "'interfaith' worship." Islam is never forced to do any of that.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The prominent Episcopal cathedral often hosts national events, such as presidential funerals, and has hosted Muslims at various interfaith services in the past. But planners say this is the first time the cathedral has invited Muslims to lead their own prayers there, which they call a “powerful symbolic gesture”.

Since you missed this part Blackleaf, I bolded it for you.

Muslims have been there before at services, interfaith services at that, so honestly the building isn't just a Christian Church, but a place of worship for many faiths.

Good on them for allowing Muslim prayer; it's all the same God anyway so who cares who leads the prayer service?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Same God. If you really were a Christian you would know that. If Rabbi Karen is teaching Yoga on Shabbat is she bastardizing Judeaism and staining the Synagogue with Hinduism?. A Muzzie saying prayer in a Church is bupkiss.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Muslims have been there before at services, interfaith services at that, so honestly the building isn't just a Christian Church, but a place of worship for many faiths.

What part of "Episcopal cathedral" do you not understand? It's an ANGLICAN CHURCH. It's all there in the article - "episcopal cathedral." It is NOT a mosque, a sinagogue, a temple. It is NOT a place of worship for many faiths. It is a Christian, and Anglican, church. All that's happened is that the PC Brigade have opened its doors to all and sundry and held those silly PC "interfaith" services.

Good on them for allowing Muslim prayer; it's all the same God anyway so who cares who leads the prayer service?
I'll ask again: Why's it only Christian churches that are forced to hold "interfaith" services and never the places of worhip of anyone else? To be honest, I can't envisage a mosque being forced to hold an "interfaith service." Mosques are forever Muslim-only places, yet Christian places of worship are increasingly being forced to hold "interfaith" services in order to be shown to be PC.

Let a Christian church just be a Christian church for CHRISTIAN worship, please.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Episcopalian churches aren't exactly busting at the seams these days.

It's an episcopalian church. It's not meant for "interfaith" service. Leave it for episcopalian worship.

What is it about the Left that they are so opposed to Christian worship? They tell us we should build more mosques, but then force Christian churches to be "interfaith" rather than just Christian.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You really need to take Rabbi Karen's Yoga classes.

The Left? They are all Catholics remember?

An episcopalian church is an episcopalian church. Let's just leave it as an episcopalian church, please. Just leave it alone. It's not an "interfaith" church. It's an episcopalian, Anglican, church.

The Christianophobic Left constantly tells Christians to "learn" and show "respect" to other religions, and now even force them to open their places of worship to Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, Hindus, Jainists, Zoroastrians, Rastafarians, druids and every other religion under the Sun, yet they never expect any of the same from any other religion. They never expect Muslims to "learn" about, and show "respect" to, Christianity, and they never demand that a mosque holds an "interfaith" worship. Not on your nelly. A mosque, of course, is allowed to be exclusively Muslim. As per usual, these demands are only ever asked of Christians, nobody else.

The Left - as is being shown right now, right here, so it's not something I'm imagining - seem rather uncomfortable with Christianity and Christian worship. I never have been able to figure it out.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that Christianity teaches the values that the Left hates - things like fidelity in marriage (and that's marriage between a man and woman); censorship of sexual content on television; anti-abortion; a love of God.

Christianity teaches the values which make our societies great places to live, and that's maybe the reason why the Left hates Christianity so much.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I'm with Blackleaf on this one.

Allowing Muslim prayers in what is supposed to be a Christian church is an absolute disgrace, so incredibly stupid that it beggars the imagination.....