China to Construct a “Compatible” Christianity

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
“Over the past decades, the Protestant churches in China have developed very quickly with the implementation of the country’s religious policy. In the future, we will continue to boost the development of Christianity in China,” said Wang Zuoan, director of the State Administration for Religious Affairs.

[...] “The construction of Chinese Christian theology should adapt to China’s national condition and integrate with Chinese culture,” Wang said at a seminar on the Sinicization of Christianity in Shanghai, part of an event to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of the National Committee of the Three-Self Patriotic Movement of the Protestant Churches in China.

[...] A five-year campaign to promote Christian theology in China, launched in 2013, will provide theological guidance for church rostrums in China and will promote the positive and correct theological thinking with a range of publications, exchanges, discussions and evangelism.

The theological exchange campaign encourages more pastors, priests, believers and church volunteers to extract morals that are in line with the trend of the times from the Bible and other religious doctrines, said Gu Mengfei, deputy secretary-general of the National Committee of the Three-Self Patriotic Movement of the Protestant Churches in China.

In a report for the World Post, Matt Sheehan notes that Christianity’s rise in China is happening alongside resurgences in Buddhism and Mao-worship. In the report, many subjects describe this revivalism as a response to a moral and spiritual vacuum opened up by 30 years of rapid economic growth:

more

China to Construct a "Compatible" Christianity - China Digital Times (CDT)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
How come people invent such horrible gods? If I were so inclined as to invent a character to watch over me and look after me and such I'd make sure it was fun. That it liked me doing all the things that I do naturally.

Why do humans love to be tormented so?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Once there is a central doctrine promoted by the state in a dictatorship problems begin,
Everyone of these situations past and present end badly. The Middle East is an example
Uganda is another of present problems. The Church decides the moral conduct of the
individual that is as bad as a fascist or communist state. Dictatorship re-inventing itself
to maintain power Even ancient Rome did that in the end it didn't save them but it worked
for a while.
The Middle Ages saw the tyranny of the church and that is beginning in Russia now.
We have had interference in our society but the church has not taken absolute power.
The world is beginning to divide itself like the tower of Babel and it is most disturbing as a
religious war is more devastating than an economic conflict

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
How come people invent such horrible gods? If I were so inclined as to invent a character to watch over me and look after me and such I'd make sure it was fun. That it liked me doing all the things that I do naturally.

Because religion has a purpose to brainwash and help make it easier to control the mass.

Some natural behavior make it hard to control massive amounts of population.

Brainwashing a population to be more passive can help keep everything under control.

Behavior becomes more predictable, and so easily controlled.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I did read it. My intent was if they failed to convert everyone to Maoism what makes them believe they will succeed in converting Christians (never mind anyone else) to some revised Maoist corruption of the Christian Faith

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I did read it. My intent was if they failed to convert everyone to Maoism what makes them believe they will succeed in converting Christians (never mind anyone else) to some revised Maoist corruption of the Christian Faith

Christianity has a better following. Maybe they feel they'll follow that since so many others have?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

Twilla ... would you like to be my god then? :)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

You didn't read it carefully enough.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Maybe. But how will they get Christians to follow their version of the Gospel? Good luck with that.

well they could talk to the mormans or the JW's or the christian scientists or the...well there are an abundance of examples break away christian groups that can tell them how to convince the masses of desperate people who want to be told that death is not the end and will listen to the most ridiculous ways to get on god's good side to avoid it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Ten or twenty years from now and China will be the world's largest Christian nation. Its Christian population is expected to grow to over 400 million by that time. Throughout the 20th century Christians were persecuted in left-wing ruled China just as they are persecuted throughout the world (Christianity is the most persecuted religion on the planet) and their numbers dwindled, so it's now good to see Christianity enjoying a resurgence in China (where polls claim most people are spiritual and have religious beliefs although many Chinese daren't admit it in public) where we will soon get to the point when China will have more Christians than the total number of people living in almost all the world's countries.