Artificial Ghosts Produced in Lab

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Ghostly apparitions have been produced by scientists in a mind experiment which proved so disconcerting for participants that two begged for it to stop.

The research in Switzerland has suggested that ghosts are created by the mind when it momentarily loses track of the body’s location because of illness, exertion or stress.

Patients who suffer from neurological or psychiatric conditions often report “strange presences”, while those experiencing extreme physical or emotional pain often claim to have seen spirits or felt that deceased loved ones were in the room.

In the study, researchers confused the movements and brain signals of 12 healthy volunteers using a robotic system. They saw up to four phantoms and believed ghosts were touching their backs with invisible fingers.........................

Scientists produce ‘ghosts’ in the minds of test subjects and subjects were totally afraid of those ghosts | National Post

Americans who believe in ghosts have dropped from 51-42% while those who believe in god (while we're talking make believe) have dropped from 82-74% over the past decade or so. 1/3 of the Irish still believe in leprechauns and a full half of Icelanders believe in elves. Don't even get me started on Africans.

I like to think Canadians are a little more sophisticated. Is there anyone here who believes in ghosts?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Saw one in an abandoned house with another friend who also saw it around the age of 12..... long story. The other 6 friends were in the basement and we were in the attic.

Maybe when I have more time I will explain that situation in more detail.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Is there anyone here who believes in ghosts?

Yep. I do. Most definitely. I live in a country that is awash with ghosts. It's said to be the most haunted country in the world. Every city, town, village and even quaint little hamlet has at least one haunted pub, theatre or castle. I've even seen ghosts and so have most of my family. My sister, when she was about eight years' old, saw a beautiful lady dressed in a pink floral Victorian-style dress and hat enter her mum's bedroom one morning when she was lying in her mum's bed next to her mum. The kindly looking lady walked to the side of the bed, smiled at my sister, and then vanished. My mum didn't see the ghost. She was just lying down with her eyes closed listening to my sister talking when she suddenly heard my sister stop talking for a few moments mid-sentence. During that period of silence my mum smelt an unfamiliar smell of perfume. The smell then suddenly disappeared and then she heard my sister say: "Mum. Who was that lady?"

55% of Britons believe in ghosts.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Ghostly apparitions have been produced by scientists in a mind experiment which proved so disconcerting for participants that two begged for it to stop.

The research in Switzerland has suggested that ghosts are created by the mind when it momentarily loses track of the body’s location because of illness, exertion or stress.

Patients who suffer from neurological or psychiatric conditions often report “strange presences”, while those experiencing extreme physical or emotional pain often claim to have seen spirits or felt that deceased loved ones were in the room.

In the study, researchers confused the movements and brain signals of 12 healthy volunteers using a robotic system. They saw up to four phantoms and believed ghosts were touching their backs with invisible fingers.........................

Scientists produce ‘ghosts’ in the minds of test subjects and subjects were totally afraid of those ghosts | National Post

Americans who believe in ghosts have dropped from 51-42% while those who believe in god (while we're talking make believe) have dropped from 82-74% over the past decade or so. 1/3 of the Irish still believe in leprechauns and a full half of Icelanders believe in elves. Don't even get me started on Africans.

I like to think Canadians are a little more sophisticated. Is there anyone here who believes in ghosts?

no, I don't believe in souls left behind

I believe there can be pockets of trapped energy which can produce phenomenon which we do not scientifically understand (yet)

this type of energy can be felt or sensed or seen

perhaps as in the above study this energy affects our brain producing various perceptions

it's a fascinating study

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Nope, I don't.

the idea that someone has died (and then be not so dead) and float around watching people poop, have sex, pick their nose. Seriously? It's a ridiculous concept, ghosts.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
no, I don't believe in souls left behind

I believe there can be pockets of trapped energy which can produce phenomenon which we do not scientifically understand (yet)

this type of energy can be felt or sensed or seen

perhaps as in the above study this energy affects our brain producing various perceptions

it's a fascinating study

Some ghosts are the souls of dead people, and others are just energy - like a tape recording of somebody.

Some ghosts are intelligences and can communicate with people through knockings and bangings etc. They deliberately react to an investigator's questions by, for example, giving two knocks for "yes" and one for "no." These types of spooks, the ones which are an intelligence and are aware of their surroundings and can deliberately communicate with people, are spirits of the deceased that have not passed on to the afterlife and are trapped here on Earth.

Some spooks, however, are just "tape recordings" of a person who is probably now dead. At certain moments in someone's life, they may feel such emotion - usually bad ones like depression, heartache, terror, etc - that some of the activities they performed at that moment are somehow recorded in the atmosphere. This is known as the "stone tape theory" but mediums also call it "residual energy." The sounds made by the person can be heard and, less often, they can actually be seen, replaying something they did in life over and over again. These are the types of ghosts who are often seen walking through walls, or just their upper bodies appear, because they are recordings of somebody who was walking through a doorway that is no longer there or of somebody who walked on a floor that was lower at that time than it is now. There are some fields in Britain in which people often hear what sounds like a battle. They can't see anything but they hear men shouting and screaming, horses galloping and what sounds like swords clashing. These fields are often the sites of English Civil War battles. I watched a programme once about a haunted in, in Cornwall I think, in which guests staying the night are often awoken in the middle of the night by the sound of a horse drawing up outside, neighing, and what sounds like somebody dismounting the horse and walking across gravel towards the inn. But when they look outside, into the dark, there is no horse there and no sign og any person. Not only there, but its flagstones or tarmac outside, so there is no gravel. It turns out that during the 18th Century the inn was often visited by weary travellers, who would "park" their horses outside and enter the inn to get a drink and inquiry about a room. At the time, the ground outside was gravelly.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nope, I don't.

the idea that someone has died (and then be not so dead) and float around watching people poop, have sex, pick their nose. Seriously? It's a ridiculous concept, ghosts.

They do not know they are dead. They only see what they want to see.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ghosts are tricks of the mind. Virgin Mary in a grilled cheese? It's the same principle. It's not real. Your mind just seeks out human-like patterns. It rearranges confusing information into familiar forms to make sense of it. The effect being its own deception. Many characteristics of hauntings are similar to carbon monoxide poisoning. You mind is essentially drugged, hence confused, and so imagining sentient origins of incomplete stimuli. If ever think your house is haunted open a window.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Ghosts are tricks of the mind. Virgin Mary in a grilled cheese? It's the same principle. It's not real. Your mind just seeks out human-like patterns. It rearranges confusing information into familiar forms to make sense of it. The effect being its own deception. Many characteristics of hauntings are similar to carbon monoxide poisoning. You mind is essentially drugged, hence confused, and so imagining sentient origins of incomplete stimuli. If ever think your house is haunted open a window.

That sounds a lot like what someone who's seen a ghost might tell themselves.