Mental Images of God

kowalskil

Nominee Member
Jan 19, 2011
New Jersey, USA
What is God? According to our ancestors, who recorded their beliefs in the Bible, God is an all-powerful and all-knowing entity, living somewhere outside of our world, who created the world and controls what happens in it. My definition of God is slightly different; I tend to think that God is not an entity outside nature, but nature itself, as postulated by a 17th century Jewish theologian, Baruch Spinoza, in Holland.

Our very distant ancestors were polytheists; they invented the idea of multiple gods. Our less distant ancestors replaced this idea with the mental image of a personal--omnipotent and omniscient--ruler. Most people on earth still believe in a personal God, but some try to develop a more recent mental image of the ruler, formulated by Spinoza. All three descriptions refer to the same everlasting entity, no matter how it is called. It is not a sin to think that laws of Nature are equivalent to God's laws, while praying. Do you agree?

An interesting article about Spinoza appeared in The New York Times, written by a professor of philosophy, Steven Nadler:
http://opinionator blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/judging-spinoza/
It generated many interesting online comments. A reader, RMC, wrote: "I know many Christians and Jews who practice their religious traditions although their own beliefs are secular. They make no secret of their sentiments. Spinoza was excommunicated during a time of religious orthodoxy and in that respect his experience is much like Galileo's. When the Catholic Church repudiated its treatment of Galileo, it was not merely saying that the earth revolves around the sun. It was saying that punishing the members of its congregation for thinking for themselves, including about church dogma, was parochial and destructive." With regard to independent thinking, several readers emphasized that traditional religious ceremonies, and respect for legends, do help to keep social groups together, even when people know that biblical legends do not represent historical truth.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
What is God? According to our ancestors, who recorded their beliefs in the Bible, Jewish theologian, Baruch Spinoza, in Holland.

: "I know many Christians and Jews who practice their religious traditions
Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

Your ancestors were around long before the Bible and had some funky practises as well............

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
To come up with the 'proper definition' since God got it wrong. If 'God' was showing us powers of 10 on page one of the Bible and He is predicting the end of the earth by being melted is due to happen 3.6B years from now then if you aren't in the same sandbox you are someplace other than where God is. Hiding from the one you are looking for is a game you will get tired of before God will.

From my position I don't think it would be possible to have any image at all.
It's a pretty big book, if you have no opinion after looking at it then you might be part of the problem rather than it being 110% of the books fault. Your ego would be the biggest stumbling block.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
To come up with the 'proper definition' since God got it wrong. If 'God' was showing us powers of 10 on page one of the Bible and He is predicting the end of the earth by being melted is due to happen 3.6B years from now then if you aren't in the same sandbox you are someplace other than where God is. Hiding from the one you are looking for is a game you will get tired of before God will.

It's a pretty big book, if you have no opinion after looking at it then you might be part of the problem rather than it being 110% of the books fault. Your ego would be the biggest stumbling block.
Yes I've read the book.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I was asking if you understood who God is in it? A more pointed way would be to ask if you believe the first 3 chapters of Genesis and last and Revelation give a graphically clear picture of who God is supposed to be in terms of the physical earth and heavens?

It's like trying to paint a picture of gravity.
I'm not going to fall for that.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
He's between you and the boogyman

Yes I've read the book.
In the beginning . . . God created the heavens (our estimate is 13BYA for the big bank) If we use that date frim the exit from the Garden and the year Jesus was born that is about 4,000 years (4,005 but then 30AD becomes the pivot point as the cross was the bruise to the heel in the Ge:3:15 prophecy. If day 7 ended in 4,000BC then the only way to take 6 steps back and arrive at 4BYA as being the day the earth experienced light as that is what was created and named back then, Moving back from the end of day 7 you would put one zero in the 1,000 column and the other digits wold one one spot to the left, 4,000 becomes 40,000 and that becomes 400,000 until 6 steps later you are at 4BYA. That would also mean the gathering of the material that resulted in the big bang and the creation of the universe @15BYA would mean the beginning of day one and the plan to create a heaven and earth has been ongoing for that long.

The end is just as good as it says this heaven and earth will be gone when the ones alive travel to a 3rd heaven to attend the GWT event and then come back to the earth. The changes will be that mankind gets to to travel to the far end of the universe as that is what the new earth is defined as being the perfected new earth, angels enter their new heaven when they enter the place where the GWT is held.