Pope shines up his ginormous brass balls, excommunicates the whole damn Mob

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
(CNN) -- Using his strongest language to date, Pope Francis told Italian Mafia members on Saturday that they are excommunicated from the Catholic Church.

"Those who in their life have gone along the evil ways, as in the case of the mafia, they are not with God, they are excommunicated," Francis said in an outdoor Mass in Piana di Sibari, Calabria.

It is the first time a Pope has spoken of excommunication for the Mafia. Excommunication, which excludes Catholics from the church, can be imposed by church authorities or incurred automatically for certain grave offenses.

The Pope's remarks will resonate strongly in this part of southern Italy, where the Mafia are known to attempt to portray themselves as upstanding religious men in good rapport with the Catholic Church, in order to maintain local credibility.

During a one-day visit to Calabria, the Pope denounced the local mafia, called 'Ndrangheta, as an example of "the adoration of evil and contempt for the common good."

According to reports, 'Ndrangheta is one of the wealthiest international crime organizations, with an annual turnover of 53 billion euros ($72 billion), much of it from the global cocaine trade.

Calabria also suffers from 56% youth unemployment, which the Mafia exploits with promises of jobs for disillusioned young people.

"They must be told, No!" the Pope said to a crowd of over 100,000 gathered for the outdoor Mass.

Prosecutor: Pope faces threat from the mafia

Earlier during his visit, Pope Francis met with relatives of a 3-year-old boy, Nicola Campolongo, who was the victim of an alleged Mafia hit in January. Nicknamed Coco, the boy was with his grandfather when they were both shot and their bodies subsequently burned in a car.

It is not the first time the Pope has spoken out against the Mafia. In March in Rome at a meeting with families of victims, the Pope called directly on Mafia bosses to repent, saying "hell ... awaits you if you continue on this road."

Some anti-mafia prosecutors have worried that the Mafia may target Pope Francis, who is also reforming the Vatican, including its scandal-scarred bank, the Institute for Religious Works.

"The strong will of Pope Francis, aiming to disrupt the gangrene power centers, puts him at risk. He disturbs the Mafia very much," Nicola Gratteri, a prosecutor in Calabria, told CNN in November.

Pope excommunicates Italian Mafia members - CNN.com

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
He did nothing of the sort; he made a speech. If bishops and priests take him at his word and neither bury nor marry those mobsters, then it would mean more than words.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
As I understand it from my fairly casual reading, excommunication has to be performed on an individual or group, after deliberation by a church court of some description (very little resemblance to real courts, but still a deliberative body), based on that individual's or group's own conduct.

So yeah, I agree with Spade. This was a rhetorical flourish, not a formal declaration of excommunication.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
He did nothing of the sort; he made a speech. If bishops and priests take him at his word and neither bury nor marry those mobsters, then it would mean more than words.

As I understand it from my fairly casual reading, excommunication has to be performed on an individual or group, after deliberation by a church court of some description (very little resemblance to real courts, but still a deliberative body), based on that individual's or group's own conduct.

So yeah, I agree with Spade. This was a rhetorical flourish, not a formal declaration of excommunication.

I'll just point this out

"Those who in their life have gone along the evil ways, as in the case of the mafia, they are not with God, they are excommunicated," Francis said in an outdoor Mass in Piana di Sibari, Calabria.

It is the first time a Pope has spoken of excommunication for the Mafia. Excommunication, which excludes Catholics from the church, can be imposed by church authorities or incurred automatically for certain grave offenses.

For those of you that are NOT Catholic, take note of what I highlighted. His Holiness the Pope IS the ultimate church authority on earth.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think this will create huge problems for the Mafia. I see it as a beginning to the end for them using the church to appear mainstream which their strong ties have always assisted with.

It will take time but it is a bold statement that will begin a movement that will impact their whole country.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You might be right. If you are, I'm OK with that. But pardon me for not accepting you as an expert on canon law without some evidence beyond you being Caflick.

He's the Pope!!!! To a Catholic, the only one with more authority is the Holy Trinity.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
He's the Pope!!!! To a Catholic, the only one with more authority is the Holy Trinity.
You might be right. I'm just a little reserved on the subject. I stopped taking the word of any random Caflick on Catholic law when I found out that Papal infallibility does not mean everything the Pope says or does is automatically and eternally right. Rather, Papal infallibility is a doctrine that must be invoked by the Pope in order to be in effect, and is only in effect with regard to a proclamation for which the Pope has invoked infallibility.

Turns out that your average Caflick on the street may or may not know as much or little about Caflick law as your average citizen on the street may or may not know about the law of her country.

Not surprising when you think about it for more'n three seconds.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You might be right. I'm just a little reserved on the subject. I stopped taking the word of any random Caflick on Catholic law when I found out that Papal infallibility does not mean everything the Pope says or does is automatically and eternally right. Rather, Papal infallibility is a doctrine that must be invoked by the Pope in order to be in effect, and is only in effect with regard to a proclamation for which the Pope has invoked infallibility.

Turns out that your average Caflick on the street may or may not know as much or little about Caflick law as your average citizen on the street may or may not know about the law of her country.

Not surprising when you think about it for more'n three seconds.

Caflick eh, I see things will be quite interesting.

and for those with multiple firing brain cells, I will reiterate.

To a Catholic, the only one with more authority is the Holy Trinity.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Caflick eh, I see things will be quite interesting.
No, they really won't. You'll use up the interest I have in your particular delusion pretty quick.

It's only because the church has such a long and well-developed philosophical and legal tradition that I give it any more attention than the nutbar cult down the road.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Very few besides the pope give a sh*t. Mafia could care less according to my buddy Gusieppe.

Throw a priest a few bucks or an altar boy and he'll marry and bury with great gusto.

More money and he'll bless the don's new cadillac.

Popey would do better to drag the RC church into the 21st century.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How much of an impact will this really have on the mafia over there? I know the Catholic faith is deeply entrenched in the culture in Italy but do they play at being mainstream in the same way that we're used to seeing?

I may be mistaken but generally I'd always thought the mafia in Sicily was more akin to the Central American drug cartels in their ruthlessness and excessive, excessive violence than what we generally see in the mafia 'families' over here. They openly go after judges and prosecutors. Not to diminish their criminal activities over here, but I'd just always been under the impression that alluding to be 'mainstream' was something more important to the North American mobsters. They'd always had more of a tendency to be surreptitious.