Memories of pets loved and lost...a place to share.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
At the request of a friend and family member, I'm starting this thread.

Close to a decade ago for me an a lifetime again for an old friend, I was
given the pick of the litter from a Rotti. One thing lead to another and I
came home with my Shadow.

We had to put our ol'Shadow down on Friday. He had a good long life.
He was a good, loyal friend and will be missed by the many whose
lives he touched. A gentle soul who loved babies and kittens & puppies.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm sorry so to hear that. I know it's hard to give them up and I know you did so with his needs and comfort in mind. I look at all those wonderful pictures and his personality comes shining through in them. You really can see his gentle soul.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My deepest condolences Ron.

It's tough to lose a family member for that's what they become. As well as the very heart of the home.

Although I've had pets throughout my whole life, they seem to be blessed with longevity (thank god) thus the list is short. From my childhood one cat named Algy, a gorgeous Siamese who was king and one dog named Rex who my brother stole from a farmer who abused him. (Way too big for our house my mum told us) He fit in well and was a kid's dream. We grew up together. The lessons of love and faith and healing and companionship that he taught me are too numerous to mention.

Then I grew up and took home an alley cat named Toughie, who was living in an alley behind a store I worked in. I took her home until I could find a good home for her. What I didn't know at the time was; she was home.

When she died I took in two sisters who were 7 named Ashley and Nicki. After they both went, I found Destiny at the human society and I've had her for two years this summer. Although I "technically" saved the lives of all...in reality, they have enriched mine in ways too numerable to count.

Animals are the heart of the home. I feel sorry for those who have never experienced such unconditional love.

He looks regal Ron. May you find him again when you too cross to home.

This is my current:

Here is a poem from Jimmy Stewart. It is wonderful and as it expresses it all for us animal lovers.

Jimmy Stewart Reads a Touching Poem About His Dog Beau on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show - YouTube

cheers ♥

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Sorry for your loss Ron

I lost my cat a year ago and I took it hard just because she died so suddenly.

She was independent and did what she wanted when she wanted and as the years went by we drew closer.

I don’t know if I will ever get another cat just because I just can’t handle the loss of a pet anymore.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Hard to do. I'm the one that gets to do it by myself as the ladies in my life couldn't
I did it 14 years ago and it's looking like I'll be doing again this year.
Definitely my last though.
Hope your holding up.
Last time I came home one day after about a week and called the dog, admonishing him for not guarding the house...

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Hard to do. I'm the one that gets to do it by myself as the ladies in my life couldn't
I did it 14 years ago and it's looking like I'll be doing again this year.
Definitely my last though.
Hope your holding up.
Last time I came home one day after about a week and called the dog, admonishing him for not guarding the house...
it's the opposite here although with the last one, it was more his cat than mine so he came in...they make it so much easier than it used to be...the second last one went out with me holding her and eating treats...I always regret that I didn't hold a couple of mine... it does make it easier down the road.

it's a hard thing to have to do but it's also a privilege.

canuck50

Nov 11, 2011
Beside Ron in Regina
I have had the pleasure to live next door to Shadow for the last 5 years. When I moved in he would get all wound up and bark and I would ask him what all that noise was about and he would come to the fence for me to pet him. He had a bad habit of scaring my room mate as he would lunge at the chain link fence between the yards and she thought it was about to come over. Shadow was a fun friend. You all have no idea how sweet he was. He would sit by the fence when I bbq'd because he knew him and Otis and Rosco were getting AWESOME TREATS. The first time Ron invited me into his house, Shadow came up to me, gently bit my arm and took me to where the treats were. I guess that was his way of saying You're OK. Shadow had some very unique traits. He loved watching Discovery channel when whale shows were on and he would mimic them and sing back to them. Very sweet. He also knew who he loved. My room mate was bitten by a dog shortly after we moved in next to Shadow and Ron and he sensed her fear/apprehension. But he made sure she loved him. He did everything he could to show her that HE was HER friend and was not going to hurt her. He had a great way of messing with you too. He loved BBQ's One of the best times was when he stole my room mate's steak sample as it was being handed to her. He watched as each person got a piece and just as Joanne was getting hers Shadow stole it and inhaled it. There had to be 8 people on the deck that just roared in laughter. You could see his very smart mind working knowing who wouldn't give him heck. It was priceless. Shadow is such an awesome boy. Very happy, He loved the 40 tennis balls I gave him. He knew when I went shopping there were always treats or toys when I came home. I will forever miss my big buddy. Shadow you gave me and everyone you touched many smiles and good times. You will be missed. You can go play with Duke now. Gone but never Forgotten.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Sorry Ron. It's so hard to say goodbye to a best friend, and one who is family.

I had to put my dog down ten years ago and I still think of her. In fact I was reminiscing just earlier today. Putting her down was the hardest thing I've ever done.

lindyloo646

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2008
Saskatchewan
Oh how we love our furry, four footed family members! We know full well, when we bring those balls of fluff through the door, that they will one day break our hearts. I was blessed to have Shadow in my life, and as equally blessed to be there for his last breath.

I sent Ron to a friends house, on the pretense that Ron needed to help her set up a wall unit. Ron had recently got his own house...and damn it was time he should have to pick up dog poop too, (I was sick of being the only one suffering through that). There was no wall unit to set up, but there were 12 little bundles of fur and one of them needed to go home with Ron. Ron spent time on the floor, playing with all the pups and that is when Shadow made his move....he knew this was his guy. Thus Shadow came to be our "gentle giant". Larger than any dog I have ever met, all 160 pounds of him was pure sunshine.

Ron, I know your heart is aching and I also know that Shadow will always be with you. Those of us who are fortunate enough to have animals or who have had them in the past can relate to your pain. Know that you did the right thing , at the right time.

I have many fond memories of pets that I knew and loved. The memories of unconditional love, the knowing eyes of those gentle souls will follow me wherever I go; even long after they have crossed over. Most of my dogs have been mutts, of no certain ancestry; but that did not make them any less valuable.

I believe that people and animals come in to our lives when we need them the most. Know that Shadow was meant to be yours and in turn you were meant to be his. Shadow chose you as much as you chose him, it was fate and meant to be. Shadow was as gentle as you are, as loving as you are and had a heart as big as you do. You have left a lasting impression on everyone you have met, and Shadow did the same.

Goodbye dear little Shadow, god speed my friend. Until we meet again....

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
many pets have come and gone in my family, very very sad, but i have to say, it is harder to live
through pets disappearing than putting one down.

there is never closure, but that taught me to care for them much better, be more protective, and
make sure they can't disappear. it is our responsibility.

we had to put our old choc lab down two years ago, we cried like babies, had him cremated, now have
a great picture of him on our wall where we can say hi to him, as it is right in the hall where we
go to and fro all the time.

my feelings are this: we have given dogs and cats great lives, and they to us as well, so i never
forget, but i soon move forward with a new pet, 'out of respect' for the last one. our lives were
enhanced by our pets, so i cherish the new ones who come along, and in no time they also become so
close to us, and again both of our lives, humans and animal have a great relationship which makes
all of us very happy.

the memories are sweet and sad. take care, and enjoy them. so many animals die young without loving
homes, yours didn't, ours didn't, that is important.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have four former family critters buried out at White Butte along with 3 pets of friends. We had 1 cat for nineteen years that passed in Feb of 2012 . I couldn't bring myself to take him to the city incinerator to be burned with medical waste and pets the so-called Humane Society and vets put down so I put him in the freezer until the ground thawed.

If you ever end up in the same situation, the pet cemetery is due north of the warm up shack.

Last edited:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Ron, I hope you don't mind that I made this thread a sticky. That way anyone that wants to contribute to it can find it a lot easier.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Sorry to hear Ron.

I lost my cat of 14 yrs almost exactly a year ago. It was kind of strange; we watched a documentary on lions, and how an old lioness, nearing the end, rebuilt social bridges with other females in the pride to look after her cub afer she was gone (Pixie and my wife had a difficult relationship at times as the cat was around 9 years before my wife :p). After a couple weeks of her looking like she was starting to feel her age, and loving on everyone, my independent old lady sprung out the door, past my wife, stopped and looked at her at the top of the drive, as if to say good bye and we never saw her again. It still kind of gets me when when 4 yr old son says stuff like Pixie is still looking after him or draws her in his 4 yr old version of family pictures, because while she wouldn't let him touch her without my help but she always hovered over him like she was a parent to him too.

We do have other pets, including a kitten and a puppy my wife picked out of shelters/rescues in the last year since Pix left but I still miss her. She was the first pet I had on my own; the one I was able to get when I bought my first house and was able to live by my rules instead of land-lords' rules, and we spent 9 yrs with just us, so I imagine she'll always have the ability to get me choked up a bit.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Fly Fido to the moon in space send off for deceased pets
Amanda Orr, Reuters
First posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 01:03 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, July 31, 2014 01:18 PM EDT
HOUSTON - A Texas company is offering a unique send off for beloved pets by placing a portion of their cremated remains in a capsule and blasting them off into space.
Celestis Inc, which has provided memorial space flights for human remains since 1997, will launch its first commercial pet memorial spaceflight in October 2014 with the remains of a blue merle Australian shepherd, named Apollo, the company said.
The pet services, such as one dubbed Earth Rise, start at $995 and include having the pet's remains into flown into space on a commercial flight and returned to the owner.
The space send-off options go up to $12,500, which allows the pet's remains to be launched into deep space or to visit the moon.
Memorial service are available before blast off and families can witness most of the launches, depending on location, the company said.
"Our pet service flights are an idea that's been a long time coming," Celestis Chief Executive Charles Chafer said.
Apollo the Dog. (celestispets.com)

Fly Fido to the moon in space send off for deceased pets | Weird | News | Toront

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
So, so sorry to hear this Ron. It is never, ever easy to let go. I still mourn for my two cats and my beloved dog Arizona, and others I have known.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
this is a recent experience which caused us much worry and stress. our reg. maine coon cat suddently
disappeared, was gone for 5 days, until 6 oclock this morning when she appeared at the door, looking
very happy and healthy.

we worried and fretted hunted, put up posters, advertised all over, went to neighbours.

lots of green
and bushy Area here, very quiet, but i'm beginning to think someone had her in their home, as she
definitely didn't look like she had spent the last 5 days living in the bush, no injuries, had not
been attacked by any animal.

i'm going to quietly follow her next time she goes out, just in cAse she goes back to where she was,
as maybe she was lavished with toys and lots of food, and might go back there.

don't know if that was the case, but we are elated and so happy she is back, she is one of our five cats,
all who stay close to home, and have a very good life with us and our two labradors.

a nice ending. i have had a few sad endings to cats disappeAring in the past, remember all of them,
so this is nice.