Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
How would you respond to the statement "You gotta lose to know how to win."

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Re: How would you answer this question if it was asked of you. You got to lose to kno

How would you answer this question if it was asked of you.
You got to lose to know how to win
Above line from Aerosmith- Dream on

It's not a question, it's a statement.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Re: How would you answer this question if it was asked of you. You got to lose to kno

It's not a question, it's a statement.

Thank you for pointing that out. My grammar is poor.
I have amended the OP.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Thank you for pointing that out. My grammar is poor.
I have amended the OP.

It's not a question. Or are you trying to say:

My initial response is that it is an untrue statement. One is not required to lose to then know how to win.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Re: How would you answer this statemen if it was asked of you. You got to lose to kno

Fixed.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

My initial response is that it is an untrue statement. One is not required to lose to then know how to win.
Someone ring a bell...we agree again.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Re: How would you answer this statemen if it was asked of you. You got to lose to kno

How would you answer this statement if it was asked of you.
You got to lose to know how to win
Above line from Aerosmith- Dream on

Hey... Everyone's doing it....

In context of the entire stanz?... Don't wanna get involved....

In your line?...

When you've touched bottom, every rung up's its reward....

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Does losing teach you how to win is how I look at it.
No losing does not teach anyone how to win. It might teach them how to lose well though or help them define what losing actually means. Losing is relative to perspective.

Depending upon how one views it....like for me...I never lose.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Does losing teach you how to win is how I look at it.

Like Sal said....... Losing is all about perspective. One needs to look at a "loss" not as "losing" but as a learning experience. Something to build on. That being said, one doesn't HAVE to lose to "know how to win". It all depends on what and how one is taught.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Like Sal said....... Losing is all about perspective. One needs to look at a "loss" not as "losing" but as a learning experience. Something to build on. That being said, one doesn't HAVE to lose to "know how to win". It all depends on what and how one is taught.

I agree that it should be a learning experience, part of life lessons.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Re: How would you respond to the statement "You gotta lose to know how to win."

I fixed the title for ya Goober.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California

Does anyone remember the old ABC network's sports reference to the "thrill of victory and the agony of defeat?" Accurate perception of victory or defeat is based on insight acquired through the experience of both winning and losing.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

I think the statement means if you never lose then you don't try often enough, and if you try often enough you'll never be really good at something. To win, as in be better than everyone else at something, you have to experience losing, or being lousy, at some point.

Michael Jordan coined a similar phrase. He attributed his success to all of his failures.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia

What if you changed it to succeed and fail, it's the same, succeed is winning and fail is losing but it has a more dramatic affect on different people.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I think the statement means if you never lose then you don't try often enough, and if you try often enough you'll never be really good at something. To win, as in be better than everyone else at something, you have to experience losing, or being lousy, at some point.

Michael Jordan coined a similar phrase. He attributed his success to all of his failures.

Read this a tad ago.
I lost the top job, and I'm better for it - The Globe and Mail

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Does this hold true for someone like Charlie Sheen, who for all the talk of "winning" and being "a winner", clearly isn't?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

yes, kreskin said it right, and it is often said by coaches and experienced athletes who have been
through many years of competition and became winners.

the road to victory contains many losses, and with each loss one learns how to be better the
next time around.

it is often said that one learns more about themselves by losing than they do when they win.

i've often said that i didn't like it when the canucks stayed on top too long, or won too much
throughout a season, as they lose the ability to battle. they have to lose now and then along
the way to regain the fire And grit it takes to win again, and they proved how winning too much
takes away the fire, when they went into the playoffs against los angelos a few years ago , but
los angelos had fought their way into 8th place by battling and grinding for a long time, coming
from way down in the pack, that taught them how to win and keep winning, after struggling with losses,
early on,till finally in the finals they walked home with the stanley cup.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Fairly accurate statement. I know lots of winners at small things who are real a$$holes in the "big game". I bowl with a couple of them every week.

I think you have to arrive at an accurate assessment at what it is you are "winning" at. I saw some real winners on the news to night at the Special Olympics, aside from medals they have the heart just to be there! They know how to make do with the loss of something that would devastate most of us. They are heroes in my book!