"It is medieval madness" The law dates back to the time of Henry VIII

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
When Elaine Hession opened the letter she almost passed out, and her partner Jonathan Hill turned “as white as a ghost”.

Last month the couple received a notice from the Land Registry informing them their local church had registered its right to make them contribute to the cost of repairs.

Under chancel repair liability, homeowners living within the parishes of churches built before 1536 can be held liable for costs.

That, amazingly, happens frequently in England and Wales.

The Church of England fought an 18-year legal battle against the owners of a farm in Warwickshire, eventually extracting £230,000 from Gail and Andrew Wallbank in 2009. The Church’s case rested entirely on a 16th-century feudal law, long considered dead, which held that certain landowners, no matter their religious beliefs, must help pay for the upkeep of Anglican churches. After the matter was decided, at least a quarter of Anglican dioceses began looking for ways to screw private-property owners in the same manner.

Chancel repair liability enables approximately 5,200 pre-Reformation Church of England and Church of Wales parishes to demand money from owners of particular properties on former monastery land, to fund repairs to their church buildings.

more

Old Anglican Churches Hold Local Homeowners Liable For Church Repairs

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
So each home in that parish is having to fork out a mighty £7 to pay for the upkeep of a beautiful parish church. Yep, it's definitely the end of the world as we know it.

We need to keep England's beautiful parish churches in tip top condition. These are beautiful buildings and asking homeowners to pay for their upkeep, just as we ask them to pay for the upkeep of schools and roads, is the right course of action.

Churchgate, Bolton town centre, where the Earl of Derby was beheaded in 1651

Somebody should gag these cheapskate whingers and force them to pay their way. It is fairly common knowledge that homeowners are responsible for contributing towards the upkeep of the chancel - the area around the altar - of their parish church.

These people are just whinging over a tiny bit of money which millions of homeowners pay all the time with no fuss.

This is a non-story and an exaggerated scare story.

And I'd rather we fund our beautiful parish churhes than fund those ugly, intimidating mosques which are sprouted up like weeds all over the place.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
When Elaine Hession opened the letter she almost passed out, and her partner Jonathan Hill turned “as white as a ghost”.

Last month the couple received a notice from the Land Registry informing them their local church had registered its right to make them contribute to the cost of repairs.

Under chancel repair liability, homeowners living within the parishes of churches built before 1536 can be held liable for costs.

That, amazingly, happens frequently in England and Wales.

The Church of England fought an 18-year legal battle against the owners of a farm in Warwickshire, eventually extracting £230,000 from Gail and Andrew Wallbank in 2009. The Church’s case rested entirely on a 16th-century feudal law, long considered dead, which held that certain landowners, no matter their religious beliefs, must help pay for the upkeep of Anglican churches. After the matter was decided, at least a quarter of Anglican dioceses began looking for ways to screw private-property owners in the same manner.

Chancel repair liability enables approximately 5,200 pre-Reformation Church of England and Church of Wales parishes to demand money from owners of particular properties on former monastery land, to fund repairs to their church buildings.

more

Old Anglican Churches Hold Local Homeowners Liable For Church Repairs

Well the Church of England is the established church in England, and unlike Canada, they don't pretend to have a secular constitution. At least in England it's all above board.

If they don't like it, then they should propose to de-establish the Church of England and replace it with another.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Looks like a full disclosure law is needed. Don't sign on the line if you disagree. The article lacked information and I detect it may be a lot of hype.

Beyond that, I might build a church next to Cliffy and demand he pay for roof repairs.

Many of the churches are beautiful - ahhh. But... tis it aint the building that saves.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Looks like a full disclosure law is needed. Don't sign on the line if you disagree. The article lacked information and I detect it may be a lot of hype.
Why? It's been the law for almost half a millennium. The Official Church has the right to tax.

Ain't like it's all that unique. Same's generally been true in most Catholic countries and Islamic countries.

Beyond that, I might build a church next to Cliffy and demand he pay for roof repairs.
Wouldn't be surprising in the history of religion.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
T-Bones, That's my point, the landowners must have been aware of the tax.
Not only would I make Cliffy pay for the roof repairs on the church I build next to his property - I would require him to make the repairs. :)
BAH HAHAHAHA

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Not only would I make Cliffy pay for the roof repairs on the church I build next to his property - I would require him to make the repairs. :)
BAH HAHAHAHA
Which pretty much makes you a standard Christian. Unfortunately.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
BAH HAHAHAHA
You might find it burned to the ground the next morning.

As I like to say, man made churches, god made forests. Who ye gonna trust?

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Which pretty much makes you a standard Christian. Unfortunately.
T-Bones,
I dare say you are missing the entire context of my post. Methinks I shall just leave it be rather than offer further explanation. Seems a few of us are rather grumpy on this fine day.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
That one is incapable of not saying anything at all. Very little in the way of 'live and let live'. Pretty big chip of uppitiness on it's shoulder in my estimation.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
That one is incapable of not saying anything at all. Very little in the way of 'live and let live'. Pretty big chip of uppitiness on it's shoulder in my estimation.
Nah. T-Bones is Alright. Methinks she thinks I am in support of taxpayers paying for the repair of churches. I'm a yankee, so I'm all for keeping the religions and the state seperate. If I like an old church and want to keep it around I will freely donate funds for that purpose. Emphasis on FREELY donate. Don't tax me.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Nah. T-Bones is Alright. Methinks she thinks I am in support of taxpayers paying for the repair of churches. I'm a yankee, so I'm all for keeping the religions and the state seperate. If I like an old church and want to keep it around I will freely donate funds for that purpose. Emphasis on FREELY donate. Don't tax me.

and yet you said the exact opposite previously.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Some people are sarcastically challenged. We may have to revert to using purple lettering for them.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
and yet you said the exact opposite previously.
gerryh: I'll try to clarify and see where that gets us. It is the responsibility of potential landowners to know what they are getting themselves into. If they choose to purchase property that requires them to pay taxes for the upkeep of churches, then I really have no sympathy for them. If they do not like the law, then they can take actions to change the law.

Why does everyone want to fight today? Though I concede my messaging may be rather obscure on this day...maybe everyday.

Cliffy, I am challenged indeed!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy, I am challenged indeed!
Well, I have been neg repped several times today by a sarcastically challenged member because I didn't put my posts in purple. But, I go by the assumption, perhaps wrongly, that most of us are adults here and can tell the difference.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, I have been neg repped several times today by a sarcastically challenged member because I didn't put my posts in purple. But, I go by the assumption, perhaps wrongly, that most of us are adults here and can tell the difference.

Your assumption is correct. The operative word, however, is "most."