The difference between Spirituality and Religion

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
As I have said, the spiritual journey is a personal one where as religion requires numbers to sustain. This picture about sums up what the spiritual journey is all about:

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Religion quite often wants your money and must be performed within a big church or cathedral.

Spiritualism quite often is seen as a threat to religion because it can be performed anywhere has no denomination and can be performed for free ...........go figure

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
somebody said:

Religion is for those who are afraid to go to hell.
Spirituality is for those who have been there.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We are constantly fighting a battle of meaning with the word religion which roughly translated means personal philosophy of life. The only organization that meaning requires is of the mind, no pews no steeples no church was ever required and is still not required.

How did it get misapplied to common mass cults?

"Mrs. Van Hyning, I am surprised at your surprise. You are a student of history -- and you know that both the Borgias and the Mediciis are Jewish families of Italy. Surely you know that there have been Popes from both of these house. Perhaps it will surprise you to know that we have had 20 Jewish Popes, and when you have sufficient time, which may coincide with my free time, I can show you these names and dates. You will learn from these that : The crimes committed in the name of the Catholic Church were under Jewish Popes. The leaders of the inquisition was one : De Torquemada, a Jew." -- From an article in 'Woman's Voice', November 25, 1953.

somebody said:

Souls are afraid to go to hell. Souls incarnate on earth, hades amenta the underworld. Smile you're in hell now. There is no difference between spirituality and religion and there never can be. Any argument against the root meaning of a word is futile and childish. As we allow the powers that are to pervert the meaning of the languages, as they are inclined to do, we loose our histories and then our direction and then we become lost sheep, ready and willing nay begging to be fleeced.
They must not be allowed to set the meaning of that word in their terms.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I have come to the conclusion after years of curious searching..... do not dare fill in the blanks by that meaning!.... that we are human in this form, experience it to the max, stop trying to attain something else that you probably are already or not.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Whatever one's opinion, I don't think I have any right to judge, mock or 'correct' them. Live and let live.

Souls, spirits, God, mother nature...whatever. Everyone have at it I say. Whatever brings you resolution and calm.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I didn't think it was poorly expressed at all El Barto, I just thought it was a way to extend the discuss.
Ahh yes ... I see
I am of the thought that we are here to experience what we are in all it's beauty and tragedy. To play out our story.
It is not attaining perfection for that always seems a standard someone else give us.
This is all done under the shadow of uncertainty of what is beyond , if there is any.

We have a fear of uncertainty in all aspects of our lives. We hate it. Yet , it is where the adventure of it all lays.
The things we hold on to , what we accept as truths , are nothing but uncertainties.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Ahh yes ... I see
I am of the thought that we are here to experience what we are in all it's beauty and tragedy. To play out our story.
It is not attaining perfection for that always seems a standard someone else give us.
This is all done under the shadow of uncertainty of what is beyond , if there is any.

We have a fear of uncertainty in all aspects of our lives. We hate it. Yet , it is where the adventure of it all lays.
The things we hold on to , what we accept as truths , are nothing but uncertainties.

You nailed it, uncertainty is the spice of life, that's why they say "certain death" maybe.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Spiritualism quite often is seen as a threat to religion because it can be performed anywhere has no denomination and can be performed for free ...........go figure
Unlike Christianity which comes as a book and the only other ingredient is prayer which is done in the privacy of your home. Perhaps you are confusing the Bible (which is also free) with big business.

As I have said, the spiritual journey is a personal one where as religion requires numbers to sustain. This picture about sums up what the spiritual journey is all about:

You may as well throw in some Romeo and Juliet music as #2 is about as solid as the Titanic in iceberg season.

The Bible takes you to the top of the hill, everything else is just a game.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

The little note at the bottom about doing it with friends is when religions start.

somebody said:

Vine Deloria Jr.

We are constantly fighting a battle of meaning with the word religion which roughly translated means personal philosophy of life.
Online Etymology Dictionary

Whatever one's opinion, I don't think I have any right to judge, mock or 'correct' them. Live and let live.

Souls, spirits, God, mother nature...whatever. Everyone have at it I say. Whatever brings you resolution and calm.
You (expletive deleted) libertarian.

:D

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Life's purpose is to enjoy it while you have it, I'll agree. Same for the unknown. I even enjoy that part cuz it's a challenge sometimes. If you quit experiencing new stuff and learning from life, you might as well lay down and bury yourself cuz you're dead.

And constantly fretting about what's ahead makes you miss some of what's around you so might as well enjoy life now and fret about hell n heaven when you get there. :D I don't think there's anything past this, so I'm determined to enjoy this bit to the max without religion.