Lent 2014, what sacrifice will you make?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Two years ago I didn't post on this forum during Lent. For me that wasn't much of a sacrifice so last year I gave up booze. Giving up alcohol was more challenging but after a few days it was like being on cruise control. I'm starting to ponder what to sacrifice this year. What worldly pleasure are you sacrificing or what challenge are you making for yourself for Lent 2014? Lent begins March 5 this year and ends April 19.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Two years ago I didn't post on this forum during Lent. For me that wasn't much of a sacrifice so last year I gave up booze. Giving up alcohol was more challenging but after a few days it was like being on cruise control. I'm starting to ponder what to sacrifice this year. What worldly pleasure are you sacrificing or what challenge are you making for yourself for Lent 2014? Lent begins March 5 this year and ends April 19.
I don't believe in Lent for the traditional reasons but lately in my life I am noticing life goes along and then something interrupts the flow and it is either inconvenient or down right scary but it disturbs the "nice".

Then things clear up and suddenly everything seems joyful again. It's because minus the irritation, I get a surge of; "wow, dodged that bullet" and life feels really, really good again.

This is making me reflect upon "joyful" because I am realizing just how incredibly good my life is on a daily mundane basis. I know this might sound crazy to some but there it is. I want to become more mindful of the bounty in my life. Thus I am trying to decide what to give up for lent in order to make myself more mindful.

I have several ideas but what others post here could alter my ideas.

At work there is a constant assortment of goodies beside my desk. This particular environment where I am currently contracted has peaks and valleys of work under tight deadline. It becomes a pressure cooker to produce. Therefore it is easy to leave my nutritious morning smoothie (we all call it my green slime drink) sitting on my desk while I indulge in "goodies".

I am thinking of giving up the goodies. Period.

Another thought is, at the end of the day, I love to come home and pour a nice glass of wine while I make dinner. Love that.

So there you have it Walter.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
At work there is a constant assortment of goodies beside my desk. This particular environment where I am currently contracted has peaks and valleys of work under tight deadline. It becomes a pressure cooker to produce. Therefore it is easy to leave my nutritious morning smoothie (we all call it my green slime drink) sitting on my desk while I indulge in "goodies".

I am thinking of giving up the goodies. Period.

Another thought is, at the end of the day, I love to come home and pour a nice glass of wine while I make dinner. Love that.
Give up the goodies. A glass of wine is good for ya (a bottle ain't). Also realize that those crappy times, you also create. Seems us humming beings can't learn much without adversity.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Give up the goodies. A glass of wine is good for ya (a bottle ain't). Also realize that those crappy times, you also create. Seems us humming beings can't learn much without adversity.
The having created them is why I want to become more "aware" ..... for me these awareness campaigns often take the form of having lost something important....frigging blonde moments are driving me crazy and part of it stems from the pressure cooker atmosphere....I then do things without being mindful like for instance put my garage door opener down on my desk for a moment on the way out because someone has interrupted me and then I drive home. It is making me bonkers....but then (here's the nice part that happened as a result) drove up to the door and someone was right behind me and opened it. Went down next morning to go to work and no one is ever in the garage that early but low and behold my neighbour came down seconds later, and opened the door so I just drove right out.

Things like that, and it ranges up to more serious.

But I like your idea about the wine versus the sugar.....thanks Cliffy.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The having created them is why I want to become more "aware" ..... for me these awareness campaigns often take the form of having lost something important....frigging blonde moments are driving me crazy and part of it stems from the pressure cooker atmosphere....I then do things without being mindful like for instance put my garage door opener down on my desk for a moment on the way out because someone has interrupted me and then I drive home. It is making me bonkers....but then (here's the nice part that happened as a result) drove up to the door and someone was right behind me and opened it. Went down next morning to go to work and no one is ever in the garage that early but low and behold my neighbour came down seconds later, and opened the door so I just drove right out.

Things like that, and it ranges up to more serious.

But I like your idea about the wine versus the sugar.....thanks Cliffy.
And here is the good news: the older you get, the more brain farts you get... but the less you care about them.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And here is the good news: the older you get, the more brain farts you get... but the less you care about them.
lol well I am caring about them, I think when I was younger I just thought, meh no biggy, now I am older and want less intrusion and inconvenience in my daily schedule I am becoming more a nal....

barra

Nominee Member
Dec 28, 2013
Whether practicing Catholic or not, or Orthodox etc - Lent is a naturally adapted human cycle of cleansing, just as nature is doing right now with winds and rain, cleansing the earth of dead debris for the return of new growth.

The ancients pretty much all observed this rite and necessity for the body, mind and soul. Christianity adapted over top of pagan things like fasting etc.

So, on that note, fasting is something all people would do well do observe - or a sacrifice, food is normally the chosen item, as it is part of a cleansing human cycle.

But...giving up? hmm, is good to give up at least one thing and fast at least 3 times during lent, including Good Friday etc. Because the return to full way of eating or life is rewarding when a sacrifice has occured. In past, gave up coffee, salt, sugar, cookies etc. Giving up sugar was hard, because sugar in so many things, same with salt. I gave up salt shaker that time.

But it also cleanses the brain and soul in ways, depriving oneself, helps one feel grateful that they do have abundance in life.

As for the true lenten observance, also means to add something to ones repertoire of giving service or pay more attention to kindness, or acts of charity. I did not understand this growing up, but now I do.

So, for me, good question what to give up? and I almost forgot to contemplate this. Sometimes I go overboard, so doing something manageable is important.

1. Give up: french fries - my absolute weakness
2. Add more meditation and prayers to be kinder in my actions.
3. Clean my closets and give some stuff for act of charity.

O.k. that is 3 things. :)

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Instead of giving something up, How about we commit to doing something? How about we forum posters committ to 40 days of bible reading and study. Take it easy, Cliffy - don't go and have a heart attack. Maybe we can get Motar to initiate the study. Then we read a little each day & come back to post about what we read.
Anyone willing? Then you can forget about ditching the french fries - eat, drink & be merry!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Instead of giving something up, How about we commit to doing something? How about we forum posters committ to 40 days of bible reading and study. Take it easy, Cliffy - don't go and have a heart attack. Maybe we can get Motar to initiate the study. Then we read a little each day & come back to post about what we read.
Anyone willing? Then you can forget about ditching the french fries - eat, drink & be merry!

Really, you sure you don't want to think on this just a little bit longer?

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Think on what? The Bible study or my "eat, drink & be merry" line? Gerry - I think we would argue less if you lighten up a little. My intention was by no means to suggest people go against their conscience. It was a little quip ( or apparently not) suggesting - if we do the bible study we can go ahead and eat the fries. It was just a stupid remark. Which, by now, you should know there are many stupid things that fly out of my mouth.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
but you and motar are so good at throwing bible quotes at everyone showing what we are doing wrong. I see you really don't "abide" by your own advice. Or is "satan get thee behind me" something I should take more seriously when dealing with the 2 of you?

"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" (Matthew 7:21-23 NIV)

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
but you and motar are so good at throwing bible quotes at everyone showing what we are doing wrong. I see you really don't "abide" by your own advice. Or is "satan get thee behind me" something I should take more seriously when dealing with the 2 of you?

"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" (Matthew 7:21-23 NIV)
gerry - these forums are for debate/sharing of ideas/explaining where our ideas come from. I think it would do you well to stop thinking every comment or stated scripture verse is directed at you. Here's a comment specifically for you, gerry:

May God Bless you and give you peace.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A married Catholic man comes home from work. Has supper with his wife and later off to bed they go.
He starts to cuddle in wanting to make love, Charlie she says, it is Lent.
Charlie pauses, thinks a moment, then tells her, don’t care who you Lent it to get it back.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Rationing or eliminating alcohol is a pretty standard resolution.. when i was younger that was quite a sacrifice since it meant giving up a good part of my social life.. but now.. not so much. I go through some type of fast every Lent.. a good way to get your body back in line with your soul.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

For Lent, I'll continue to abstain from consuming alcohol and meat.