Say what? Religious or not or somewhere in between

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Myself I believe in a Creator. This life is just part of the journey. One ends, the next adventure begins.
Who knows what the Creator plans for the next step in the journey.
I also believe in Jesus. I also believe that the Creator gave us a map and a plan. So blaming God for this, that or whatever is futile as we were given Free Will.

Free will - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
: voluntary choice or decision <I do this of my own free will>
: freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention

Agnostic - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Full Definition of AGNOSTIC
: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
: a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>

Atheism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

atheism
noun (Concise Encyclopedia)

Critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or divine beings. Unlike agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a God, atheism is a positive denial. It is rooted in an array of philosophical systems. Ancient Greek philosophers such as Democritus and Epicurus argued for it in the context of materialism. In the 18th century David Hume and Immanuel Kant, though not atheists, argued against traditional proofs for God's existence, making belief a matter of faith alone. Atheists such as Ludwig Feuerbach held that God was a projection of human ideals and that recognizing this fiction made self-realization possible. Marxism exemplified modern materialism. Beginning with Friedrich Nietzsche, existentialist atheism proclaimed the death of God and the human freedom to determine value and meaning. Logical positivism holds that propositions concerning the existence or nonexistence of God are nonsensical or meaningless.

Deism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Definition of DEISM
: a movement or system of thought advocating natural religion, emphasizing morality, and in the 18th century denying the interference of the Creator with the laws of the universe

Religious - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Full Definition of RELIGIOUS
: relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity <a religious person> <religious attitudes>
: of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances <joined a religious order>
a : scrupulously and conscientiously faithful

What Is Humanism

https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-today/non-religious-beliefs/
Non-religious Beliefs

What’s in a word? Non-religious people describe and define themselves (and are described and defined) in various ways. These variations do reflect some differences in meaning and emphasis, though in practice there is very considerable overlap.

“Non-believers” do, of course, have many beliefs, though not religious ones. For example, they typically hold that moral feelings are social in origin, based on treating others as they would wish to be treated (the ‘golden rule’ which antedates all the major world religions). They may describe themselves in various ways, and the most common today are listed below. These non-religious positions, attitudes and beliefs have a long history, though denial of religion began to be publicly acceptable only during the 19th and 20th centuries. During this period a range of organisations began to serve and represent the interests of the non-religious.
— ag·nos·ti·cism noun

http://alghazzali.org/resources/articles/predest.pdf

The Issue of Predestination and Free Will | Justice of God | Books on Islam and Muslims | Al-Islam.org

Free Will and Predestination in Islam - WikiIslam

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Well......at least........This thread doesn't have any Bible Thumping, New testament quotes, videos......or righteous evolution bafflegab.......

Yet

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well......at least........This thread doesn't have any Bible Thumping, New testament quotes, videos......or righteous evolution bafflegab.......

Yet

Another thing I learned from my parents. Be wary of the one that has been saved or had a problem with something and kicked that habit- whether it was quit drinking to finding Religion.
They were right, you were wrong.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
The universe was created. Obviously.
If you chose to get down on your knees and subjugate yourself to the stories made up by humans to control other humans then you get what you get.
I say stand up on your hind legs and face the creator as an equal. If you dare. lol.
I welcome any interaction from 'the creator' any time.
Of course I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that if there is an actual creator, as religions of the world profess, I will never meet them.
Guess I'll just continue being a good person anyways.

PS. not too many bible quote for you Da? lol.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The universe was created. Obviously.
If you chose to get down on your knees and subjugate yourself to the stories made up by humans to control other humans then you get what you get.
I say stand up on your hind legs and face the creator as an equal. If you dare. lol.
I welcome any interaction from 'the creator' any time.
Of course I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that if there is an actual creator, as religions of the world profess, I will never meet them.
Guess I'll just continue being a good person anyways.
Me, not a kneeler. I am not subjugated, nor driven to do this, that or whatever by God. Now if you know those types, fine?

You do not believe there is anything past this life?
Myself I differ on that.

From the OP -
Myself I believe in a Creator. This life is just part of the journey. One ends, the next adventure begins.
Who knows what the Creator plans for the next step in the journey.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Meh. There's a physiological reason for thinking humans have no free will; everything we think or do is a result of the electro-chemical activity in our brains.
It used to be obvious that the world was flat. So, no, it is not obvious the universe was created. Available info suggests that the universe we are familiar with was "created" but there is evidence that it was just transformed from one state to this current one. Not everything HAS to have a beginning and an end. EG: a Mobius strip or a circle. :)
Anyways, I think religions are a fun toy to play with for the most part so I, as an atheist and a-religionist, am glad humans invented them.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Meh. There's a physiological reason for thinking humans have no free will; everything we think or do is a result of the electro-chemical activity in our brains.
It used to be obvious that the world was flat. So, no, it is not obvious the universe was created. Available info suggests that the universe we are familiar with was "created" but there is evidence that it was just transformed from one state to this current one. Not everything HAS to have a beginning and an end. EG: a Mobius strip or a circle. :)
Anyways, I think religions are a fun toy to play with for the most part so I, as an atheist and a-religionist, am glad humans invented them.
Our brain is made of very tasty sandwitch meat our mind knows how to bake bread. A beginning is an end.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

If something exists then it was, obviously created, somehow. We as humans do not know how or why or from what other state but yet we seem to exist so therefore we were created. Created is a very broad term.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If something exists then it was, obviously created, somehow.
Why?
We as humans do not know how or why or from what other state but yet we seem to exist so therefore we were created. Created is a very broad term.
How is it obvious? You have evidence the universe was created? I think perhaps it REcreates itself, but has been doing that forever. Nothing can be created from no-thing.
hhmmm Most people cannot conceive of absolute nothing. Just as most people cannot conceive of the extent of eternal.

Anyway, yes, we were "created. A better nterm for it would be "speciation", though.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Why? How is it obvious? You have evidence the universe was created? I think perhaps it REcreates itself, but has been doing that forever. Nothing can be created from no-thing.
hhmmm Most people cannot conceive of absolute nothing. Just as most people cannot conceive of the extent of eternal.

Anyway, yes, we were "created. A better nterm for it would be "speciation", though.

You are demonstrating that this is all beyond our perception.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Why? How is it obvious? You have evidence the universe was created? I think perhaps it REcreates itself, but has been doing that forever. Nothing can be created from no-thing.

That Brit fellow changed his mind on black holes- reason was it did not fit with what they know.
Lots of high end thinking people are fairly confused is the way I am looking at it.

Why Hawking is Wrong About Black Holes