Does the Bible Really Support Rape and Polygamy?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
This is the first installment of a special series TheBlaze is running called “Inside the Bible.” We will be exploring controversial issues as they are framed in the book to better understand their context and meaning. This week’s subject is marriage.

Atheist activists and Biblical critics often delve into the scriptures and rely upon proof texts to make a variety of claims that in their view debunk — or at least cast doubt — upon the holy book. From contentions that its contents condone rape to the notion that the scriptures tout polygamy, there is no shortage of faith-based controversy.

The latest such controversy came in early June, when three professors with intricate knowledge of the Christian scriptures came together to pen an article in the Des Moines Register meant to challenge some traditional perceptions. In short, they sought to refute the claim that the Bible restricts marriage to one man and one woman. But were they correct in their insinuations? That’s just one of the questions we’ll look at in this installment of the series.

Considering the importance that the institution of marriage has to society — and to the contemporary sociopolitical debate — TheBlaze reached out to our expert faith panel to seek their advice on the professors’ claims and, more generally, on issues pertaining marriage. These thinkers and leaders tackled controversial subjects like monogamy, polygamy, rape, divorce, celibacy and a number of other associated subjects.

Below, we tackle these discussions one-by-one:

article:

Fact Check: Does the Bible Really Support Rape and Polygamy? TheBlaze Explores Atheists’ Critiques | TheBlaze.com

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Mildly interesting. I think what the experts have ignored, though, is the question, "what if there is no god?". Or "what if each of us are our own god?". Or, "what if what we call 'god' is simply the impartial and indifferent universe?".
Why is the Bible the ONLY book that has all the answers? Because it says so? Because people say so? lol
Pretty much the same old rhetoric based upon an assumption but it's rhetoric coming from experts on Biblical interpretation and context. There's no lack of experts.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Mildly interesting. I think what the experts have ignored, though, is the question, "what if there is no god?". Or "what if each of us are our own god?". Or, "what if what we call 'god' is simply the impartial and indifferent universe?".
Why is the Bible the ONLY book that has all the answers? Because it says so? Because people say so? lol
Pretty much the same old rhetoric based upon an assumption but it's rhetoric coming from experts on Biblical interpretation and context. There's no lack of experts.

The question posed and looked at was quite specific. If you want to pose a different question to these scholars, have at it. They were identified in the article.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
There is a HUGE difference between the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old sets the basic ground rules, and predicts that the Messiah will come.

The New shows that the Messiah HAS come, and radically changes the old Jewish religion into what became known as Christianity.

If all of the people that CLAIM to be Christian would actually live according to the New Testament, this would be a LOT better world.

Many people forget, in the Lord's Prayer, we ask God to forgive us OUR trespasses, as WE FORGIVE THOSE THAT HAS TRESPASSED AGAINST US! In other words, God is to judge us, exactly as we judge those that have sinned/hurt/trespassed against us. That is actually a VERY powerful request that we make of God.

It took me a VERY long time to forgive those that had hurt/injured me, but I had to if I expect God to forgive me for MY sins.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Bible means whatever you want it to mean. If you want to say it supports rape, you'll fine the right passages. If you don't, you'll contort some nonsense about how "it's not criminal rape" and just a sexual relationship gotten out of hand and "not ideal."

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So? Probably won't have to as it sounds like this is one in a series.
My point is that the Bible is a lot less relevant than people think and pretend it to be. :)

For some, yes, for others, it is very relevant.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
and yet, here you are discussing something that is apparently irrelevant to you.
:rolleyes: Missed the point of my comment. I said you can find whatever you want; it's irrelevant to me. Meaning whatever you find is irrelevant to me.
The word "obtuse" seems to apply to your comment. But anyway, so what? I can discuss something without having any interest in it if I want to.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
See Betty Bowers in You Tube for her explanations on what is the Bible's definition of marriage.

As for polygyny, Jesus was asked by Jewish scholars if Levirate Law was still legal under his regime. He did not answer which means he never overruled it. Thus, polygyny remains valid and was practiced by Sefardic Jews until the 15th century when they were stopped by the Inquisition. By the way, Martin Luther and John Milton both said polygyny is not incompatible with New Testament law.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
See Betty Bowers in You Tube for her explanations on what is the Bible's definition of marriage.

As for polygyny, Jesus was asked by Jewish scholars if Levirate Law was still legal under his regime. He did not answer which means he never overruled it. Thus, polygyny remains valid and was practiced by Sefardic Jews until the 15th century when they were stopped by the Inquisition. By the way, Martin Luther and John Milton both said polygyny is not incompatible with New Testament law.

Luther AND Milton made a mint in the custom mattress business...

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

I couldn't care less about polygamy as long as it is not coerced, is between adults and works for the people involved meaning the children produced are in a healthy environment. Why the government feels they need to stick their shnoz in it is beyond me.

It is taboo and for no real reason other than ignorance and fear... which is essentially always involved when others do what we think is wrong based on some bizarre belief system.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How many rapes follow this pattern?

De:21:10:
When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies,
and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands,
and thou hast taken them captive,
De:21:11:
And seest among the captives a beautiful woman,
and hast a desire unto her,
that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;
De:21:12:
Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house;
and she shall shave her head,
and pare her nails;
De:21:13:
And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her,
and shall remain in thine house,
and bewail her father and her mother a full month:
and after that thou shalt go in unto her,
and be her husband,
and she shall be thy wife.
De:21:14:
And it shall be,
if thou have no delight in her,
then thou shalt let her go whither she will;
but thou shalt not sell her at all for money,
thou shalt not make merchandise of her,
because thou hast humbled her.
De:21:15:
If a man have two wives,
one beloved,
and another hated,
and they have born him children,
both the beloved and the hated;
and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated:

As for many wives, when you capture brides to be and in wars fought only by men the normal 50/50 ratio would result in maidens in old age rather than them being a grandmother to many children. If you counted the 12 tribes as existing from Abraham's children and on until the 7th trump sounds God could have had that number in mind specifically. I say that because the whole House of Israel and the whole of the 7 Churches are both destined to be the only ones alive for the 1,000 years and from there they move into New Jerusalem for eternity once the new earth starts. The ones not alive fot the 1,000 years build their home someplace in the new earth. Perhaps we each get a galaxy , who can count? In the OT once Israel was settled they should have lived in peace yet there were many civil wars and other battles that took the lives of many men. That could have been because before the earth is reclaimed the 'king' is Satan and as such God could not create a powerful nation so wars and many wives made the population as large as possible fot the resurrection day compared if there had been no wars and only one wife per man.

Granted, the way the 6 fingered people were treated back then you would have to wonder a bit about 'conduct unbecoming an 'officer' but before the 10 Commandments could become law the 'rules' (the 6 fingered giants had to be exterminated)

It won't be that way in the new earth. A person is given 120 years, the first 20 they will be called an infant, at 20 the title changes to 'child of God' and in the next 100 years they live as an adult does today. They become immortal (rather than eternal) at 120 and they do not have any children after going from needing food to stay alive to not needing food to stay alive. At 120 God judges rthem to not be a sinner and the child title is replaced by 'old man' and that lasts for eternity, which you will need to explore the universe. That is the new earth and the new heaven for the angels is in the place the Great White Throne is in. (other side of the void) (Isiah 65 reference)

I couldn't care less about polygamy as long as it is not coerced, is between adults and works for the people involved meaning the children produced are in a healthy environment. Why the government feels they need to stick their shnoz in it is beyond me.

It is taboo and for no real reason other than ignorance and fear... which is essentially always involved when others do what we think is wrong based on some bizarre belief system.
If you look back at the beginning and after the flood there may have been 3 women giants that were wives to the 3 sons of Noah. One had to be to have giants alive until after the exodus began. Selective marriages that favored 6 and 6 getting married but never 5 to 5 as the children would follow the genetics of the parents. In the other two cases it worked the opposite and the 6 fingered people simply did not reproduce as the dominate trait, by design.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

No coercion = agree 100%

Let it be voluntary and let the government stay out of people's bedrooms.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
For those who accept everything at face value through Faith its relevant.
For those who question or want definitive proof its not as relevant.
For me I don't believe its all literal, some of it was stories for those who
had no education.
I think the Bible was actually more about politics and revolution than about
faith, but that is one mans opinion