Obama offends Catholics in the UK, says religious schools are divisive

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Catholic media is up in arms over comments President Obama made during a speech while in Northern Ireland for the G8 summit. Obama made what is described as “an alarming call for an end to Catholic education,” in spite of the fact that it is considered “a critical component of the Church.”

In front of an audience of about 2,000 young people, including many Catholics, Obama claimed that Catholic education divides people and blocks peace, according to the Scottish Catholic Observer.
“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden—that too encourages division and discourages cooperation,” Obama said.

hark

Obama offends Catholics in the UK, says religious schools are divisive - BizPac Review

Wonder what barry of riverdance has to say about Madrassahs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You mean segregating schools by religion is not divisive?

Divisiveness is taught. Parents who teach their kids that they are apart from others, will impart that whether they are in separate schools or not.

Coming from a country with private schools, and race schools, I find his criticism of Catholic schools odd.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I guess white schools, Chinese schools, African schools, etc. are all ok then, too. Or schools for males vs schools for females. Just because the separation is religious based doesn't alter the fact that it's still separation. Division means separation.
Either way, though, I couldn't give two hoots about what DUHbama says or thinks.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I have never and will never accuse the Bamster of being intelligent.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Divisiveness is taught. Parents who teach their kids that they are apart from others, will impart that whether they are in separate schools or not.

Coming from a country with private schools, and race schools, I find his criticism of Catholic schools odd.

I agree that divisiveness is learned behaviour, and that it starts at home, but that doesn't change the validity of the statement. If kids are in a situation where they are lumped in with those that their indoctrination teaches them not to trust/like/whatever it is still an exposure that can lead to questioning of those teachings, if the kids have positive encounters.

Of all the things people want to gripe about, this is pretty weak. Its to the point that if Obama says the sun comes up in the East, the anti-Obama rants will come out that he is against Western culture...

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Meh. I loathed my ten years of Catholic School. Some liked it. No idea why. I dont have a problem with religious schools per-se. They should fund themselves though. Thats my one problem with the Catholic Schools in Ontario.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I agree that divisiveness is learned behaviour, and that it starts at home, but that doesn't change the validity of the statement. If kids are in a situation where they are lumped in with those that their indoctrination teaches them not to trust/like/whatever it is still an exposure that can lead to questioning of those teachings, if the kids have positive encounters.

Of all the things people want to gripe about, this is pretty weak. Its to the point that if Obama says the sun comes up in the East, the anti-Obama rants will come out that he is against Western culture...

Well if you find a school that teaches them not to like anyone outside their school, absolutely. I doubt you'll find that in modern day Catholic schools in the UK though

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Well if you find a school that teaches them not to like anyone outside their school, absolutely. I doubt you'll find that in modern day Catholic schools in the UK though

Northern Ireland is part of the UK... the problem there is the religious divide. Its not only on the Catholics but its not helped by the insisting that the schools are an integral part of their religion. Catechisms can be taught outside the educational institutions.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think he might be onto something. Instead of the word Catholic the word religious
schools should be inserted. They are divisive and confrontational. Children of all
colours, creeds and religions should be playing on the public school grounds and
stop all the nonsense we were brought up with.
As a child on my fathers side of the family our Scots heritage was there, Highland
Scot, the lowlanders were traitors for siding with the English, especially the Campbell's.
Yes that dislike is still going on.
On my mother side her folks came from Ireland and the Protestants were traitors for
siding with the English. All that got was me thinking for myself and wondering who was
right and wrong and I realized from two ends of the scale they both were wrong.
Its like these daily pick pick at Obama statements, everyday they want to find fault with
something. You know I won't argue with him on this one, all private schools should be
closed and all children in a nation should learn to play together and put an end to adult
verbal poisoning once and for all. but hey its just an observation. America has divided
itself primarily on religion believe it or not. There are all those urban areas where life is
one thing and then there is the rural Jesus Land who don't like or understand change.
I pity them they are stuck in a never never land that either never existed.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think he might be onto something. Instead of the word Catholic the word religious
schools should be inserted. They are divisive and confrontational. Children of all
colours, creeds and religions should be playing on the public school grounds and
stop all the nonsense we were brought up with.
As a child on my fathers side of the family our Scots heritage was there, Highland
Scot, the lowlanders were traitors for siding with the English, especially the Campbell's.
Yes that dislike is still going on.
On my mother side her folks came from Ireland and the Protestants were traitors for
siding with the English. All that got was me thinking for myself and wondering who was
right and wrong and I realized from two ends of the scale they both were wrong.
Its like these daily pick pick at Obama statements, everyday they want to find fault with
something. You know I won't argue with him on this one, all private schools should be
closed and all children in a nation should learn to play together and put an end to adult
verbal poisoning once and for all. but hey its just an observation. America has divided
itself primarily on religion believe it or not. There are all those urban areas where life is
one thing and then there is the rural Jesus Land who don't like or understand change.
I pity them they are stuck in a never never land that either never existed.

He was stupid to bring it up. Just plain stupid.