U.S. to split by 2010? Russian analyst thinks so (U.s. To Split By 2010? Russian Analyst Thinks So)


Tyr
#1
KGB-trained official's prediction of looming breakup spurs celebrity, scorn

updated 1:01 a.m. PT, Sat., Jan. 3, 2009 For seriously predicting that the United States will break into six parts in June or July of 2010, Igor Panarin has suddenly become a Russian state-media celebrity. Hardly a day goes by without another interview or two for the KGB-trained, Kremlin-backed senior analyst. The clamor in Russia for his ideas is growing, he says.
Panarin's disintegration divination comes complete with a map. In it, Alaska goes to Russia. Hawaii goes to Japan or China. "The California Republic" — the West from Utah and Arizona to the Pacific — goes to China. "The Texas Republic" — the South from New Mexico to Florida — goes to Mexico. "Atlantic America" — the Northeast from Tennessee and South Carolina up to Maine — joins the European Union. And "The Central North-American Republic" — the Plains from Ohio to Montana — goes to Canada.
Few Americans paid any attention to his novel views until this week, when the Wall Street Journal trumpeted them on Page 1. Within hours, the U.S. media began the counterattack.

This is preposterous, Time magazine said in a blog.
"The man knows nothing at all about American regional differences," wrote Justin Fox, Time's business and economics columnist. South Carolina is like Massachusetts? Tennessee will join with France? Idaho will find something to love about California? Wyoming will snuggle up to Ottawa? Alabama will happily report to Mexico City? "Yeah, right!" Fox wrote. "Has this man ever been to the United States? Has he never even heard of 'The Nine Nations of North America'? . . . Igor, do your homework!"
Ahem, yes, that 1981 "Nine Nations" book I myself wrote. Well, I was young. I needed the money.
The regional bloggers who find it useful to view the continent functioning as if it were nine separate economies or distinct cultures that pay little regard to state or national boundaries have been loudly a-chirp about Panarin for a while.
 
Kreskin
#2
All of the northern states will join Canada. We will be hockey powerhouse extraordinaire!
 
Spade
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

All of the northern states will join Canada. We will be hockey powerhouse extraordinaire!

Do we want the New Jersey Devils?
 
Tyr
#4
...or the Detroit Lions
 
Spade
#5
Or da Bears or da Bulls!
 
Tyr
#6
We will take Mt. Rainer and Seattle though. Very cool places
 
Nuggler
#7
New York has some dandy trout streams. I want N.Y.
 
Spade
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

New York has some dandy trout streams. I want N.Y.

And, if we get Michigan, Toronto won't be accused of exporting its garbage into the US!
 
Toro
#9
Why would Canada want even more cold states? Canada should petition for some sunshine states instead.
 
SirJosephPorter
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

All of the northern states will join Canada. We will be hockey powerhouse extraordinaire!

We don’t want the Northern states; most of them (including New York) are too conservative for Canada (except maybe Massachusetts). Inclusion of Northern states will move Canada to the right, and I want no part of it.
 
SirJosephPorter
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro View Post

Why would Canada want even more cold states? Canada should petition for some sunshine states instead.

Now you are talking. I wouldn’t mind if Hawaii joins Canada It is too small (and too remote) to affect Canada politically, and a sunshine state in Canada would be welcome. Instead of Cuba, Canadians could vacation in Hawaii.
 
missile
#12
When that super volcano under Yellowstone Park blows,there won't be any United States or Canada left to argue about.
 
Colpy
#13
Wow! What foolishness!

Can you say "Wishful Thinking"???????
 
pgs
#14
Most western Canadians do vacation in Hawaii.
Even if Hawaii joined Canada you Torontonians would still vacation in Cuba.
It is faster cheaper and much closer to your political ideals.
 
Praxius
#15
Well if this ever occured, it sounds like the colonial wars all over again, only with new countries involved.

One thing this guy didn't put into account was Canada's own stability, or any of the other countries in question. Is Canada even willing or ready to take on additional states/provinces?

What about Quebec? It'd be a good time for them to do their little seperating thing, and who knows.... some of those states/provinces might join Quebec.

There isn't much in question in regards to the stability of the US at this time (Although a lot of folks like to talk it up like there isn't anything seriously wrong) but what will happen in the next few years is all up for grabs.

Maybe the US will collapse.... maybe they won't. But it's a bit of a long stretch to go and pick/choose who gets what at this point in time.

And maybe instead, there will be two countries breaking up (US/Canada) ~ Then who gets what?
 
taxslave
#16
Guess he never heard of Pacifica. Don't they teach anything about thee world beyond their own borders in Russia anymore?
 
Tyr
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Most western Canadians do vacation in Hawaii.
Even if Hawaii joined Canada you Torontonians would still vacation in Cuba.
It is faster cheaper and much closer to your political ideals.

I guess that means most BC'ers would go for the Hawaii deal.... Maui Wowie galore and everybody sleeps 'till noon
 
EagleSmack
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

We don’t want the Northern states; most of them (including New York) are too conservative for Canada (except maybe Massachusetts). Inclusion of Northern states will move Canada to the right, and I want no part of it.

So being from Massachusetts I would then become a Canadian. Do I have to staht pronouncing my "R's"?
 
EagleSmack
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Tyr View Post

I guess that means most BC'ers would go for the Hawaii deal.... Maui Wowie galore and everybody sleeps 'till noon

And bring plenty of Loonies! It is expensive there.
 
EagleSmack
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Well if this ever occured, it sounds like the colonial wars all over again, only with new countries involved.

One thing this guy didn't put into account was Canada's own stability, or any of the other countries in question. Is Canada even willing or ready to take on additional states/provinces?

What about Quebec? It'd be a good time for them to do their little seperating thing, and who knows.... some of those states/provinces might join Quebec.

There isn't much in question in regards to the stability of the US at this time (Although a lot of folks like to talk it up like there isn't anything seriously wrong) but what will happen in the next few years is all up for grabs.

Maybe the US will collapse.... maybe they won't. But it's a bit of a long stretch to go and pick/choose who gets what at this point in time.

And maybe instead, there will be two countries breaking up (US/Canada) ~ Then who gets what?

C'mon Prax... You're ruining all their fun!
 
Kreskin
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

So being from Massachusetts I would then become a Canadian. Do I have to staht pronouncing my "R's"?

ES, two years of hockey service is mandatory. Staht honing those skills.
 
Spade
#22
I thought Massashooters pronounced their R's whole!
 
Praxius
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

C'mon Prax... You're ruining all their fun!

Well I like to change things up from time to time to keep people on their toes
 
EagleSmack
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

I thought Massashooters pronounced their R's whole!

Massahooters? Never heard that before.

At any rate... I have a Boston accent. The way I type and the way I sound are far different. If there is an "R" on the end of a word you will hear "AH" instead. For example...

Far=Fah
Car=Cah

Over there= Ova theah
 
EagleSmack
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

ES, two years of hockey service is mandatory. Staht honing those skills.

I have one year of Hockey clinic so I can take course once the Canadian takeova of Massachusetts is completed.
 
SirJosephPorter
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

And bring plenty of Loonies! It is expensive there.

Eaglesmack, expensive is relative. We visited Hawaii two years ago and we were horrified to see gas there 3 $ a gallon. Until it became 4 $ a gallon on the mainland.
 
EagleSmack
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

Eaglesmack, expensive is relative. We visited Hawaii two years ago and we were horrified to see gas there 3 $ a gallon. Until it became 4 $ a gallon on the mainland.

So back in Hawaii it was probably $5-$6 dollars a gallon at that time. When it comes to costs, Hawaii is never relative unless you are buying a pineapple.
 

Similar Threads

14
What the internet thinks you need
by peapod | Nov 19th, 2005