Question for the left: Is it time for a purge of the left?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
When the Progressive Conservative Party no longer represented the ideas of the right, it imploded and caused the rise of the Reform Party, the Canadian Alliance, and finally a merge into the Conservative Party of Canada.

Do you think it's now the left's turn? The NDP is now fully bought out by unions, the Liberals half by unions half by business. The Greens are coming out as a moderate left alternative with an environmental platform. It might be the Reform Party of the left, metaphorically speaking? Do you think the Canadian Alliance of the left is just around the corner?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don’t think so, Machjo, people have written obituary of Liberal Party many times before. It is mainly wishful thinking by conservatives, nothing more.

Liberals governed for 13 years, it is natural that now they are the weaker party. Indeed, if you look at other countries, I think Liberals have held out very well. Look at Australia. After Howard won three majorities in a row, the Labour party came roaring back. They are in power federally and in each and every state of Australia, a total sweep of power.

Look at USA. After Republicans controlled Presidency, Senate and House for six years, Democrats made a clean sweep in 2006 and 2008.

In UK, after Conservatives won four majorities in a row, labour party came back with a bang, with Tony Blair and won three majorities in a row.

Compare that to Canada. Harper has not been able to take advantage of the Liberal weakness, he again failed to get a majority this time around. That itself was quite an achievement on Liberals’ part, they kept Conservatives from getting a majority.

And now there is some chance we may again have a Liberal PM, Dion. So any talk of death of Liberal party is wishful thinking by the Conservatives.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Don't be so sure. The Greens did not win a seat, but they didn't do so badly for a new party.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
what left? All we really have in Canada is the fascist right and the soft mushy middle stuck to the side of the slicker liberal version of the corporate party, in my opinion.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
what left? All we really have in Canada is the fascist right and the soft mushy middle stuck to the side of the slicker liberal version of the corporate party, in my opinion.

I'm not disagreeing with you entirely beav...just mostly...

The Libs are corporate *****s for sure...like little conservative wannabees in thrift store suits...

...but they do give a thought to social programs, even if just to agree to underfund them...

...far more than can be said of the slash and burn neocons...

EDIT: Apparently we can't say whorse here...:)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When the Progressive Conservative Party no longer represented the ideas of the right, it imploded and caused the rise of the Reform Party, the Canadian Alliance, and finally a merge into the Conservative Party of Canada.

Do you think it's now the left's turn? The NDP is now fully bought out by unions, the Liberals half by unions half by business. The Greens are coming out as a moderate left alternative with an environmental platform. It might be the Reform Party of the left, metaphorically speaking? Do you think the Canadian Alliance of the left is just around the corner?

Left wing, right wing they are all tarred with same brush, we've seen them all here in B.C. - One's as corrupt and incompetent as the other.