The earthquakes that follow the total solar eclipse.


eanassir
#1
The total solar eclipse and the consequent earthquakes

It has been observed in the past solar eclipses that some strong earthquakes followed that eclipse, and in particular in the regions of the earth where that universe incident occurred, i.e. the umbral path or the region where the shadow of the moon was prominent and the solar eclipse was total (and the neighboring regions).

The total solar eclipse of 2008
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono/TSE2008/TSE2008fig/TSE2008globe1a.JPG


The total solar eclipse of 2006
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono/...6/TSE2006.html



The total solar eclipse of 1999
http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/eclipse/990811/rp.html
http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/eclipse...text/maps.html



The total solar eclipse of 1994
http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/eclipse/941103/rp.html
http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/eclipse/941103/figures/sec9411b.gif


Comment:
[I based this opinion on the many observations of the total solar eclipses and the consequent earthquakes, and according to the explanation of The_Gravity as in the book of The Universe and the Quran, by the late Mohammed-Ali Hassan Al-Hilly]

These observations indicate there is a relation between the solar eclipse: in the regions of the umbral path and the adjacent regions.
This can be explained by some variation of the sun gravity exerted on the earth, particularly in the affected regions, where the moon will impede the usual gravitational pull of the sun exerted on the earth:
The regions of the umbral path will have less gravitational force exertion, less than the other parts of the earth, and this difference between adjacent parts will cause the trembling and the quaking of the earth in the affected regions.
This will confirm that the gravity is because of the heat of the sun which is far more than the heat of the earth, and the gravity of the sun is far more than the gravity of the earth.
As can be seen here





The blue arrow resembles the solar pull on the umbral path will be less; because the moon will impede the gravitation of the sun ( because the gravity is because of the heat of the object)
The red arrows resemble the solar pull on the adjacent areas of the penumbral region where the solar eclipse is partial, and the other regions which will not see the solar eclipse.

And this difference in the gravitational pull of the sun will lead to this disturbance and the quaking of the earth in that region may occur.
http://universeandquran.site.io/#The_Gravity
Cause of the gravity
Proving that the gravity is because of the heat




eanassir
http://universeandquran.site.io
Last edited by eanassir; Aug 4th, 2008 at 11:41 PM..
 
Dexter Sinister
#2
Not a single true statement or correct conclusion there, as usual. There's no demonstrable relationship between eclipses and earthquakes. The earth has about 10 quakes greater than magnitude 5 every day, finding one near the path of an eclipse doesn't mean anything, especially if you allow, as some people do, time periods up to to several weeks after the eclipse to count the earthquakes it supposedly caused. The moon does not impede the sun's gravitational effects on the earth in an eclipse, that's not how gravity works. Gravity has nothing to do with temperature or heat either (they're not the same thing), Al-Hilly's explanations of gravity are entirely wrong, as you could easily verify if you'd consider sources of information other than the Quran and Al-Hilly's fatuous attempts to get scientific information out of it.
 
talloola
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Not a single true statement or correct conclusion there, as usual. There's no demonstrable relationship between eclipses and earthquakes. The earth has about 10 quakes greater than magnitude 5 every day, finding one near the path of an eclipse doesn't mean anything, especially if you allow, as some people do, time periods up to to several weeks after the eclipse to count the earthquakes it supposedly caused. The moon does not impede the sun's gravitational effects on the earth in an eclipse, that's not how gravity works. Gravity has nothing to do with temperature or heat either (they're not the same thing), Al-Hilly's explanations of gravity are entirely wrong, as you could easily verify if you'd consider sources of information other than the Quran and Al-Hilly's fatuous attempts to get scientific information out of it.

Feels good to have this balance back again, don't stray too far.
 
Trex
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Not a single true statement or correct conclusion there, as usual. There's no demonstrable relationship between eclipses and earthquakes. The earth has about 10 quakes greater than magnitude 5 every day, finding one near the path of an eclipse doesn't mean anything, especially if you allow, as some people do, time periods up to to several weeks after the eclipse to count the earthquakes it supposedly caused. The moon does not impede the sun's gravitational effects on the earth in an eclipse, that's not how gravity works. Gravity has nothing to do with temperature or heat either (they're not the same thing), Al-Hilly's explanations of gravity are entirely wrong, as you could easily verify if you'd consider sources of information other than the Quran and Al-Hilly's fatuous attempts to get scientific information out of it.

Dexter,

I was just wondering if you ever had the feeling that you were playing a strange sort of digital based "Whack- A- Mole".

Yours,
Trex
 
eanassir
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

Feels good to have this balance back again, don't stray too far.


Ha talloola with your nice dog,
Is your island far from here?
So you are glad of course with the reply of your comrade;
I am ready to all of you, atheists.
 
L Gilbert
#6
You may be ready with your little book of anecdotes and spells, but the only thing you have produced so far is several links to pseudoscientific claptrap and a bunch of words from a book that was written no doubt by someone either on drugs or pulling a joke on mankind. Scientifically, you have been wrong, are wrong, and most likely will continue to be wrong. Fictitiously, you are mildly entertaining at times.
 
talloola
#7
[quote=eanassir;974294]Ha talloola with your nice dog,
Is your island far from here?
Where are you?

So you are glad of course with the reply of your comrade;
Yes, he has the voice of reason and knowledge, he is much more educated than I,
so he comes from a different direction, I talk from the 'gut' and my 'heart', I
learn from him.

I am ready to all of you, atheists.
That sounds exciting, should you go first, or I?

Am I the opposite from you, or do we have anything in common.
Maybe you like chocolate labs too
Maybe we can discuss something 'other' than gods, or no gods.
Maybe we can discuss hockey.
 
FUBAR
#8
All this from a book that says the sun and moon orbit the Earth (which is flat by the way).

13:2 Allah it is Who raised up the heavens without visible supports, then mounted the Throne, and compelled the sun and the moon to be of service, each runneth unto an appointed term; He ordereth the course; He detaileth the revelations, that haply ye may be certain of the meeting with your Lord.

27:61 Is not He (best) Who made the earth a fixed abode, and placed rivers in the folds thereof, and placed firm hills therein, and hath set a barrier between the two seas ? Is there any God beside Allah ? Nay, but most of them know not!


36:40 It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor doth the night outstrip the day. They float each in an orbit.


18:86 Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring , and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness.


18:90 Till, when he reached the rising-place of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom We had appointed no shelter therefrom.


 
Praxius
#9
I can't say that I see any solid relation between solar eclipses and earthquakes.... it could be possible, and although Gilbert seems to just downright claim there isn't any relation, that isn't to say that there isn't an unknown relation.

Gravity effects are not just isolated to the Earth's mass, or the moons (In relation to the oceans and other water effects attributed to the Moon's Gravity/Position).... but the sun obviously has its own gravity, which keeps the planets from flying off into space and further away from the sun itself.

To say there isn't any effect from a combination of the Sun and the moon's alignment compared to the Earth's.... it's just closed minded, because science really doesn't have a method of testing this theory at present..... except in those wonderful computer models..... and we all know how often those can be wrong.

But at present, I agree that I don't see any real relation to eclipses and earthquakes that makes me a believer..... but I don't see anything that proves it false either.

And no offense, but religious jargon doesn't make me a believer either. Unless it can be explained in logical plain english that can be understood, then to me, it's currently unknown.

However, I do agree that the moon's position as well as other planet's positions compared to our own to the sun doesn't have any major effect, if any at all, on the Sun's gravitational effects on our planet. If I lie on the ground, and someone lies on top of me, the gravity isn't modified in any amount. With that said, the Moon orbits the Earth, and the Earth orbits the Sun.... The Earth affects the moon much more then the moon affects us. But the moon does still affect us, via ocean currents/tides, etc.

So if the moon can affect our tides and the other bodies of water on our planet and the sun can affect our seasons due to our changing distance from it, as well as our continually changing obital axis, what kind of effect occurs on our planet when the two come together in a paticular affect, such as an eclipse?

As it stands now, most just think eclipses are just pretty, however the intensity of the sun does change in that paticular area being affected.


This picture of the Aug. 11, 1999 solar eclipse was one of the last ever taken from the Mir space station. NASA image.

As a broad example, if you take a pot of boiling water off the stove by an inch or two, it stops boiling... put it back on, and it boils up again pretty quickly. I would have to say that during an eclipse, this sort of thing can happen to the earth, be that on the surface, due to lack/more of UV exposure from the sun in that area, or perhap more deeper effects towards the Earth's Magma or Tetonic Plates.

We already have Global Warming advocates talking about how if the global temps increase, that we'll be seeing more hurricanes, earthquakes, etc..... well what would happen on a short burst effect in a paticular area of the Earth?

(That's no a jab, but a general question)
 
eanassir
#10
China has been one of the main countries where the last total solar eclipse has occurred on 1 August 2008.

Today (4 days following the total eclipse) it has been hit by a strong earthquake.

Strong earthquake hits China close to previous quake's epicenter
( http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080805/wl_afp/chinaquake )


eanassir
http://universeandquran.site.io
Last edited by eanassir; Aug 5th, 2008 at 10:57 AM..
 
eanassir
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post

All this from a book that says the sun and moon orbit the Earth (which is flat by the way).

13:2 Allah it is Who raised up the heavens without visible supports, then mounted the Throne, and compelled the sun and the moon to be of service, each runneth unto an appointed term; He ordereth the course; He detaileth the revelations, that haply ye may be certain of the meeting with your Lord.

27:61 Is not He (best) Who made the earth a fixed abode, and placed rivers in the folds thereof, and placed firm hills therein, and hath set a barrier between the two seas ? Is there any God beside Allah ? Nay, but most of them know not!

36:40 It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor doth the night outstrip the day. They float each in an orbit.

18:86 Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring , and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness.

18:90 Till, when he reached the rising-place of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom We had appointed no shelter therefrom.

The translation of the meaning of the Quran:

All these words, that you cited to be the Quran, are not the Quran. The Quran was revealed in Arabic; such words that you have mentioned are only the words of some translators.

The translator mostly was not a Muslim neither was he an Arabian. The translator translates the explanation of the Quran into another language.

The same is true about the Torah which originally was revealed in Hebrew, and the Gospel which was revealed in Aramaic. The translations of these books have distorted many of the original statements.

There are many sites and links which on purpose try to distort the meaning of the word of God as revealed in the Glorious Quran.

>> The Quran declares the earth is spherical:
http://universeandquran.site.io/new_page_3.htm#A_miracle_of_the_Quran:_the_authent ic_word_of_God

Therefore, I shall give you the true meaning of these words to which you object, while you are ?? ignorant about such Arabic word; and God knows best who conceal the truth from people and will punish him in this World and in the afterlife:

>> God – be glorified – said in the Quran 27: 61

أَمَّن جَعَلَ الْأَرْضَ قَرَارًا وَجَعَلَ خِلَالَهَا أَنْهَارًا وَجَعَلَ لَهَا رَوَاسِيَ وَجَعَلَ بَيْنَ الْبَحْرَيْنِ حَاجِزًا أَإِلَهٌ مَّعَ اللَّهِ بَلْ أَكْثَرُهُمْ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ

The explanation:
([Are their associates better] or is He Who made the earth for a 'habitation and settlement', and made rivers [to flow] through its [mountains and valleys], and made [mountains] that landed on it, and placed a partition between the two seas? Is there [then] any god beside God? No, but [actually] the most of them do not realize [the truth.] )
So the word قَرَارًا does not mean a fixed abode , but indicates the rest and settlement, and does not indicate anything like "fixed".

>> God – be exalted – said in the Quran 18: 86

حَتَّى إِذَا بَلَغَ مَغْرِبَ الشَّمْسِ وَجَدَهَا تَغْرُبُ فِي عَيْنٍ حَمِئَةٍ وَوَجَدَ عِندَهَا قَوْمًا قُلْنَا يَا ذَا الْقَرْنَيْنِ إِمَّا أَن تُعَذِّبَ وَإِمَّا أَن تَتَّخِذَ فِيهِمْ حُسْنًا

The explanation:
(Until when he (Zul-qarnain: Alexander the Great) reached at sun-set [time], he found it setting under the observation of a black woman, and he found with her a people. We said: "O 'Zul-qarnain', you have either to punish [these people if they disbelieve], or to show them kindness [if they believe and obey God].")

So the word مَغْرِبَ does not mean the place where the sun sets, but the time of its setting.
While the word عَيْن has many meanings like the water-spring, the eye of man and animal, the mine or the core of a metal, the observation and care taking as does it mean the eye of the needle and the petroleum well …etc. In the Quran and in many ayat, this word is used to indicate the observation, watching and care-taking.
The word حَمِئَة does not mean muddy , but means "black"

>> God – be celebrated His praise – said in the Quran in the same soora or chapter (18: 90) :

حَتَّى إِذَا بَلَغَ مَطْلِعَ الشَّمْسِ وَجَدَهَا تَطْلُعُ عَلَى قَوْمٍ لَّمْ نَجْعَل لَّهُم مِّن دُونِهَا سِتْرًا

The explanation:
(Until when he reached at sun-rising [time], he found it rise upon a people for whom We made no shelter therefrom.)

The word مَطْلِعَ الشَّمْسِ here means the sun-rise [time], and does not mean the rising-place of the sun .

See the details of the explanation of these ayat at this link:
http://universeandquran.site.io/new_page_3.htm#Sun
and the answer of the Question 5 about this subject, just before the subject of: Comets

There are many sites where some people have inserted such lies against the Glorious Quran to impede the propagation of the word of God: the Glorious Quran, so they fabricate some lies especially to people who do not know Arabic; for such men, God Almighty threatened them with two kinds of punishment:
  • A punishment of disgrace and abasement and degradation – which will afflict them in this World.
  • And a greivous punishment in Hell in the afterlife.
eanassir
http://universeandquran.site.io
Last edited by eanassir; Aug 5th, 2008 at 10:54 AM..
 
Dexter Sinister
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

To say there isn't any effect from a combination of the Sun and the moon's alignment compared to the Earth's.... it's just closed minded, because science really doesn't have a method of testing this theory at present..... except in those wonderful computer models..... and we all know how often those can be wrong.

Actually there's a perfectly simple way to test it: you just look for cycles in earthquake data with the same periodicity as the moon's motion. There aren't any.
Quote:

However, I do agree that the moon's position as well as other planet's positions compared to our own to the sun doesn't have any major effect, if any at all, on the Sun's gravitational effects on our planet.

Gravity is a vector quantity, in physics' simplest formulation, and the various gravitational influences on the earth can be added in the routine way vectors are added. The vectors change direction significantly as the earth and moon do their little dance around the sun, but they don't affect each other.
Quote:

So if the moon can affect our tides and the other bodies of water on our planet and the sun can affect our seasons due to our changing distance from it, as well as our continually changing obital axis

Can't let that one go by. The sun affects the tides as well, but because the moon is so much closer than the sun, the sun's effect is only about a quarter that of the moon, if my memory is correct. There are, however, noticeably higher tides when the sun and moon are lined up on the same side of the earth, as they are during an eclipse, and noticeably smaller ones when they're on opposite sides. Tides also affect the whole planet, not just the water on it. The whole planet flexes a bit, the effect is just more obvious on the water because it's so much less rigid.

Seasons are not due to earth's changing distance from the sun, they're due to the earth's axial tilt and the changing angle of incidence of solar radiation at the surface, which is why the seasons are different in the northern and southern hemispheres. Summer in Canada is Winter in Australia. And vice versa of course. Earth is actually closer to the sun during a northern hemisphere winter and farther away in the summer. The difference in both cases is about 25,000 km from the average distance, again if my memory is correct. I suppose I could look it up... It's not much of a difference really, less than .02%, not enough to matter.

Ever wondered why there isn't an eclipse every lunar month? Eclipses happen when the moon gets between the earth and the sun, and it does that about 13 times a year, so why don't we see 13 eclipses a year? See if you can figure that one out.
 
Dexter Sinister
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by eanassir View Post

China has been one of the main countries where the last total solar eclipse has occurred on 1 August 2008.

Today (4 days following the total eclipse) it has been hit by a strong earthquake.

And I presume you think that's evidence that the eclipse caused the quake? That's called the post hoc fallacy. More specifically, it's from the Latin phrase post hoc ergo propter hoc, meaning, after this therefore because of this.
 
ShintoMale
#14
can a scientific illiterate debate science?

a you tube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAvr5VZJjNQ
 
darkbeaver
#15
 
typingrandomstuff
#16
I agree with darkbeaver on this.

Moon has a gravitational field and so do earth, sun, and other planets and planetoids. If the moon and sun will completely cause the planet to have earthquakes, then the movements of the earth's gravitational field combined with the other planets will be nothing. This is not the real truth. Although the overall direction of the gravitational field seems to be toward the direction of the sun, the other planets and universes' gravitational fields should be greater than the sun and the moon. The sole gravitational forces of the sun and moon cannot destroy or heavily effect the earth's gravitational fields to cause an earthquake.

What is effecting the earthquake:
Nothing much... The regular: flipping of the core...something I already typed in 7 Ways To Save The World. Although the scientist thinks it is a hypothesis, I think there are more than a country's silent support for his hypothesis as something more than a guesswork.

Logic puzzles are as hard as crop circles. Acceptance will help a lot.
 
Dexter Sinister
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by typingrandomstuff View Post

I agree with darkbeaver on this.

What do you think he said? He posted a picture of an elaborate crop circle. I have not a clue what he meant by that, but the Beave has mysterious ways of his very own. I haven't a clue what your post means either.
 
typingrandomstuff
#18
I guess not. I guess not.
 
typingrandomstuff
#19
I think he said the whole thing is a bunch of stuff about beliefs about crop circles. Some parts of the gravitational stuff seems to be true. Some parts of the gravitational stuff seems to be fake. The fake stuff all varies because everyone has a different belief.
 
L Gilbert
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

I can't say that I see any solid relation between solar eclipses and earthquakes.... it could be possible, and although Gilbert seems to just downright claim there isn't any relation, that isn't to say that there isn't an unknown relation.

Scroll back and read again, child. It wasn't me that said there was no corelation. That was Dex. What I claimed was that EAnassir has been wrong, is wrong and no doubt will continue to be wrong ( I should qualify that and say that he can't be wrong all of the time, though). Most likely, what causes the majority of earthquakes is Earth's own forces causing the tectonic movements.
At any rate if you want to take EAnassir's interpretation of the Koran as scientifically viable, go right ahead. lol

Quote:

Gravity effects are not just isolated to the Earth's mass, or the moons (In relation to the oceans and other water effects attributed to the Moon's Gravity/Position).... but the sun obviously has its own gravity, which keeps the planets from flying off into space and further away from the sun itself.

To say there isn't any effect from a combination of the Sun and the moon's alignment compared to the Earth's.... it's just closed minded, because science really doesn't have a method of testing this theory at present..... except in those wonderful computer models..... and we all know how often those can be wrong.

It's not a theory; it's a hypothesis. And essentially, as there is no evidence of EAnassir's hypothesis being true, it might as well be claptrap.

Quote:

But at present, I agree that I don't see any real relation to eclipses and earthquakes that makes me a believer..... but I don't see anything that proves it false either..........

Science operates on evidence, not maybes. Maybes only spark hypotheses. Maybe there are gods, leprachauns, etc.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Aug 6th, 2008 at 01:12 AM..
 
Kreskin
#21


I don't remember any solar eclipses on the west coast in the last year.
 
Praxius
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Actually there's a perfectly simple way to test it: you just look for cycles in earthquake data with the same periodicity as the moon's motion. There aren't any.

Well obviously, or else that would mean the moon was the main reason for Earthquakes if that was the case, which it's not, nor is that what I was saying, since there are many other reasons why Earthquakes occur. But that doesn't mean the effects of a certain formation of an eclipse could cause them from time to time, depending on the situation and other factors at play.

My point is that gravitational effects are not the sole cause of earthquakes.

Quote:

Gravity is a vector quantity, in physics' simplest formulation, and the various gravitational influences on the earth can be added in the routine way vectors are added. The vectors change direction significantly as the earth and moon do their little dance around the sun, but they don't affect each other.

Agreed.... or at the very least, they don't affect one another to any noticable amount that we are currently aware of that would be of any importance.

Quote:

Can't let that one go by. The sun affects the tides as well, but because the moon is so much closer than the sun, the sun's effect is only about a quarter that of the moon, if my memory is correct.

Which also makes sense, not just by what you just said, but our changing position from the sun yearly causes temp. changes which also would modify the usual tidal pattern.... not to mention our axis rotation.

Quote:

There are, however, noticeably higher tides when the sun and moon are lined up on the same side of the earth, as they are during an eclipse, and noticeably smaller ones when they're on opposite sides. Tides also affect the whole planet, not just the water on it. The whole planet flexes a bit, the effect is just more obvious on the water because it's so much less rigid.

So with that said, when the sun and moon are lined up, which from what you said can cause higher then normal tides, that would mean more volume of water, which means more overall weight positioned in one location..... that in itself could cause certain effects on the tectonic plates, via changing pressure.

Quote:

Seasons are not due to earth's changing distance from the sun, they're due to the earth's axial tilt and the changing angle of incidence of solar radiation at the surface, which is why the seasons are different in the northern and southern hemispheres.

agreed mostly, however our orbit isn't a perfect circle, and as we move away from the sun on one portion of our orbit, that is what affects our axis, which both work hand in hand:



^ As our orbit runs along the same pattern as always, so too does our axial tilt.... and which is also why, for example, Canada's Summer isn't as strong as Australias, as when we are tilted towards the sun, we're also farther away, compared to when they are tilted towards the sun, they are also much closer..... which makes us more of a grass plains then a dessert in the summer time (In our hotter areas)

Think of it as one of those old KFC Oopie balls you used to get back in the 80's, were the ball was weighted on one end.

Quote:

Summer in Canada is Winter in Australia. And vice versa of course. Earth is actually closer to the sun during a northern hemisphere winter and farther away in the summer. The difference in both cases is about 25,000 km from the average distance, again if my memory is correct. I suppose I could look it up... It's not much of a difference really, less than .02%, not enough to matter.

I dunno about that....

Quote:

Ever wondered why there isn't an eclipse every lunar month? Eclipses happen when the moon gets between the earth and the sun, and it does that about 13 times a year, so why don't we see 13 eclipses a year? See if you can figure that one out.

Well for one thing, the axis tilt... and as a second:



It too isn't a perfect circular orbit.
 
Praxius
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Scroll back and read again, child. It wasn't me that said there was no corelation. That was Dex. What I claimed was that EAnassir has been wrong, is wrong and no doubt will continue to be wrong ( I should qualify that and say that he can't be wrong all of the time, though).

You claim he has been wrong, is wrong, and will be wrong, which basically states a mentality that you downright refuse, let alone accept anything he claims.... that wasn't a jab, that was a general observation.... and if you can't learn to grow the hell up and drop the "Child" bullsh*t, then you got some serious problems pal, since I have been keeping this debate civil to this point.

Try and keep it civil, if that's not too complicated for you. I pointed your name out in paticular because I required to focus detail on what I was about to say, which agreed to the majority of what you said, but I had to point out the things I didn't.

Please try and read more carefully what is being said and how next time, before we start another sh*t storm over nothing..... which seems to always be created by yourself in each thread directed to me due to your own slack ability to read what was said properly.

Quote:

Most likely, what causes the majority of earthquakes is Earth's own forces causing the tectonic movements.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean other things outside of the Earth can not play a factor at times.

Quote:

At any rate if you want to take EAnassir's interpretation of the Koran as scientifically viable, go right ahead. lol

*smacks head* Did I not just say I didn't? FFS what's wrong with you?

Quote:

It's not a theory; it's a hypothesis. And essentially, as there is no evidence of EAnassir's hypothesis being true, it might as well be claptrap.

Did I not just say this as well? I didn't say it wasn't a valid concept however.

Quote:

Science operates on evidence, not maybes. Maybes only spark hypotheses. Maybe there are gods, leprachauns, etc.

Yeah and science is about as flawed as religions in the first place, has continually got things either totally wrong, or they realized they went at it with the wrong approach.... after testing their concepts on the human population or other creatures on the planet for their own goals.

I have about as much faith in science as I do in religions..... that doesn't mean I think both are crap.... that just means I know both are not perfect.

And here I am trying to keep this civil and with as little attitude as possible, and there you go continually trying to start a bicker fest with your own petty attitude.

Once again, grow up or don't bother to respond to me..... I couldn't care less if you do one or the other, but don't start crying and complaining about my attitude and what I say in your direction when you fuel the response with your own petty remarks.
 
Dexter Sinister
#24
Try these links for some real, quantitative information.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/tides.html
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/planets.html
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/seasons.html

I see my memory was not correct on a few things too, but I was right about general principles.
 
Scott Free
#25
I just had a conversation with someone that figured aliens had a base on the dark side of the moon and were keeping the moon from rotating to prevent discovery. I jokingly asked him if he thought there were big rocket engines on the other side to which he answered maybe!
 
Praxius
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post

I just had a conversation with someone that figured aliens had a base on the dark side of the moon and were keeping the moon from rotating to prevent discovery. I jokingly asked him if he thought there were big rocket engines on the other side to which he answered maybe!

Hey, it's possible.... then again, maybe the dark side of the moon is where Bush is going to hide when he's no longer President
 
Dexter Sinister
#27
There is no dark side of the moon, at least not in the sense of it always being dark.
 
Scott Free
#28
Don't tell Pink Floyd that!
 
Kreskin
#29
Everything I know I learned from Pink Floyd.
 
Dexter Sinister
#30
There's a quiet voice-over at the end of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album (best heard with headphones) that says there's no dark side of the moon, it's all dark, it just looks bright because it's in full sunlight. It's right too, the moon *is* pretty dark on average, it reflects only about 10% of the light that hits it.
 

Similar Threads

3
Have you ever seen a total eclipse?
by CBC News | Aug 1st, 2008
7
World Prepares for Total Solar Eclipse
by I think not | Mar 29th, 2006
35
11
Lunar Eclipse
by galianomama | Oct 18th, 2004