Ottawa fights decision on residential school legal fees

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Courts across Canada have approved a $4-billion residential school deal, but Ottawa wants to appeal part of one decision relating to a Regina lawyer's fees.

More...

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
So basically the church was sued for abuse and the lawyer's take isnt big enough and they want more? The case was won but its on hold until this jerk decides to let up so the real victoms can be paid the pultry 25K (at MOST) to each victim. *shackin head*

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And the lawyers get richer...

Sing that to Cash's "Ring of fire", I'm listening to it right now, it kinda floats along with it, lol.

editted to add...

There are other and more pressing issues with this settlement that I feel should hold it up.

1) Some of the survivors(?) aren't! Some of the people I've seen represented, seem a little young.
2) Some of the abuse alligations are BS.(He's getting more then me??? I got buggered too, gimme more!!!!)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Freakin lawyers, 25-40 million is a wide margin. I wonder how that gets split, I'm sure it's a hell of alot more than $25,000.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
And the lawyers get richer...

Sing that to Cash's "Ring of fire", I'm listening to it right now, it kinda floats along with it, lol.

editted to add...

There are other and more pressing issues with this settlement that I feel should hold it up.

1) Some of the survivors(?) aren't! Some of the people I've seen represented, seem a little young.
2) Some of the abuse alligations are BS.(He's getting more then me??? I got buggered too, gimme more!!!!)

Was that in the article? I'll go reread it.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Sorry Self, I should have specified, average $25,000 for the victims, but the process stops over disputes concerning lawyers compensation, when they split their $25-40 million, I'm sure it's a hell of a lot more than $25,000.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Whole things sickning. Its a lot like that show I watched last night. Kids have it rough enough just growing up let alone being abused, no wonder society is so screwy. Our most revered are perverts and abusers......

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Was that in the article? I'll go reread it.
No self, it's what I have seen as I have been following the whole issue.

It has intrigued me, because my Grandad, was a residential school survivor.

What I have witnessed and read, coming from who I call my people, sickens me.

In some and I might be inclined to say many, cases. It appears to be just trivial greed and gimme gimme gimme shyte fueling the agenda.

It leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth and more of that wrenching in my stomach, that I get when I see my people perpetuating the stereotype.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Im sorry to hear that but Im sure some of this must be true and for those people I hope they find Peace. That kind of abuse never goes away a person survives it but never does it fully heal.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Bear, do you know what the scope is limited to here? I mean is there like survivors benefite or something. The numbers look kinda wonky. It says that as many as 80,000 aboriginals attended these schools, then it says that the claim against the government is on the behalf of "more than 12,000". The portion of funds for abuse is worth $1.9 Billion, and pays out an average of $25,000. At that average, that would make the number of victims 76,000. I just find the article a little curious and vague.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
It's 1.9 Million split between roughly 12, 000 people. The rest of the 4-5 Billion is money to build memorials etc. It's all in the article.

As for Lawyer compensations, it's just normal for him to get his pay. 6 years in University plus about a 1 year to pass your liscence, you don't spend a few years on a case just to make a few pennies. Building a case of this size is at least an 80 hour work load in the first year, and then between 50-65 the remaining of the time until the case is solved.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's 1.9 Million split between roughly 12, 000 people. The rest of the 4-5 Billion is money to build memorials etc. It's all in the article.

Right, I get how much was alotted for the abuse portion. Notice it says "pays an average of $25,000". How many people would that be given that it comes from $1.9 Billion? Split "roughly" between 12,000 people isn't $25,000, it's about $158,000.