59 per cent of Quebecers say they're racist

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Fifty-nine per cent of Quebecers admit to being racist to some degree, according to a Léger Marketing survey published Monday in Le Journal de Montréal.

In comparison, only 47 per cent of those outside of Quebec say they are racist to some degree. One per cent of Quebecers surveyed said they were very racist, 15 per cent said moderately racist and 43 per cent responded that they were mildly racist.

The findings stunned Jean Dorion of the Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste.
"I do not perceive the Quebec society as being racist," he told Le Journal de Montréal.

The findings come from three surveys done in late December and early January. The first two surveys were conducted over the internet, with 2,228 Quebecers taking part, while the third survey interviewed 3,092 people across Canada.
The survey looked at Quebecers' views of a variety of cultural groups.

It found 36 per cent of Quebecers have a bad opinion of Jewish people, while 27 per cent have a poor opinion of blacks. Fifty per cent have a bad opinion of Muslims.

Jean-Marc Léger, president of Leger Marketing, said Quebecers are influenced by the images of Muslims seen after the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States.
"The Arab community carries the weight of September 11 and religious extremists," Léger told Le Journal de Montréal. "People were thinking of them when they answered the survey."

Bashir Hussein, who represents Quebec in the Council of Muslim Communities of Canada, said people are also shaped by the media coverage of violence in the Middle East.

"Whatever people read in the newspapers, they form their opinion from," he told CBC News.
Survey methods questioned

Jack Jedwab, a Montrealer who has done extensive statistical and demographic work, questions how the survey was structured, especially the sections asking Quebecers if they consider themselves racist.

Quebecers were asked if they consider themselves very racist, moderately racist, slightly racist or not racist at all.

Jedwab said in three out of four answers, respondents end up labelling themselves racist.

If Jedwab were writing the question, he would have made the ratio two questions out of four, asking people if they are very racist, somewhat racist, not racist or not at all racist.

Jedwab, who's the executive director of the Montreal-based Association of Canadian Studies, said it's dangerous to have a survey that shows such a high level of racism.

"It will lead people to say, 'Let's face it, everyone's racist,'" he told CBC News Online. "They'll think it's to be expected. That will minimize the resolve to combat this problem of racism that needs to be addressed."

The Quebec portion of the survey is considered to have a margin of error of 3.1 per cent, 19 times out of 20. The one done outside Quebec had a margin of error of 1.8 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/01/15/mtl-racism.html

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Fifty-nine per cent of Quebecers admit to being racist to some degree, according to a Léger Marketing survey published Monday in Le Journal de Montréal.

In comparison, only 47 per cent of those outside of Quebec say they are racist to some degree. One per cent of Quebecers surveyed said they were very racist, 15 per cent said moderately racist and 43 per cent responded that they were mildly racist.

The findings stunned Jean Dorion of the Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste.
"I do not perceive the Quebec society as being racist," he told Le Journal de Montréal.

The findings come from three surveys done in late December and early January. The first two surveys were conducted over the internet, with 2,228 Quebecers taking part, while the third survey interviewed 3,092 people across Canada.
The survey looked at Quebecers' views of a variety of cultural groups.

It found 36 per cent of Quebecers have a bad opinion of Jewish people, while 27 per cent have a poor opinion of blacks. Fifty per cent have a bad opinion of Muslims.

Jean-Marc Léger, president of Leger Marketing, said Quebecers are influenced by the images of Muslims seen after the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States.
"The Arab community carries the weight of September 11 and religious extremists," Léger told Le Journal de Montréal. "People were thinking of them when they answered the survey."

Bashir Hussein, who represents Quebec in the Council of Muslim Communities of Canada, said people are also shaped by the media coverage of violence in the Middle East.

"Whatever people read in the newspapers, they form their opinion from," he told CBC News.
Survey methods questioned

Jack Jedwab, a Montrealer who has done extensive statistical and demographic work, questions how the survey was structured, especially the sections asking Quebecers if they consider themselves racist.

Quebecers were asked if they consider themselves very racist, moderately racist, slightly racist or not racist at all.

Jedwab said in three out of four answers, respondents end up labelling themselves racist.

If Jedwab were writing the question, he would have made the ratio two questions out of four, asking people if they are very racist, somewhat racist, not racist or not at all racist.

Jedwab, who's the executive director of the Montreal-based Association of Canadian Studies, said it's dangerous to have a survey that shows such a high level of racism.

"It will lead people to say, 'Let's face it, everyone's racist,'" he told CBC News Online. "They'll think it's to be expected. That will minimize the resolve to combat this problem of racism that needs to be addressed."

The Quebec portion of the survey is considered to have a margin of error of 3.1 per cent, 19 times out of 20. The one done outside Quebec had a margin of error of 1.8 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/01/15/mtl-racism.html

That is not an honest version of the poll, here it is ..

39% of quebecois arent racist at all (which wasnt included in your link) why is that ?? explain that to me,only if you can.

16% are considered as moderate racist and very racist, when 43% of quebecois are slightly racist.

After all , we could say, 82% are slightly or not racist at all, which is not bad at all.

There was no question on blacks , jewish and muslim, i don't where they got this. also there is no result from the same question for the canadians?? Explain this to me.

Can we see the result of the poll conducted on canadians?? why don't they show it?

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That is not an honest version of the poll, here it is ..

39% of quebecois arent racist at all (which wasnt included in your link) why is that ?? explain that to me,only if you can.

16% are considered as moderate racist and very racist, when 43% of quebecois are slightly racist.

After all , we could say, 82% are slightly or not racist at all, which is not bad at all.

There was no question on blacks , jewish and muslim, i don't where they got this. also there is no result from the same question for the canadians?? Explain this to me.

Can we see the result of the poll conducted on canadians?? why don't they show it?
Again with the childish big letters. :roll:
According to your post 16% are moderately and highly racist, and 43% are slightly racist. That adds up to 59% admit having some racism in them. If someone is a little bit racist, they are still racist. Your logic, Logic7, is lacking logic.

BTW, there is no question about Jews or Muslims because they are not racial matters, they are concerned with religions matters. Racism is about races.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I think probably 60 or 70percent of the people ive met are racist in some way or other, usually only in a very minor way... probably i am too....

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
Impossible. We are all the same race. I can't hate you unless I hate myself.

Now what you may mean is that I may hate the genetic characteristics of OUR race that makes them cosmetically different than myself. Now your making sense.

AndyF

PsyOp

Electoral Member
Jan 24, 2007
That's a sad thing but god decided we aren't the same race. But i'm agree that anybody of any race can reach the same level of the best. I'm also agree that this should not be said publicly.

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
That's a sad thing but god decided we aren't the same race. But i'm agree that anybody of any race can reach the same level of the best. I'm also agree that this should not be said publicly.

That's 100% wrong, all humans are the same race, and that is genetically a fact. So the 59% of Quebecers that are blowiing off steam are doing it for nothing. In other words it's redundant and a non issue.

AndyF

MagnoliaApples

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2006
That's 100% wrong, all humans are the same race, and that is genetically a fact. So the 59% of Quebecers that are blowiing off steam are doing it for nothing. In other words it's redundant and a non issue.

AndyF

I believe that we are not all the same race but we definitely are the same species because biologically, we are definitely the same. But race is something that is defined by more than just physical characteristics. It also has alot to do with culture, geography, history, language, religion.

I don't think that there is anything wrong in seeing ourselves as different. I am not being negative when i say that i see myself as someone who is different from an african woman or a chinese woman.
For me to tell a chinese or african woman that we are the same, i feel that in some way, i would be taking something away from her identity and individuality. A race his greatly formed by it's history and culture which is sprung from common characteristics and beliefs from within that race. I think that to say that we are all the same race erases the most important parts of that what makes us individuals.

To say that we are different does not always indicate an unacceptance of people of different races but rather an appreciation and celebration of our differences. I love the fact that we are different. I love the fact that although we are the same species, we can share a variety of different experiences to eachother eg- food, language, dress, philosophy, history etc, etc.

I don't think we should try to strip away our differences but rather say that we are different and that's what makes us a spectacular species.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Racism is a belief system or doctrine which states that inherent biological differences between human races determine cultural or individual right or achievement — with a corollary that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others
On occasion, individualism has been denounced as a form of racism. In 2006, Seattle Public Schools posted a definition of racism on its website, stating that favoring individualism over collectivism and having a "future time orientation" were examples of racism because they favored "white culture" over viewpoints indigenous to other groups. After much criticism, they removed these statements from their site.[6]
The above is from and with permission wikki

Id really like to see what what the definition of racist was that the poll used --The purpose of the poll was ???--We are shown through media (again ) who happens to be the wrong crowd ,(think for yourselves ) research the good the bad the ugly --lol --this poll needs interpretation its purpose again was ??

gee this sounds totally different than 59 % are racists
"Among Quebec's, most (43 per cent) said they were only mildly racist, while 15 per cent said they were moderately racist and only one per cent responded that they were very racist."

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
There was no definition whatsoever of the term "racism" in the poll.

The poll was nothing more then a sensationalist stunt by the Journal de Montreal; a "fast-food" newspaper. If there's one thing that newspaper is good at it's making news out of nothing and bull**** polls like this one.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
OMG, this must have been posted while I was on "vacation", lol.

Here's what I have to say about ITN's post...

No surprise there!!!

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
I don't think that there is anything wrong in seeing ourselves as different.

Neither do I. However I have seen many minority "races" use the race issue to their advantage especially when in my stay in the US for two years, and I have seen majority races take extra effort in favor of them because of it. They cue in on the race issue when it shouldn't be a factor and of course everyone avoids being potentially labeled a racist.

For instance when one of two people are a minority and in a competition and there is a tie, there is a good chance the recognition of minority adds a few points in his favor.

AndyF

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I don't know about racism. But me as an Anglaphone (no very little French), I was treated very rudely while travelling in Quebec last year.

Left a sour taste in my month. They are not friendly people.. lol.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Only fifty-nine percent admit to being racist....?

A huge swack of Quebecers must have been cooling it in the sunny south...