Gun Control is Completely Useless.


Colpy
Conservative
#91
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB View Post

Isn't that model 870 the short barrel type in stainless steel?

If it's the shotgun I'm thinking of...that's a great little canon!

It is.....the magazine is actually about 1/8 of an inch longer than the barrel! Rem. 870s of any description are wonderful guns......

I don't think handgun magazines are restricted weapons......unless they have a capacity of over 10 rounds, in which case they are prohibited weapons........

Want to talk about "it doesn't make sense.......it is gov't policy" consider the Beretta 92 series. Say you own a Model 92 with 10 round magazines..........say you also own a CX Storm..........which is a semi-auto centre-fire rifle that takes the same magazines........take the 10 rd mag out of your 92, it has no restriction. Put it in the rifle, the magazine magically becomes a prohibited weapon, the simple possesssion of which can get you 10 years in the Iron Bar Palace.

These people have serious issues.

Especially, as an IPSC shooter, you know how long it takes to change mags in a semi-auto pistol. What, two or three seconds from the last round fired in an exhausted mag to the first fired from a fresh mag? So how does a 10 rd restriction help? I don't know.
 
MikeyDB
#92
If it took three seconds you'd have to be attempting to do it while standing on your hands.... Think more in the area of half-a second....

Yes I was talking abut the old mags...my P-9 had a 17 rnd mag and since only the rounds after number ten are potentially lethal and our government cut capacity back to ten....

I have five ten round mags at matches and although years of practice and training allow a mag change pretty quickly, the average criminal using a firearm who's good enough to stick to the ten round limit should be given a lighter sentence don't you think??? (Sarcasm...)
 
MikeyDB
#93
Check out....Rob Shepherd draws ...

www.m4040.com/ShootingSports/ShootingLinks.htm
 
AndyF
#94
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB View Post


For the vast majority of “first-timers” one or two holes on the page (roughly 30”X30”) was usual and often you’d hear… “I shot that paper I KNOW I HIT IT!”… “THERE MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE GUN I USED…”

Mikey:

Just try a US issue .45. Effective range 50 ft, but just loved the feel of it and it carried some punch too.

But eventually I scored a 300 on the range, so I got good.

SP4 63-66 US 30Th ret'd

Good post!

A defenseless society without guns is one where it is totally dependant on an institution of people with guns to protect it, ........you figure. ????????????????????????

AndyF
 
MikeyDB
#95
AndyF

Good shooting!

I opt for a nine millimeter...less recoil than a .45, and zone "A" hits in IPSC score the same whether you're shooting major or minor power factor.. Nines are minor but you can get a .40 S&W into major power factor...but it's tough on slides and recoil spring guide rods...

Every tried IPSC or PPC shooting?

Good fun so long as you're not too feaked out by loud noises.....
 
hermanntrude
#96
i was just thinking to myself... who needs to protect their house with a gun?

what's worse, losing some of your possessions or shooting someone dead?
 
MikeyDB
#97
I agree with the general notion that one hardly need protect ones home with a gun but we live in times that are changing..at least in Canada. In the U.S. "home defense" and "personal defense" can be cited for ownership of many diferent kinds of weapons and if you lived anywhere near where there's been riots (Los Angeles, Pitsburgh...well there's a number... Looters will avoid a house that has a recently retired wannabe looter left on the front porch until the cops arrive... Same goes for rural communities when the closest police detachment can be some distance away. Rural communities and farms have become the target of urban nasties recently. It's not the idea that somone is stealing something...I'm beyond caring about "things"...but if you have a family to protect do you really think you can rely on the response time of the local authorities?
 
hermanntrude
#98
if i have a family to protect, i'll make sure they're in a place where the chances of them being raped and murdered by a random rioter are slim. Like canada
 
MikeyDB
#99
I hear ya...

There have been a number of home-invasions lately and particular emphasis seems to be placed on the elderly...not sure a gun would help in that situation...difficult to say.

No as I mentioned earlier, we are much safer in Canada than many Americans are in America and with the numbers of small-arms available to Americans...it only makes sense that more bad-guys..or gals...have armed themselves...

As they say, "A rising tide raises all boats" so if you have the right to bear arms enshrined in your constitution you don't have to look too far to find nastiness like Ruby Ridge or Waco or .....
 
Colpy
Conservative
#100
Don't misunderstand me, my guns are are legally locked up.

And you are right, the chances of being raped or murdered are reasonably slim, although certainly not outside the realm of possibility. I knew two people who became murder victims, although one was involved in serious criminal activity at the time.

Two points:

1. If someone starts kicking down your front door, you have no idea whether he has murder or robbery on his mind. If you are armed, too bad for him......if not?

2. One should avoid surrender to evil. If you are secure in your house, or your person, and you are attacked, you should, if able, resist. Surrender is encouragement. Not a popular philosophy in today's society. I think of Winston Churchill's "Never surrender. Never. Never. Never"
We were wiser when that was our attitude.

Google Gary Kleck.

Guns are used in the United States for defense a million times a year. The kicker is, in well over 90% of those cases, no shots are fired. The mere display of the weapon is enough to deter the evil-doer.

Criminals are predators, and seek out the easiest prey. Best to be a wolf, not a sheep.
 
hermanntrude
#101
your first point is interesting. you have a matrix; columns: intruder means serious harm/death, intruder does not mean harm, rows: you shoot him, you dont shoot him. In the first column you have a bad result or a really bad result. in the second column you have an awful result or a good result. In my opinion the second column is better to be in.

I'll make a diagram of this table if i didnt explain it properly
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#102
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB View Post

If it took three seconds you'd have to be attempting to do it while standing on your hands.... Think more in the area of half-a second....

Yes I was talking abut the old mags...my P-9 had a 17 rnd mag and since only the rounds after number ten are potentially lethal and our government cut capacity back to ten....

I have five ten round mags at matches and although years of practice and training allow a mag change pretty quickly, the average criminal using a firearm who's good enough to stick to the ten round limit should be given a lighter sentence don't you think??? (Sarcasm...)

rofl
 
MikeyDB
#103
Colpy

By the time I assembled my firearm, unlocked the ammo box etc. they'd have the livingroom!
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#104
Quote: Originally Posted by AndyF View Post

Mikey:

Just try a US issue .45. Effective range 50 ft, but just loved the feel of it and it carried some punch too.

But eventually I scored a 300 on the range, so I got good.

AndyF

I kinda like my desert eagle although after a while it feels like it weighs 50 pounds. Then it's a switch to the .22 Wish I hadn't sold my Browning 9 mil
 
MikeyDB
#105
Do that matrix for me would you Herm...
 
MikeyDB
#106
If you've got a Desert Eagle in .50 you've more money than good sense (IMHO..

Five rounds of .50 will start to make you keenly aware of your joints and muscles while ten rounds of 9 won't bother you much at all...

They sure look spiffy but I personally don't think they're all that practical...
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#107
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

i was just thinking to myself... who needs to protect their house with a gun?

what's worse, losing some of your possessions or shooting someone dead?

In the past few years around here, people have experienced home invasions ................. by bears. You wanna try getting a bear outta your kitchen with a baseball bat or a chef's knife?
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#108
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

if i have a family to protect, i'll make sure they're in a place where the chances of them being raped and murdered by a random rioter are slim. Like canada

Notice what rank Canada has in the list? http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...pes-per-capita
 
MikeyDB
#109
I recently read an article on anti-personnel ammunition in 9 mm that was the only round that had a chance of stopping a bear...if you were good enough to hit a bears head at thirty feet....

I'd prefer using my Winchester Model 94 in .30.30....

Found it's dead nuts on at two hundred yards and can regularly produce 1.5 inch groups at that range.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#110
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB View Post

I hear ya...

There have been a number of home-invasions lately and particular emphasis seems to be placed on the elderly...not sure a gun would help in that situation...difficult to say.

No as I mentioned earlier, we are much safer in Canada than many Americans are in America and with the numbers of small-arms available to Americans...it only makes sense that more bad-guys..or gals...have armed themselves...

As they say, "A rising tide raises all boats" so if you have the right to bear arms enshrined in your constitution you don't have to look too far to find nastiness like Ruby Ridge or Waco or .....

Yeah, fortunately for us bushapes, all the gangstas like to hang in cities. Course, if they do find theor way out here, there's all kinds of messes we can get them into.
 
MikeyDB
#111
L. Gilbert

That's a sobering chart... thanks I think...
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#112
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Criminals are predators, and seek out the easiest prey. Best to be a wolf, not a sheep.

Most are pretty cowardly, too.
 
MikeyDB
#113
Can't begin to tell you how envious I am L. Gilbert

I'd love to live far far away from everyone...a lighthouse on the mood kind of thing...
Last edited by MikeyDB; Jan 12th, 2007 at 01:14 PM..Reason: spelled moon mood
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#114
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB View Post

Colpy

By the time I assembled my firearm, unlocked the ammo box etc. they'd have the livingroom!

That was my point a few posts ago.
 
hermanntrude
#115
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#116
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB View Post

If you've got a Desert Eagle in .50 you've more money than good sense (IMHO..

Five rounds of .50 will start to make you keenly aware of your joints and muscles while ten rounds of 9 won't bother you much at all...

They sure look spiffy but I personally don't think they're all that practical...

Yeah, it is a pretty thing. I got it cuz it's fun. I can fell trees with it. Saves on fuel for the chainsaw. lol Actually I don't mind the recoil as much as the weight (as I mentioned previously). (I'm a 6 footer weighing about 260 with about 40 lbs of blubber so the recoil isn't as noticeable. I use 12 Ga's single handed).
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#117
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB View Post

I recently read an article on anti-personnel ammunition in 9 mm that was the only round that had a chance of stopping a bear...if you were good enough to hit a bears head at thirty feet....

I'd prefer using my Winchester Model 94 in .30.30....

Found it's dead nuts on at two hundred yards and can regularly produce 1.5 inch groups at that range.

I have one of those, pre-WW2, nice little carbine. My Win. M-70 or Lee-Enfield is better at accuracy though.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#118
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB View Post

L. Gilbert

That's a sobering chart... thanks I think...

Yeah. I found "nationmaster" about the most comprehensive and reliable thing out there for stats info. The "CIA factbook" isn't too back for some things.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#119
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB View Post

I recently read an article on anti-personnel ammunition in 9 mm that was the only round that had a chance of stopping a bear...if you were good enough to hit a bears head at thirty feet....

I'd prefer using my Winchester Model 94 in .30.30....

Found it's dead nuts on at two hundred yards and can regularly produce 1.5 inch groups at that range.

At short range I'd prefer the Eagle as my Ithaca has a 32" bbl. Hard to swing it in the kitchen sometimes.
 
hermanntrude
#120
there is a proviso at the end. I honestly couldnt estimate the pertinence of it here but the position of canada in the list is surprising. perhaps this is why:

DEFINITION: Total recorded rapes . Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime , than actual prevalence. Per capita figures expressed per 1,000 population .