Gun Control is Completely Useless.


bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
#9901
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

another useless and worthless history lesson from bluebyrd.

gun powder was invented as an ilixer of eternal life. many many years later, gun powder was used for fireworks. the first rifle wasnt a weapon, the quality of gun powder wasn't good enough to be a weapon. the first 'rifle' was a device for protecting the life of the fireworks operator.

And you think my history is useless because the first actual gun was invented and used ro kill humans? Using the first guns to kill an animal would not leave much to eat now would it?
 
JamesBondo
#9902
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

I will point out ]again[ ]that a gun is meant to maim or kill.

Quote:

What? No. Of course not. Here's a few guns I have that we're not at all designed to kill anything:
Flare gun: I suppose you could start a fire with one that in turn burned someone to death, but not at all what it was designed for. Signaling distress? Perfect for that.
Nail Gun (Powder Actuated): This thing fires steel nails into concrete with the help of a .27 caliber propellant charge. Very useful for anchoring mud sills to a foundation. Yeah, you could probably kill someone with it at point blank, but then again you could also do that with a hammer and that's not what either are designed for.
Nerf Gun: There are many like it but this one is mine. To kill with it I would have to shoot the foam dart into someone's mouth and they would in turn have to choke on it. Not very effective for killing, but loads of fun for running around indoors with the kids on a rainy day.
Tranquilizer Gun: Ok, I don't actually own one, but sometimes I really wish I did when the kids get a little too out of hand…
Tazer/Stun Gun: Will shock the living shit out of you but hopefully doesn't kill you. If it does, that's a mistake, it wasn't designed to do that.
Now, in the spirit of what your asking, the vast majority of firearms are designed to indeed kill people and/or animals. Yes, there are those that are purposefully designed to excel at competitive shooting sports/events. However, the origins of those competitions were training for hunting or combat so technically the gun is just adapted to give an edge in competition but still based on a tool who's primary intent is to kill. You could probably bring a similar argument for BB guns, paintball guns, and Nerf guns. While not themselves designed to kill they are a training mechanism for marksmanship and combat. You certainly can't kill with those but in the spirit of the question they are somewhat adjacent in origin

yes. this.
 
JamesBondo
+1
#9903
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

And you think my history is useless because the first actual gun was invented and used ro kill humans? Using the first guns to kill an animal would not leave much to eat now would it?

well. the 30-06 was originally invented for the us military, yet hunters have realized that it is almost the perfect deer gun. we've used it that way for almost a hundred years, no one ever said ' hey maybe we should use the atl atl spear because the 30-06 is designed to kill people' why? because that sort of logic is worthless, Bluebyrd.
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
#9904
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

LOL So when will the banning of swimming pools going to arise. You do realize before the invention of the gun primitve humans hunted and the animals actually had a chance of surviving. There are many ways of hunting that did not involve a gun. As I have pointed out, there is at least of sporting chance of living through a knife attack and one can perhaps outrun one's attacker. One cannot outrun a bullet.
And yes my husband & I bought a dairy farm which was at the time a very poor proposition so I went back to work. I worked days at the hospital and helped with the milking and during the summer bringing in crops. Things improved in farming. I raised chickens, pigs for eggs and meat, I sold the farm about 10 yeras after the death of my husband. I still have a couple of acres of land and the farmhouse plus a lovely bank account That is a very very small thumbnail sketch
There are a few tales of facing down hunters but why bother now, The law has changed somewhat since those days.


Are any of those methods of hunting as humane as a gun and bullet?
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
#9905
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

And you think my history is useless because the first actual gun was invented and used ro kill humans? Using the first guns to kill an animal would not leave much to eat now would it?

Maybe more animals would be left alive with the efficiency of a firearm versus______? A buffalo jump?
 
Hoid
#9906
care to guess how many Buffalo were killed by gun from trains?
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
#9907
Care to guess how many buffalo limped away from a jump only to die a couple days later?
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
#9908
Care to guess how much buffalo meat was wasted with too many killed from herding them over the jump?
 
Hoid
#9909
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Care to guess how much buffalo meat was wasted with too many killed from herding them over the jump?

as opposed to being shot from a moving train a left to rot?
 
JamesBondo
+1
#9910
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Maybe more animals would be left alive with the efficiency of a firearm versus______? A buffalo jump?

head smashed in bufalo jump? it is a museum but originally designed to kill. how dare you go there.
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
#9911
Yeah it wasn't cool of the RR to put bounties and hire buffalo killers, but at least they didn't brag about only taking what they need to survive, and use it as their base in their slogan "keepers of the land"
 
JamesBondo
+1
#9912
i used to hunt with an auger but it ruined alot 9f the meat.

then I switched to a baseball bat, but realized that it is really a caveman club (designed to kill)

now I hunt with 30-06, it is more humane.
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
#9913
You made spew beer through my nose you bastage ROFLMAO
 
JamesBondo
+1
#9914
bluebyrd, it is illegal to own a firearm in Canada for the purposes of killing or maiming humans. my firearms are legal. get over it.
 
JamesBondo
+1
#9915
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

as opposed to being shot from a moving train a left to rot?

these days, if you can afford the cost of renting a train, i think you should be allowed to shoot bufalo from it.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+1
#9916
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

Ever seen a fairly young man who got caught in an auger!??? one leg chewed to the knee, one hand chewed to near the wrist and the other foot gone near tto the ankle before he managed to break free. or a 3 year old who fell into a bonfire (he did;t survive) Or the body of a young women who's father took her on a motorbike without a helmet. Her brain deformed her face when it swelled out her nose!!

The worst part was not so much the victims but those who are struck by such terrible grief that broke the heart as the aftermath.

So forgive me if I get more than a little disgusted by those who know nothing of the damage done by simple carelessness or at those who talk about weapons and war with such glibness.

Yes the young man in question came to work still drunk from the night before , at lunch he partook in smoking marijuana. When said young man fell into the auger , notice the guards had been removed , his partner who coincidentally had also partook in smoking marijuana ran out of the ice house screaming , rendering no help to his fallen comrade . He ran screaming by three stop buttons without hitting one of them . A tragedy , but what has that to do with gun control ?
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+1
#9917
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

I have only used my rifle to feed my family, it has never been used to kill or maim a human. Nor has it been used to threaten or intimidate a human.

I guess my uses for a rifle are 'off label'. Same with farmers, and police officers.

When I had a riffle many years ago , it was never considered a weapon .
 
JamesBondo
+1
#9918
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

When I had a riffle many years ago , it was never considered a weapon .

clearly, you are canadian
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
#9919
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

When I had a riffle many years ago , it was never considered a weapon .


Yep, tactical Knifes are considered weapons. What would have Rambo done without his
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
#9920
Bows, crossbows are weapons that are extremely deadly as well in the right hands
 
bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
#9921
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Yes the young man in question came to work still drunk from the night before , at lunch he partook in smoking marijuana. When said young man fell into the auger , notice the guards had been removed , his partner who coincidentally had also partook in smoking marijuana ran out of the ice house screaming , rendering no help to his fallen comrade . He ran screaming by three stop buttons without hitting one of them . A tragedy , but what has that to do with gun control ?

So....... Mine survived and with prothesis got to raise his 5 small children. The difference between yours and mine is, I saw the results. Were you with first responders or the Police. It focuses the mind somewhat on what can happen!! It does make it clear that children should not be around dangerous things. Certainly wouldn't recomend anyone under the age of 18 to take that job!! After all young boys, especially have not got enough brain maturity to foresee the consequences of rash or quick actions. (Mostly due to testoserone) So why take the chance.
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
#9922
I started operating the tractor at 10 years old, shoveling grain into semi guarded augers, mix mills, Dad stressed safety and pointed out hazards I still have 10 fingers and 10 toes, oh by the way he was my firearm safety trainer along with a few of my buddies fathers. It's all in the upbringing, education and respect of handling dangerous situations and weapons, the same things I try to install into my 3 kids, my 2 daughters love hunting my boy loves hunting and trapping why do you want to take this away from them?
 
JamesBondo
+1
#9923
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

I started operating the tractor at 10 years old, shoveling grain into semi guarded augers, mix mills, Dad stressed safety and pointed out hazards I still have 10 fingers and 10 toes, oh by the way he was my firearm safety trainer along with a few of my buddies fathers. It's all in the upbringing, education and respect of handling dangerous situations and weapons, the same things I try to install into my 3 kids, my 2 daughters love hunting my boy loves hunting and trapping why do you want to take this away from them?

Yes, this!
 
JamesBondo
+1
#9924
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

It does make it clear that children should not be around dangerous things.

Children are always around dangerous things. You need to be a better mother and watch out for them instead of looking to the government to solve your problems.
 
bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
#9925
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

I started operating the tractor at 10 years old, shoveling grain into semi guarded augers, mix mills, Dad stressed safety and pointed out hazards I still have 10 fingers and 10 toes, oh by the way he was my firearm safety trainer along with a few of my buddies fathers. It's all in the upbringing, education and respect of handling dangerous situations and weapons, the same things I try to install into my 3 kids, my 2 daughters love hunting my boy loves hunting and trapping why do you want to take this away from them?

And I have seen many without all their digits. I have seen youngster lose more than their limbs by removing the safety guards. The power take-offs on many tractors removed not just limbs but lives. Not just children. I had one young man throw his father;s arm on the floor beside me while saying on the fly that the ambulance would arrive momentarily with the rest of him. He was working with an auger too.

Your business if you feel children should learn the hard way. Here on this farm all safety shields were always in place!

As far as hunting and guns are concerned ........I am in accord (for the ?20 or 30th time) with Canada's gun laws and understand there will always be those who abject to whatever restraints put on the use of firearms are concerned. Please let me know why you object to protecting children from getting injured, mained or killed by removing safety shields on dangerousl machinery or from accidentally injuring themselves or others with a firearm. It is like a red flag to some.

Is it an assault on one"s massculinity or is it a secret wish to be rid of a pesky child or two?
 
bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
#9926
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

Children are always around dangerous things. You need to be a better mother and watch out for them instead of looking to the government to solve your problems.

Sorry James but in my world children are children and we protected them from deadly machinery and kept the shields in place. I am not aware of any laws against removing them. But then farm machinery, carpentry or even washing machines were not invented specifically to kill were they?

To even suggest one should allow anyone to handle a firearm without taking into account the age, mental status or capability is a stupid But then there are many careless and stupid people around. If one wants a reasonably sane and sensible world one does need laws. That is what civilization means
 
bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
#9927
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

When I had a riffle many years ago , it was never considered a weapon .

Yes and I am sure the cavemen after discovering fire, never considered a hunk of wood a weapon either.......so what does that prove! That mankind will always settle disputes with force?.........because that way leads to destruction of the human race doesn't it?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
#9928
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

So....... Mine survived and with prothesis got to raise his 5 small children. The difference between yours and mine is, I saw the results. Were you with first responders or the Police. It focuses the mind somewhat on what can happen!! It does make it clear that children should not be around dangerous things. Certainly wouldn't recomend anyone under the age of 18 to take that job!! After all young boys, especially have not got enough brain maturity to foresee the consequences of rash or quick actions. (Mostly due to testoserone) So why take the chance.


Go to your library and check out the book "Three Against the Wilderness" by Eric Collier. It will demonstrate to you what a young boy as young as five is capable of doing. The past two generations have lost a lot of that and it's sad because about 80% of a person's USEFUL potential is gone now due to things like Smart Phones and Video Games. It's sad when you think that about 50% of a kid's time is wasted in useless inane conversations with someone just as uneducated and dysfunctional as they are!
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
#9929
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

And I have seen many without all their digits. I have seen youngster lose more than their limbs by removing the safety guards. The power take-offs on many tractors removed not just limbs but lives. Not just children. I had one young man throw his father;s arm on the floor beside me while saying on the fly that the ambulance would arrive momentarily with the rest of him. He was working with an auger too.
Your business if you feel children should learn the hard way. Here on this farm all safety shields were always in place!
As far as hunting and guns are concerned ........I am in accord (for the ?20 or 30th time) with Canada's gun laws and understand there will always be those who abject to whatever restraints put on the use of firearms are concerned. Please let me know why you object to protecting children from getting injured, mained or killed by removing safety shields on dangerousl machinery or from accidentally injuring themselves or others with a firearm. It is like a red flag to some.
Is it an assault on one"s massculinity or is it a secret wish to be rid of a pesky child or two?

You got me confused? Somehow you figured I was taking guards off and not following the safest practice for the task at hand and equated my limbs and that of my whole family's limbs all intact as something haphazard on the way we do things. This discussion is going nowhere with you so I'm tapping out
 
JamesBondo
+1
#9930
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

Sorry James but in my world children are children and we protected them from deadly machinery and kept the shields in place. I am not aware of any laws against removing them. But then farm machinery, carpentry or even washing machines were not invented specifically to kill were they?
To even suggest one should allow anyone to handle a firearm without taking into account the age, mental status or capability is a stupid But then there are many careless and stupid people around. If one wants a reasonably sane and sensible world one does need laws. That is what civilization means

This is too funny.

You have backed off and stated that you support good parenting and no government bans. And you are smug enough to think that you can convince us that this has always been your stance.

Do you realize that you have affectively retreated to the status quo? You can hardly sit there a demand change then retreat to the status quo, it undermines everything you have said.

Thanks for showing up, bluebyrd. LOL