Help for motorola v551...

Blueberry
I just bought the Motorola v551 and well...the manual really sucks. I haven't had a new phone for like 4 years, so I'm really out of touch with new phone technologies.

For example, the store people set the DTMF to "Long". What is DTMF and what does it mean when it's set to Long? I know what DTMF stands for but the definitions I got online didn't make much sense to me.

Also, along the top of my screen, there are a row of mini-icons. There's one that I can't seem to figure out what it is. It's sitting next to the signal strength indicator. It's a "E" on top of ",,", one "," is green and the other is red. I have no idea what it means.

And the smart key...can I turn it off? I don't mean just to hide it, I want to turn it off.

So if anyone knows of a good place I can go to for help, I'd appreciate it if you let me know. Or if anyone has the answers to my quesitons above, I'd appreciate that too!!

Thanks!!

kalok
don't remember what does DTMF means

The E on the corner, it's EDGE. That's mean high speed wireless internet. The icon will stay there pratically all the time.

smart key, not sure, but you try to go to security and lock application.

kalok~

carissa
The power of Google says:
Quote:

Acronym for Dual Tone, Multi-Frequency. See Tone Dial.
www.levitonvoicedata.com/learning/glossary.asp

Hrm found this:
Quote:

Your phone transmits tones to communicate with automated systems like Voice Mail or bank by phone. For most systems you should use the default setting of short tones. If you choose long tones, the phone will transmit tones for as long as you hold the key.