Quebec City or Montreal?

Which would you recommend to a budget-challenged college girl?

• Quebec City

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Montreal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Montreal is a good place to party, Quebec is very historical. I love Montreal but Quebec gets my vote. Quebec city is very European, and it's a world heritage site. Old Quebec is awsome, cobble stone roads, horse and carriage. But it's expensive if you dont plan right.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I would recommend Montreal in all aspects. Quebec City is very beautiful, but if you're budget challenged and you like to party, you can both afford to live in party in Montreal on very little.

Montreal gets my vote.

cub1c

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2005
Québec, Montréal
RE: Quebec City or Montre

Québec city is great! Rants prices lower than Montréal and you'll learn French in 2 months. But they don't benefit from the Metro like Montréal does. You can live everywhere in the suburban areas in Montréal a get to destination with buses, metro and trains, advantageous for studens without car. Students have cheap prices.

Reivilo

May 20, 2005
Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec
Euhh.. perso je vais toujours à Montréal, normal j'habite à 30 minutes de Montréal, mais Québec est beaucoup plus beau, c'est pareil, du moins presque, comme la ville de Paris et les gens sont beaucoup moins «sauvages»! Mais c'est vrai que c'est très dispendieux à Québec alors si l'argent n'est pas ton truc, va à Montréal!

EternalSunshine

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2004
Montreal
Montreal, definitely. Quebec City is beautiful to visit, probably to live in as well, but for young people and on a budget, Montreal would be better solution.

QuébecLibre

Jun 7, 2005
Re: RE: Quebec City or Montreal?

jamie said:
Merci beaucoup. Gardez venir d'avis. (I hope that's right).

Merci beaucoup is right...
But: Gardez venir d'avis.. means nothing..
what did u want to tell?

Vitamin C

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2005
Ontario

QuébecLibre said:
jamie said:
Merci beaucoup. Gardez venir d'avis. (I hope that's right).

Merci beaucoup is right...
But: Gardez venir d'avis.. means nothing..
what did u want to tell?

If you translate it literally to english it sort of makes sense. I think he/she meant "Keep your opinions coming".......but I don't think you use the verb "garder" the same way in french as we use "to keep" in english....I'm not an expert on french though.....

peut-etre "continue avec tes avis" est mieux

aussi peut-etre vos avis est mieux....en anglais on utilise "you" comme "on" pour les choses qui sont pluriel.

And we would say...."What did you want to say?", not "What did you want to tell?". English is bizarre like that, really they both mean the same thing, but we would never use tell like that. We only use "to tell" when you are going to say something to someone. Like Tell me, tell him, he told her....etc....

but you can use "to say" anytime....I think....like I said, he said, I meant to say, I want to say, I said to him.....etc.......

It's hard in the same way it is hard for us to learn the difference between savoir and connaitre....in fact thats a great example....

edited for my bad spelling in english and french...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My wife and I were in both cities last year. I would have to pick Montreal for just about everything. Good restaurants, food markets, entertainment, etc. Everyone should visit Quebec but if your time is limited, save most of your time for Montreal.

Shiva

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Toronto

Vitamin C said:
And we would say...."What did you want to say?", not "What did you want to tell?". English is bizarre like that, really they both mean the same thing, but we would never use tell like that. We only use "to tell" when you are going to say something to someone. Like Tell me, tell him, he told her....etc....

but you can use "to say" anytime....I think....like I said, he said, I meant to say, I want to say, I said to him.....etc.......

The difference between the verbs, "to say", and "to tell" relate to whether they take an object.

So, in this usage, "to say", is intransitive, that is, it does not need to take an object. The phrase, "What did you want to say", does not have an object (there is no one you're saying something to).

Whereas with, "to tell", the verb is transitive, and must always have an affected object. So you could say the verb is really, "to tell X", where X is any pronoun/person. To tell him/her/me/you, etc., etc., etc. There is always an object (some person) affected by the telling.

Vitamin C

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2005
Ontario
In french there is only one verb which exists that is used as the translation for "to tell" and "to say", and that is the verb, "Dire". So it is very difficult for francophone people who learn english to know when to use "say", or "tell", since they are the same in french.

In french there are two verbs, savoir and connaitre, which can both be translated to english as the verb "to know". It is similarily difficult for people like me, who are learning french, to know when to use "savoir" or when to use "connaitre".

Example:
connait-tu cette chanson?
do you know that song?

sais-tu si il va pleuvoir?
do you know if its going to rain?

Connaitre is used when you use know and a proper name. And also when you use know in the sense of "know of" something...

Savoir is used when you are talking about knowledge of a fact.

It's very hard to use the correct one, and I can't do it in mid-conversation.