Telus Mobility Review

Jaguar4u

May 14, 2004
Toronto
www.theguvernment.com
Excellent Review!

Only correction I would like to offer is:

1 - Perks, such as discount movie tickets and car rentals, are for all clients with or without contracts.

2 - If you would like to get extra features for free for the term of a contract, you can chose from feature bundles or $50 on a one year, $100 on a two year, or $150 on a three year contract. These being offered in combination with the free local calling bonuses.

Christian Bauer

Apr 8, 2004
Jaguar4u said:
Excellent Review!

Only correction I would like to offer is:

1 - Perks, such as discount movie tickets and car rentals, are for all clients with or without contracts.

I updated that bit before I goto work this morning. The other suggestion was vaguely mentioned in the article, but no real numbers are being mentioned because, as I am aware for the most part, plans differ throughout the country in different markets.

Thank you for your suggestion Jaguar4u.
(The review in this thread is not updated, only the original article is updated at Canadian Content Technology/Mobile)

fuzzy

May 25, 2004
Smithers, BC
I love Telus. I love it I love it I love it! I like the way you give it a sweet rating :D As you can see I am a big fan of the monkeys.

ryanguthormsen

Aug 21, 2004
Hello, I'm a sales rep for an Independant Dealer of Telus Mobility(The Phone Masters). To clear up two mistakes on the letter, Telus will not match any plan the competitor has to offer, and Caller Display is never added into the plan. It is an additional fee of $5 per month. Thank you for listening, and have a good day.

Jaguar4u

May 14, 2004
Toronto
www.theguvernment.com
New >>> UPDATE :)

Fido is still available at fido.ca

Rogers has acquired Fido and will continue to offer the Fido brand. Fido operates on the GSM network.
Fido customers will continue to enjoy per second billing, really good rate plans and will have the option to gain access to all the GSM towers combined (Fido and Rogers). Additional air time, roaming, and long distance are billed at very low rates :)

Telus digital operates on the CDMA network. Telus uses its own towers as well as all Bell CDMA towers, giving Telus clients the largest digital coverage in Canada.
All Telus handsets use CDMA. Really old Telus handsets used Rogers analog towers when the digital signal was absent. Since 2000 all Telus handsets use all analog towers when needed, but with their extensive digital coverage, it is rarely needed.
Telus has more rate plans to chose from than any other carrier. They offer match-it plans so they can match plans from other carriers. Telus has the lowest cost plans and can offer per second billing, matching Fido's low cost additional air time, roaming, and long distance rates.

Telus also offers the "MIKE" brand digital network that has a very powerful signal that works very well in buildings and elevators.

Summary for best coverage and rate plans:

Fido if you need a world phone.
Telus if you only use the phone in North America.

justmoe

Dec 26, 2004
Wow! I have been using cell phones almost since they came out. There are a few things mentioned in these reviews that are fairly accurate, but as a whole most of what this person had to say was greatly uninformed. I was with clearnet and left when telus bought it. I have been with rogers, I have been with telus now i am with fido. Of all the good things mentioned about telus only 1 thing is true, and that is their connection is better.

Telus for all things (cellular,adsl,landlines) has the worst customer service in the market and that is only if you can get through. 30 minute wait times have happened. They are a money hungry monopoly hell bent on destroying the competition or enslaving it! Sounds a little crazed but its true. most of their competitors are using telus cellular towers as part of a lease. Telus lied to all of its customers about the purchase of fido and offered free phones to jump ship. actually fido found out that telus was planning to scrap fido after their purchase so they went to lower bid of rogers. rogers needed a cellular company to make the younger crowd happier.

All the cell phone plans recently added to telus were stolen from fido. fido has the best plans and the best phones. rogers is an ok average provider. bell is just a carbon copy of telus licking there heals for better coverage. telus has great coverage but has sacraficed phones for it as nobody is using that system any more. when g3 and better comes here telus will be on the losing end of that as they have inferior phones and there coverage will at that point suck.

at this moment fido is the only cellular company that sells the best phones and has the best deals, and with almost zero wait time the best customer service. when cityfido comes to the rest of canada and rogers upgrades fidos coverage it will be officially the best cellular company in canada.

p.s. they are already seen that way outside of north america as they are the alternate partner to european providers.

my suggestion to the reviewer is to spend a little more time learning the industry before you shoot your mouth off about things you have almost no knowledge about. you really are just embarrasing yourself.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
No matter how good telus supposedly gets I will never use them. They ripped us off here in BC for years when they had a monopoly. I will never forget how much rates came down when competition came in. And that is the only reason rates came down. Plus they wanted Fido before Rogers got them, so they could eliminate competition and jack up the rates, as Fido's plans are too generous. The CEO of Telus said that, when they were going after microcell(fido).

I think it is hilarious Bell outbid them for the 2010 Olympics.ha ha

bocaj

Feb 22, 2005
Paranoid Dot Calm said:
Hi! JustMoe

Yuh know, I don't own a phone.
I know nothing about them at all.

I just wanted to tell you that you have great writing skills.
Whatever your argument was .... you surely wrote a fine read.

Calm

tell me you're kidding about liking what Moe had to say?
I'm hoping you were sarcastic in your comment of "great writing skills"

I mean look what Moe said "licking there heals", are you serious?
How can anyone be credible if THEIR basic command of the English language isn't even at best, decent.

Moe, by the way, tell me why Telus is the #1 cellular carrier in North America for the past little while, if they have such horrible customer service?
They're incredibly fast, and friendly.
Good luck with whoever you're with.

Just so you know, in your post, "licking there heals", should have been spelled, licking THEIR HEELS.

Take care all.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
i think Justmoe is referring to out in the WEST where TELUS are being bastards cause of the monopoly they have on landline, internet and to some extent wireless service. To be fair his comments echo many ex-clients of TELUS who have undergone horrible ordeals trying to get any service. This occurs whenever there is a monopoly and is not exclusive to just TELUS. Whenever a corporation hasa monopoly, there is a lack of customer service on their part (as well as a lack of hindsight) because customers have no other option.

However when there is competition, TELUS is considered the best wireless provider hands-down for over 3 years.
Bell arent too bad, though the last 6 months have been brutal for them because of the collapse they encountered in their computerized billing systems (customers were being charge hundreds of dollars for calls they never made)

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
i think Justmoe is referring to out in the WEST where TELUS are being bastards cause of the monopoly they have on landline, internet and to some extent wireless service. To be fair his comments echo many ex-clients of TELUS who have undergone horrible ordeals trying to get any service. This occurs whenever there is a monopoly and is not exclusive to just TELUS. Whenever a corporation hasa monopoly, there is a lack of customer service on their part (as well as a lack of hindsight) because customers have no other option.

However when there is competition, TELUS is considered the best wireless provider hands-down for over 3 years.
Bell arent too bad, though the last 6 months have been brutal for them because of the collapse they encountered in their computerized billing systems (customers were being charge hundreds of dollars for calls they never made)

and bocaj, it mite just be my naivity but i believe Paranoid Dot Calm was being sarcastic

souhyanoe

Mar 9, 2005
hey i know people buy cell phones in china/japan and bring them back to canada and just take the sim card out of their fido/rogers phone and put it in the other phone. is there a way for telus users to also buy foreign phones and use them here?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Telus Mobility Review

souhyanoe said:
hey i know people buy cell phones in china/japan and bring them back to canada and just take the sim card out of their fido/rogers phone and put it in the other phone. is there a way for telus users to also buy foreign phones and use them here?

I doubt it. Telus and Bell are both stuck in the past using North American-only technologies. The rest of the world, Fido and Rogers are all on GSM networks with the exception of some US networks which followed the same path as Bell and Telus.

Lark

Mar 11, 2005
I absolutely abhor Telus Mobility now. I can only assess them based on my own experience with them - product and customer service were both lacking. I bought an LG3200 on Aug 2004. In less than a month it conked out. Because it was still within the 30-day purchase warranty period, the retailer replaced it with a phone of the same model. Phone number conked out in a little over a month. It was sent in for repair as it was past the 30-day purchase warranty. A little over a month again, I started having problems with phone #2 once more. It's now back in the retailer's hands for repair.

In my very frustrating correspondence and conversations with Telus, I finally pointed out that although it is reasonable to expect brand new products to break down, for one product to breakdown a couple of times already (three times if you count the first phone) in less than 6 months is terribly terribly wrong. Telus should be replacing that phone with a new phone. Instead, what Telus wants is to replace it with a refurbished phone. I do not think that is fair. If I pay full price for a product, I have a right to expect that that product is in good condition.

Customer service isn’t good as well. The last customer service rep I talked with started with a “So you want a free phone.” No, I do not want a free phone. I want a phone that works to replace the defective phone you sold me. He said I cannot say that a phone has defects. He said only the manufacturer knows if a phone has defects. And I said, you mean if you bring in a phone that is not working, it is not defective? If the retailer repairs the phone then it means something was wrong with the phone. The customer service rep then went on to say that if a phone is repaired then it has no defects.

The second option Telus was offering me was to switch to a monthly plan and they will give me a discount on a new phone. I told them in the end, my problem is not with my plan, it’s with the phone.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
actually CDMA accounts for a majority of cell fone use in america not GSM and if u have a MiKE Telus service u can by fones from america and if they are unlocked u can use them. A buddy of mine recently purchased a motorola i860 which is not available in Canada from the states and is using it with his mike plan and it works fine.

P.S South Korea and Japan both originally had CDMA networks and when they moved on into 3G the system they chose a system was based on the same principles as CDMA, which is cheaper to implement, easier to upgrade(Sprint already has 1X EV-DO and Bell rolling out this spring) and a superior choie for call quality, less dropped calls and more addons.

moth

May 5, 2005
You can keep Telus and as soon as my contract is over I will be long gone. Way overrated.

I regret the day I left fido - I paniced when Rogers bought them, I avoid Rogers like the plague - however it seems Rogers are doing right by fido and their customers..

Telus customer service and greed are quite renowned, they show no mercy with their customers either - if want to be treated like a second class number (you aint nothing but a source of dirty cash to these guys) then go Telus.

If you want to be able to txt message internationally then Telus is a no go - period. If you want to use your cell phone for international calls - Telus will make you wait 6 months at least until they are satisfied with your contract and payments - never had that with fido. Fido was all services go from the start, I could txt and voice call ANY carrier around the world without a single problem with fido - receive text responses too - can't receive at all with Telus - LOL

I can't wait for my contract to end with them - I keep a pay as you go fido phone for any international calls/texts I may have to make - sad, when a company that has me tied to a contact can't provide a decent service.

Don't go Telus - you will eventually regret it!

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
If you want to be able to txt message internationally then Telus is a no go - period. If you want to use your cell phone for international calls - Telus will make you wait 6 months at least until they are satisfied with your contract and payments - never had that with fido.

Telus does offer TXT messaging internationally to many countries worldwide representing over 400 million subscribers. attached is the URL. In terms of the 6 month waiting time, ROGERS does the same at least in toronto where i live i had to wait 6 months before i could internationally roam/make long distance calls.

in terms of the ROGERS takeover, they screwd up royally with fido. They made all the add-ons expensive, obliterated cityfido and made it craptacular. there is only 1 thing rogers did that was good, out of the infinitely worse thigns they did to fido, they allowed fido customers to roam off rogers network for extra $5 a month which is amazing considering fido's horrible reception anywhere outside toronto. Most of my friends who have fido like the rateplans and service but absolutely hate the reception.

if u wanted to go back to fido that ship has sailed. the only benefit rite now thanks to roger's bastardization of fido is the per-second billing, otherwise just as expensive as going with other providers in terms of rate plans/price/service. I would suggest ROGERS as a better option for GSM, they have good coverage and their call center staff have done me no wrong. then again i mite be the only one