BC Snap Election : Oct. 24-2020

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not much notice. So, which Party is in favor or Jobs and Pipelines out there? I'm assuming it's not the Greens, but maybe the NDP if they had three more seats (?) or is it someone else?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is it Jason Kenney & UPC that’s messed up Alberta’s economy (?) in less than a term in office (?) or are there some outside influences to factor in? I thought this thread was about British Columbia, but perhaps a couple of Federal Bills are having an influence on Alberta’s financial situation, along with America becoming oil independent for the most part While Alberta is not being able to get their resources to other markets due to a transportation volume issue of some kind perhaps, & Saudi Arabia in a pissing match with Russia influencing pricing, & a global pandemic I seem to have heard about recently?
Anyway, BC...Election...short notice...etc....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Not much notice. So, which Party is in favor or Jobs and Pipelines out there? I'm assuming it's not the Greens, but maybe the NDP if they had three more seats (?) or is it someone else?
BC Liberals. The dippers actively campaigned against both pipelines and LNG and Site C generating station in the last election.
They also promised to cure homelessness and ODs. Both of which have dramatically increased since the NDP takeover. They did promise to hire 7000 more health care workers to deal with the Covid tracking.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I am shocked Kenney has any support. To make the UCP more appealing to Alberta, it is rumored that the party is renaming itself "MAGA North."
This way there will be no confusion in regards to their true intentions: destroying Alberta.
So you favour the NDPee that had imported anti oil/logging activists on the government payroll? You really need to move to Ontario for health reasons.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Not really what is needed at this point - but Horgan is making a political decision and probably the right one for the NDP.

They really need to solidify their power and based on performance they are going to do that. Nobody can deny this has been good and productive government for the province - and following the latest shambles the BC Liberals put us all in it was no small feat.

Our education and healthcare systems are still watering on collapse and a return to perpetual labour strife is unthinkable.

On the other hand maybe the BC Liberals should get another shot at paying off all public debt with massive natural gas development!

That was right on the verge of working

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I am shocked Kenney has any support. To make the UCP more appealing to Alberta, it is rumored that the party is renaming itself "MAGA North."
This way there will be no confusion in regards to their true intentions: destroying Alberta.
I'm shocked you are that naive. Actually no I'm not because I have read your posts. If anyone can save Alberta from Canada it is Kenny. The two of you that don't like it should move to OntariOWE with the rest of the freeloaders.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Not really what is needed at this point - but Horgan is making a political decision and probably the right one for the NDP.
They really need to solidify their power and based on performance they are going to do that. Nobody can deny this has been good and productive government for the province - and following the latest shambles the BC Liberals put us all in it was no small feat.
Our education and healthcare systems are still watering on collapse and a return to perpetual labour strife is unthinkable.
On the other hand maybe the BC Liberals should get another shot at paying off all public debt with massive natural gas development!
That was right on the verge of working
Probably correct. Horgan has an ego problem that may very well cost him his cushy pay cheque. He really doesn't have much good to take credit for. Homeless population and ODs are both up dramatically even though Horgan promised to cure both prior to losing the last election. Still no peace with the major government unions even though they basically own the NDP. Forest industry is still being hammered by foreign financed protesters despite the Steelworkers union spending $700000 to get an NDP government. 16nnew or improved taxes and still managed to blow a surplus he inherited 3 short years ago.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am very happy about the election Ron and am voting NDP for the first time in my life. Hell I was a card carrying Reform Party member. The reality is that the Liberals haven't a hope in hell of getting a majority, the Conservatives are all but nonexistent and most of all I want the climate alarmist party and their new leader to be relegated to the back benches again. No more power sharing with them. I want a majority government and the only way to get that is by voting NDP so I will hold my nose and do it.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I am very happy about the election Ron and am voting NDP for the first time in my life. Hell I was a card carrying Reform Party member. The reality is that the Liberals haven't a hope in hell of getting a majority, the Conservatives are all but nonexistent and most of all I want the climate alarmist party and their new leader to be relegated to the back benches again. No more power sharing with them. I want a majority government and the only way to get that is by voting NDP so I will hold my nose and do it.
Good luck with that , but it is your vote .

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
News is a lot more than passing along a politician’s sound bite

In the Wild West of lore, news arrived by messenger on horseback. In the wild frontier of the 21st century, the horseback deliverers are gone, but the idea of news as mere messages lives on.

Every journalist keeps a constantly updated list of overused words and phrases. My submission in honour of World News Day 2020 is “messages” in all its various forms, and particularly the oft-asked media question: “what is your message?”

On many occasions, this is a question justifiably intended to get to the point, to get the interviewee to stop beating around the bush.

But my concern is how this whole news-as-message concept is feeding public cynicism — not just in the message, but in the medium too.

If we are only looking for messages, we may be missing the news, and if this year’s global pandemic has taught us anything, it is that we need news more than we have in a long time.

Messages are what we are sent; news helps us figure out what to do with that information.

“Wear a mask” is a message. “Masks have been found to stop the spread of COVID-19” is news. “People aren’t wearing masks enough to contain the virus” is bad news.

Messages don’t always contain all the facts we need; real news does. Messages sometimes gloss over the difficult details; news in its best form does not. Donald Trump and others have been trying to persuade citizens they can’t trust the news, but what’s certainly less trustworthy is “messaging” we see on the public stage.

It was Sonia Furstenau, the newly elected leader of the British Columbia Green Party, who first made me aware of how the scourge of “messaging” had infiltrated political conversation. She was speaking in late 2018 at a B.C. rally for democratic reform, and I was sent the video clip of her remarks because she made some references to political marketing.

Furstenau talked about how a fellow politician had recently complimented her on her “messaging” and she recoiled at the word.
“I’m sorry, it’s not messaging. It’s what I actually, truly believe,” Furstenau said.

Her point is that a “message” from a politician is not the same as a belief, a conviction or even a proper answer. Messages are what you get after you put your beliefs into a tidy package for public consumption; like an advertising slogan or a branding logo.

Once you hear a politician like Furstenau make this distinction, you can’t unhear it. Suddenly you realize how often we are using “messaging” as a synonym for actual, real answers from our political types. And you wonder whether you are helping seal the impression that all political dialogue is simply an empty, message-trading bazaar.

I am sure I’m guilty of it; I even caught myself asking a cabinet minister just the other day about messaging in a time of COVID. But I have been trying to correct myself when tempted to ask politicians about their messages, because it feels now like waving the white flag to the message-management industry. Too often the tell-me-your-message questions boil down to: “I know I’m never going to get a real answer from you, so let me ask you instead what you’ve packaged for me to take away from this conversation.”

News-gatherers, admittedly, can be exasperating to the purveyors of messages. Former prime minister Stephen Harper declared early in his tenure that he intended to bypass the media as much as possible and that he would look for other ways to “get the message out.” That declaration revealed a fundamental misunderstanding of journalism’s purpose. It’s not there just to “get out” messages, but to sort through the flood of them for information the public needs.

Politicians don’t really need the news to get their messages out, but they do need people to believe in the news, especially during a public-health crisis — when knowing what’s actually happening in your community or your country has real-life consequences. No one trying to decide whether to send their kids to school or how to preserve their livelihood in a pandemic is going to be satisfied with a mere message. They need news they can trust.

Loading...Loading...Loading...Loading...Loading...

If we were still living in the age of messengers on horseback, we would be in the midst of a stampede. Everyone has tools now to transmit messages, on social media, on the streets, or on their phones. The answer to that ubiquitous question — what is your message? — is everywhere.

News is exactly what’s needed to punch through that galloping rampage of “messaging.” News is what happens when we get off the message track.

www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2020/09/27/news-is-a-lot-more-than-passing-along-a-politicians-sound-bite.html