Home Depot botched reno

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/home-renovation-toronto-accessible-tub-1.5240510

Some poor soul is on the hook for $27K for a bathroom reno through Home Depot.

I have seen this so many times.

If you want to buy stuff at Home Depot go right ahead. The Big Box savings are hard to resist. But ffs don't let them install it. You have no idea who you are getting and neither do they. And rather than making sure they will stand behind the job it makes sure they can't really be held responsible because they hire "contractors" who are supposed to have their own insurance etc etc. it is a something that insulates Home Depot from liability.

Although the article does not get into it this reno was to install a handicapped access type bathroom for someone hurt in an accident, and I am pretty sure there is a tax deduction or grant that anything like that is eligible for, and so it is also on the taxpayer.

Home Depot is months into considering what they will do here, meanwhile if it didn't become a story they would do nothing.

One more example of capitalism saving the world

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Just so you know. Home Depot isn't the cheapest. True they have some loss leaders and some cheap products but quite often Windsor and Home Hardware have better prices on lumber and better quality. Windsor for example won't even stock the low quality 2x4s that Home Depot peddles. They also do not do warranty work on any tools they sell.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
not true. A rigid shop vac is warrantied for life. If is breaks they simply give you another one.

likewise their power tools and batteries

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/home-renovation-toronto-accessible-tub-1.5240510
Some poor soul is on the hook for $27K for a bathroom reno through Home Depot.
I have seen this so many times.
If you want to buy stuff at Home Depot go right ahead. The Big Box savings are hard to resist. But ffs don't let them install it. You have no idea who you are getting and neither do they. And rather than making sure they will stand behind the job it makes sure they can't really be held responsible because they hire "contractors" who are supposed to have their own insurance etc etc. it is a something that insulates Home Depot from liability.
Although the article does not get into it this reno was to install a handicapped access type bathroom for someone hurt in an accident, and I am pretty sure there is a tax deduction or grant that anything like that is eligible for, and so it is also on the taxpayer.
Home Depot is months into considering what they will do here, meanwhile if it didn't become a story they would do nothing.
One more example of capitalism saving the world
Home Depot renos are done by fairly random subcontractors. They claim to vet them but with the wage and salary scales paid by Home Depot,they can't afford well trained, quality professionals to properly vet the subbies.

Home Depot is merely a referral service that grabs a piece of the action on the way by.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
No they don't. Read the sales receipt. I tried it with Husky tools.
I said rigid tools, not Husky.

It applies to shop vacs because ive done it, and It applies to all their new cordless/batteries.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Home Depot renos are done by fairly random subcontractors. They claim to vet them but with the wage and salary scales paid by Home Depot,they can't afford well trained, quality professionals to properly vet the subbies.

Home Depot is merely a referral service that grabs a piece of the action on the way by.
If someone is working for home Depot chances are they are not good enough to work on their own

Do not trust something like a $27K reno to someone you don't know.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If someone is working for home Depot chances are they are not good enough to work on their own
Do not trust something like a $27K reno to someone you don't know.
They don't even work for Home Depot. They just get a referral from Home Depot, who collects the money and dispurses some to the subcontractor.

"Hit and Run Construction, Inc."

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I shudder to think who Home Depot would have showing up as a contractor in Mississauga.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Home Depot subs out work. Get references and ask for photos of work done. A good contractor will have a portfolio and wont hesitate showing off quality.