USA's Unfinished Wars

Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
The U.S. Is Close to a Peace Deal With the Taliban, Officials Say

https://time.com/5648002/us-taliban-...etter-politics

Hoid
+1 / -1
it was an especially ill-conceived war.

It was a tragic mistake for Canada to take part in it.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

it was an especially ill-conceived war.

It was a tragic mistake for Canada to take part in it.

Really ?

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
USA's Unfinished Wars

1812-1814 .... Objectives not yet met ...

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

USA's Unfinished Wars
1812-1814 .... Objectives not yet met ...

In what way? Canada is basically the perfect client state. It's the Labrador Retriever of allies!

The overall assessment of the War of 1812 has to be "That went better than expected."

Objectives:

1. Getting Britain to acknowledge us as an independent player not to be messed with. Done.

2. Taking over Canada. Done even better than we thought. You do what you're told and don't give us any trouble. And don't cost us anything.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

In what way? Canada is basically the perfect client state. It's the Labrador Retriever of allies!
The overall assessment of the War of 1812 has to be "That went better than expected."
Objectives:
1. Getting Britain to acknowledge us as an independent player not to be messed with. Done.
2. Taking over Canada. Done even better than we thought. You do what you're told and don't give us any trouble. And don't cost us anything.

Ever had one of those? They'll chew everything you own to pieces, as loveable as they are.

QAbones
No Party Affiliation
Second gulf war half Iraq did not dare ha.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

Objectives:

Strangely, one of the objectives, or at least one that was stated in your 19th century re-writes of the history of the war of 1812 was stopping the impressment of American sailors. It was so insignificant that there isn't a single mention if it in the Treaty of Ghent. I guess that it was a later propaganda means of turning naked American aggression into some sort of "victimization of the poor old USA".

Tecumsehsbones

Strangely, one of the objectives, or at least one that was stated in your 19th century re-writes of the history of the war of 1812 was stopping the impressment of American sailors. It was so insignificant that there isn't a single mention if it in the Treaty of Ghent. I guess that it was a later propaganda means of turning naked American aggression into some sort of "victimization of the poor old USA".

Of course. Every country's stated (or re-written later) rationale for going to war is BS.

U.S. Civil War? To put down a rebellion. Excuse: free the slaves.

WWI? Decide who was going to get the biggest piece of industrialization and trade. Excuse: defend "small countries."

WWII? Them Germans is messing with our cash flow! Excuse: Save the Jews!

1950-1990? Dick-measuring with the USSR. Excuse: keep the world safe for democracy.

Middle East? Uppity ragheads and oil. Excuse: Terrism!

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Revolution? An elite wants to take political control of the colonies! Excuse: Taxes!

Tecumsehsbones

Revolution? An elite wants to take political control of the colonies! Excuse: Taxes!

Yep. Our guys didn't have any problem with the system, they just didn't like who was in charge. Figured things'd be better with them in charge.

Worth noting that all the kerfuffle leading up to the Revolution (1770-1776) was about wanting to be full British subjects, with representation in Parliament. Didn't get to thinking about independence until it was made crystal-clear that wasn't happening.

That's why any comparisons between the American Revolution and the Civil War or Brexit or those ABexit imbeciles is complete garbage. They had and have what the American colonists wanted.

QAbones
No Party Affiliation
+1
T bones

Jews were the victims of death in a great sense like Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

Yep. Our guys didn't have any problem with the system, they just didn't like who was in charge. Figured things'd be better with them in charge.
Worth noting that all the kerfuffle leading up to the Revolution (1770-1776) was about wanting to be full British subjects, with representation in Parliament. Didn't get to thinking about independence until it was made crystal-clear that wasn't happening.
That's why any comparisons between the American Revolution and the Civil War or Brexit or those ABexit imbeciles is complete garbage. They had and have what the American colonists wanted.

The American colonists were already the freest people on Earth before the revolt.

The Star Spangled Freedom Eagle shyte came much later after the Art Department got hold of it.

EagleSmack

Of course. Every country's stated (or re-written later) rationale for going to war is BS.

U.S. Civil War? To put down a rebellion. Excuse: free the slaves.

Well... that was stupid.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Well... that was stupid.

Why am I not surprised that you disapprove of freeing the slaves?

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

...or even the after-the-fact propaganda about slavery when nobody, Lincoln included gave a shyte about slavery in 1860.

Re-write ... re-write ... re-write ...

We re-write the part about Canadians burning down Washington. There wasn't a single Canadian soldier in Washington that day ... probably lots of RN Tars on the naval vessels tho seeing as they were based in Halifax. However, the Canadian legend doesn't cover that part.

EagleSmack

Looks like you doubled down on your stupid post!

I can see why you did though. You certainly know how idiotic your post was. Right?

EagleSmack

...or even the after-the-fact propaganda about slavery when nobody, Lincoln included gave a shyte about slavery in 1860.

Well I expect you to be a dumb ass.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

Well I expect you to be a dumb ass.

You'tprexo clever, Comrade.

Give us your usual Tru Gutz comic book version of history.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Looks like you doubled down on your stupid post!
I can see why you did though. You certainly know how idiotic your post was. Right?

I know why you think it is. You actually swallowed the horseshit they shoveled down you at Nathan Hale Elementary School, and never wised up.

Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker

nah......a waste of keystrokes and just a distraction.

**********aboout unfinished wars.....

How about "war " on drugs??

and other issues they use the term war with..

EagleSmack
+1

I know why you think it is. You actually swallowed the horseshit they shoveled down you at Nathan Hale Elementary School, and never wised up.

And you still can't address your uneducated post so you continue to act like an azz.

But enlighten me, what do you think I believe?

I haven't even addressed this asinine portion (below) of your post.

WWII? Them Germans is messing with our cash flow! Excuse: Save the Jews!

Last edited by EagleSmack; Aug 15th, 2019 at 06:48 AM..

EagleSmack
+1

The abolition movement prior to the US Civil War is now comic book history? The conflict regarding the spread of slavery into the U.S Territories is comic book history? People like Frederick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, and John Brown were comic book characters?

I need to teach you about Canadian history and you were foolish enough to challenge me on this?

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

The abolition movement prior to the US Civil War is now comic book history? The conflict regarding the spread of slavery into the U.S Territories is comic book history? People like Frederick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, and John Brown were comic book characters?
I need to teach you about Canadian history and you were foolish enough to challenge me on this?

Nobody gave a hoot in Hades about slavery before the war. It started on points of States Rights. The "great anti slavery" thing was an existing movement that was tapped for various reasons, one of which was to fill up the Union Army with Black recruits .... which was done most successfully.

You wouldn't have learned any of that growing up on a troll farm in Mother Russia.

EagleSmack
+1

Nobody gave a hoot in Hades about slavery before the war.

So you're ignoring the U.S Abolitionist movement.

Quote:

It started on points of States Rights.

Hey that is just what the Confederacy said! You sound just like a good ol' boy! You and the slave holders would have been on the same page.

States Rights and the "Lost Cause" was a post Civil War talking point of the South to justify the rebellion. To a point you are unintentionally correct... the Civil War was over the rights of states to own slaves and bring their slaves into the western territories.

Quote:

The "great anti slavery" thing was an existing movement that was tapped for various reasons, one of which was to fill up the Union Army with Black recruits .... which was done most successfully.

Ignoring and marginalizing great abolitionist and the pre Civil War Abolitionist Movement is exactly what Southern revisionists preached.

Quote:

You wouldn't have learned any of that growing up on a troll farm in Mother Russia.

For a Russian I am sure teaching you.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1

So you're ignoring the U.S Abolitionist movement.
Hey that is just what the Confederacy said! You sound just like a good ol' boy! You and the slave holders would have been on the same page.
States Rights and the "Lost Cause" was a post Civil War talking point of the South to justify the rebellion. To a point you are unintentionally correct... the Civil War was over the rights of states to own slaves and bring their slaves into the western territories.
Ignoring and marginalizing great abolitionist and the pre Civil War Abolitionist Movement is exactly what Southern revisionists preached.
For a Russian I am sure teaching you.

You're injecting that later sunshine-and-lollipops abolitionism into what started as a separatist movement. The Union didn't start the war to end slavery in the South. The Union didn't start the war at all.

... speaking of USA's unfinished wars ... The US is still just as divided along more-or-less the same lines and are heading towards splitting in half for more-or-less the same reasons.

EagleSmack
+1

You're injecting that later sunshine-and-lollipops abolitionism into what started as a separatist movement. The Union didn't start the war to end slavery in the South. The Union didn't start the war at all.

Once again you are marginalizing the pre Civil War abolitionist and the Abolition Movement. The Southern Separatist movement was in response to the right to own slaves and the right of slave owners to bring slaves into the western territories. You probably didn't take the time to learn about the bloody conflicts in Kansas between pro-slave and abolitionists, or the beating of Republican Sen. Charles Sumner on the floor of the senate by a Democrat Senator from the south over the issue of slavery.

Of course the Union didn't start the war. The Confederacy did for the right to own slaves.

The Confederate Constitution was almost word for word the same as the US Constitution except on the issue of slavery.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

Once again you are marginalizing the pre Civil War abolitionist and the Abolition Movement. The Southern Separatist movement was in response to the right to own slaves and the right of slave owners to bring slaves into the western territories. You probably didn't take the time to learn about the bloody conflicts in Kansas between pro-slave and abolitionists, or the beating of Republican Sen. Charles Sumner on the floor of the senate by a Democrat Senator from the south over the issue of slavery.
Of course the Union didn't start the war. The Confederacy did for the right to own slaves.
The Confederate Constitution was almost word for word the same as the US Constitution except on the issue of slavery.

You learned all that in Russia or do you Goggle that stuff from time to time?

EagleSmack

You learned all that in Russia or do you Goggle that stuff from time to time?

I can see that you're a little overwhelmed.

However if you are more comfortable with post Civil War Southern Revisionism you are certainly welcome to it.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

I can see that you're a little overwhelmed.
However if you are more comfortable with post Civil War Southern Revisionism you are certainly welcome to it.

Rent Free