Something Completely Different

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

States agree that they will give all of their electoral votes to the Presidential candidate who receives the highest number of popular votes nationwide. So far fifteen states, totalling 196 electoral votes, have agreed to the Compact.

Should be interesting.

The Electoral College has 538 members, so 270 electoral votes are needed to win. The Compact will only come into effect if and when the signatory states total 270 or more electoral votes, so 74 more are needed.

Of interest is the fact that 88 electoral votes worth of states have legislation pending.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No, boggled as the great republic sinks into oligarchy.
Under the same rules that made it the great republic in the first place.

Here's the key: the U.S. was formed as a union of sovereign states, united for loose control of external trade and defense. Kinda like the EU.

It has morphed into something completely different, but that's what the rules were written for.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Unfortunately, the ones that are poised to push you off the pedestal are a race-based police state containing 1/4 of the planet's population.
Nothing lasts forever. But I imagine we'll both be beyond the power of any government by the time it comes to pass. Nubia. Egypt. Greece. Rome. Spain. Britain. The U.S.

For that matter, China went from mighty empire to groveling at the feet of the Western powers for a while.

Better hope they're gentler when it's their turn.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Nothing lasts forever. But I imagine we'll both be beyond the power of any government by the time it comes to pass. Nubia. Egypt. Greece. Rome. Spain. Britain. The U.S.
For that matter, China went from mighty empire to groveling at the feet of the Western powers for a while.
Better hope they're gentler when it's their turn.
I somehow doubt it.

They may find out that Causcasians make lousy slaves, though.