Proposed sentences for Sidhu.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Keith Dunford

2 years less a day + 3-year driving ban after release

Dunford, an off-duty professional truck driver, struck and killed a flag person, Ashley Richards, in August 2012 while driving his SUV through a construction zone in southeastern Saskatchewan. He ignored eight construction-related signs stretched over 13 kilometres that warned him to slow down and beware of highway workers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having been indirectly involved with this situation for many years, I believe dangerous situations can be over signed at times. When we were erecting signs we were cautioned about placing signs too far in advance of the situation after driving a kilometer or so and seeing nothing tend to decrease their vigilance. Sometimes workers are bad too at leaving their signs up while driving off somewhere for lunch. Placing three signs 1/2 km. in advance of the project is probably as effective as you can get. They should still be on the drivers' minds.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I agree, but Flag persons take a lot of unwarranted abuse, and are in harms way too often. My daughter after finishing High school last summer took a flagging job, in her first year she was screamed at, threatened and almost run over by a thief running away from a farm being chased by the home owner, too close for comfort, but she wants to go back this year tough girl.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I agree, but Flag persons take a lot of unwarranted abuse, and are in harms way too often. My daughter after finishing High school last summer took a flagging job, in her first year she was screamed at, threatened and almost run over by a thief running away from a farm being chased by the home owner, too close for comfort, but she wants to go back this year tough girl.

I think your daughter will be just fine as long as she regards the signs for what they are and remember SHE has to take responsibility for her own safetynd be vigilant every second.

Wise

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Maybe signs that say exactly where the people are would be better. Otherwise, you are left guessing where the people might be. It is like saying "don't hit people and slow down at this exact location".