Budget 2019 will create 'lifelong learning' accounts: sources

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lifelong-learning-accounts-budget-1.5056828

This is decades overdue.

Now the question is how to make it sustainable in the long run. The government should slash all unnecessary spending to redirect some of it towards this. As good an idea as this is though, it still doesn't excuse increasing government debt.

"How do we help Canadians to take time off?

Really?

That's what this government is concerned about? Not a stalling economy. Or getting a pipeline built. Restoring investor confidence in Canada takes a back seat to us getting more time off? Not a myriad of other concerns facing the government. Nope - it's leisure time folks.

Bet I handle my 'time off' much better than these guys can put a budget together - and oh,BTW remember that much lauded and repeated promise to 'balance the budget'? - not going to happen.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Really?
That's what this government is concerned about? Not a stalling economy. Or getting a pipeline built. Restoring investor confidence in Canada takes a back seat to us getting more time off? Not a myriad of other concerns facing the government. Nope - it's leisure time folks.
Bet I handle my 'time off' much better than these guys can put a budget together - and oh,BTW remember that much lauded and repeated promise to 'balance the budget'? - not going to happen.

You do bring up a good point. What's the point of education or training credits if a person has no time to take time off to use them. I still like the idea in principle. I just don't know how best to implement it. However it's done (if it's done), the government needs to figure out how to do it in a sustainable way. Our debt is skyrocketing.

I will elaborate here why I still like that idea in principle though. I oppose the minimum wage simoly because all it does is legislate unskilled workers out of work. In other words,it hurts the very people it's supposed to help. Raising a person's skills will naturally increase his ability to negotiate his wages upward simply because it will increase his productivity. In the end, that's the real sourse of a person's wages and I do think we need to help the poor, to give them a hand up, and this would give them a hand up. They couldn't easily use that money on drugs for example, since it would be locked into an education credit, which ensures that it's a hand up, not a hand out. However, again, we need to look at it in its larger context. How does the government intend to implement it, and how will it ensure that this is sustainable in the long run?

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Really?
Well killing the economy will certainly give us time off. Or get a government job.
$500nfor training certainly wont go far. I just renewed one of my tickets and that was $486 with another one to go this year.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well killing the economy will certainly give us time off. Or get a government job.
$500nfor training certainly wont go far. I just renewed one of my tickets and that was $486 with another one to go this year.
That’s just to print a new ticket , just think how much to qualify these days .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Most important question is how will all this be paid for? trudOWE already managed to turn a small surplus into a huge deficit with no end to spending in sight.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That’s just to print a new ticket , just think how much to qualify these days .
Not much different except I got to do it online in a couple of hrs instead of all day. Still had to show up to do the practical for which I had to take a couple of hrs off work.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Really?
Need extra cash to afford time off?

Snowflakes in Montreal sued because they got stuck on a highway by snowflakes,

Take a picture of yourself by your car next time it snows, alter the meta data and you too can get paid because you were too stupid to carry a winter emergency kit in your car during winter in Quebec.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/stranded-motorist-settlement-1.5055993

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It sounds like an RESP with no matching grant, except a $500 starter contribution.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
What small business owners want to see in the next federal budget

For nearly the entire 48 year history of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, small business owners have ranked lowering the total tax burden as their No. 1 priority. Many owners of small firms report their success, expansion, innovation and opportunity for job creation are restrained by the new and existing forms of taxes that many governments are introducing or raising.
This year, while there has been progress made in getting the promised (and then cancelled) federal small business corporate rate lowered to nine per cent, and seeing accelerated depreciation of many capital investments, the tax picture is decidedly negative. We need to remember that every Canadian’s take home pay dropped on January 1, 2019 due to a hike in Canada Pension Plan (CPP) premiums. Every Canadian employer saw his or her payroll budget shrink for the same reason. And this will happen again each January 1 for the next four to six years as a result of CPP expansion...…..more