First Nations say Alberta has no right to cut oil activity on their land

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Some First Nations in Alberta want an exemption from the provincial government's decision to mandate oil production cuts.

The First Nations say the provincial government has no right to dictate the level of oil and gas activity on their land. They believe the oil curtailment policy could have a negative financial impact.

Since the beginning of January, the Alberta government is forcing oil companies to restrict production in an effort to clear a backlog of oil and boost prices for Canadian crude, which sold for about $50 less per barrel than the American benchmark — West Texas Intermediate oil — during the fall.

As a result, oil prices in Western Canada have soared.

While the price boost is beneficial for First Nations who collect royalties from oil producing companies on their land, some leaders oppose the curtailment.

First Nations will "likely be impacted negatively by the curtailment of oil production," said Chief Roy Fox with the Blood Tribe in southwest Alberta during his motion challenging the policy at last month's annual general meeting for the Indian Resource Council (IRC). The IRC represents First Nations with oil and gas resources on their lands.

He also said the Alberta Energy Regulator and government "have no jurisdiction over First Nations lands and resources and that the decision regarding oil curtailment does not, and should not apply to them and their oil and gas operations."

The motion was unanimously supported, although fewer than 10 of the IRC's more than 100 members were present at the time. Neither Fox nor the IRC returned requests for an interview.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5015982

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Not even.
Someone should inform the 'less than 10 of the 100 chiefs' that they have absolutely no jurisdiction over oil production. Though I can understand that the cut-backs will affect their bottom lines, making erroneous comments about their rights serves only to show their utter lack of credibility.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
IDK on this one, Province is suppose to own/control resources, Feds suppose to own/control reserve lands according to treaties to the depth of the plow. Successful arguments were made for FN to also include mineral rights in reserve agreement due to the Homesteader act. So that means Natives and Feds. own the rights to resources on the reserves, Oil company owns the resource recovered with a financial contract, Province owns the right to control resources in the Province.

The Province put restrictions on Oil companies selling more than 10,000 barrels/day I believe, IMO Since the Energy company owns the recovered resource by signed contract with both Natives and Province neither one should be able to restrict or pressure the Energy company unless specified in contract or legislation, The Province introduced legislation on restricting sales that are over 10,000 barrels/day(again I believe) to not put financial stress on smaller Energy companies, how does this effect the Native oil production? I think this is just another stick that the Natives are trying to use to assert their rights over colonial Gov. authority.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
IDK on this one, Province is suppose to own/control resources, Feds suppose to own/control reserve lands according to treaties to the depth of the plow. Successful arguments were made for FN to also include mineral rights in reserve agreement due to the Homesteader act. So that means Natives and Feds. own the rights to resources on the reserves, Oil company owns the resource recovered with a financial contract, Province owns the right to control resources in the Province.

The Province put restrictions on Oil companies selling more than 10,000 barrels/day I believe, IMO Since the Energy company owns the recovered resource by signed contract with both Natives and Province neither one should be able to restrict or pressure the Energy company unless specified in contract or legislation, The Province introduced legislation on restricting sales that are over 10,000 barrels/day(again I believe) to not put financial stress on smaller Energy companies, how does this effect the Native oil production? I think this is just another stick that the Natives are trying to use to assert their rights over colonial Gov. authority.
Or yet another opportunity to stick their noses in where they don't belong in order to make headlines. IMO

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Someone should inform the 'less than 10 of the 100 chiefs' that they have absolutely no jurisdiction over oil production.

Someone else should inform all of the chiefs between Fort Mac and Burnaby who are considering the pipeline expansion/construction of the same thing.

It would nice for them to know prior to deciding whether they want it or not.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Big oil operates on a 'global level', Governments operate on a 'local level', who do you think calls the shots.
The US is the only one we ship to so every barrel we ship to them allows them to export a barrel at $50 more.
The US would not allow a price increase so that must be for local consumption which means you pay at the pump and utility bills for the revenue increase the Government and the Bands see.

3.3M bbl/day x 365 x $50 = $60,225,000,000 that we lose by nit selling in the global market. If we really were driving our own bus the wheels fell off a long time ago.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Someone else should inform all of the chiefs between Fort Mac and Burnaby who are considering the pipeline expansion/construction of the same thing.
It would nice for them to know prior to deciding whether they want it or not.
They already know they want pipelines.
The problem is that if native Wells are exempt we have yet another race based law to add to the stack. Pretty sure that is not allowed.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
They already know they want pipelines?

I think maybe you need to step away from the bong.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
They all signed agreements with TM so obviously they want pipelines. Or more correctly like everyone else that hasn't sold out to foreign interests they want the revenue. And the jobs. Which younwould as well if your parents cut off your allowance.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Yes well driving the Fraser Canyon yesterday what do I see snaking along the tracks hanging precariously over our major salmon bearing waterway ? Why about a five mile long rolling pipeline , and again another on the way back . Canadian Pacific and Canadian National sure love you anti pipeline people .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Squamish band who is building an LNG plant and terminal at Woodfibre oppose TMPL.

When NG drops $25M to the Sierra Club who pimps the Squamish tribe to oppose TMPL something is afoot.

That is known as "Industrial/Economic Espionage".

Do you support foreign industrial and economic espionage on Canadian soil or are you in the "rule of law" camp?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It taught me the Arrow was too big to be useful and a maintenance nightmare.

What did you learn?

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The Squamish band who is building an LNG plant and terminal at Woodfibre oppose TMPL.
When NG drops $25M to the Sierra Club who pimps the Squamish tribe to oppose TMPL something is afoot.
That is known as "Industrial/Economic Espionage".
Do you support foreign industrial and economic espionage on Canadian soil or are you in the "rule of law" camp?
Holiday is in favor of anything that will sink the economy so when he finally gets out of highschool he can go direct to welfare.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
They all signed agreements with TM so obviously they want pipelines. Or more correctly like everyone else that hasn't sold out to foreign interests they want the revenue. And the jobs. Which younwould as well if your parents cut off your allowance.
They all signed agreements.

You really are on crack