Police speak to Prince Philip for not wearing seat belt

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Norfolk Police say they have spoken to the Duke of Edinburgh after he was pictured driving without a seat belt, 48 hours after being involved in a crash near Sandringham in Norfolk.

A spokeswoman said "suitable words of advice have been given to the driver".

Meanwhile, Emma Fairweather, who broke her wrist in the crash, has told the Mirror https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-philips-crash-victim-reveals-13882041the duke has not apologised.

A Palace spokesman has said contact was made with the occupants of the car to exchange "well-wishes".

Police speak to Prince Philip for not wearing seat belt

BBC News
20 January 2019

Prince Philip driving the replacement Land Rover Freelander on Saturday

Norfolk Police say they have spoken to the Duke of Edinburgh after he was pictured driving without a seat belt, 48 hours after being involved in a crash near Sandringham in Norfolk.

A spokeswoman said "suitable words of advice have been given to the driver".

Meanwhile, Emma Fairweather, who broke her wrist in the crash, has told the Mirror the duke has not apologised.

A Palace spokesman has said contact was made with the occupants of the car to exchange "well-wishes".

The crash on the A149, in which Prince Philip's Land Rover Freelander landed on its side after a collision with a Kia, happened on Thursday.

Two days later, pictures in the Daily Mail and the Sun appeared to show the duke, 97, driving alone on a road near the entrance to the Sandringham estate in a replacement Freelander, without a seat belt.

A spokeswoman for the Norfolk Constabulary said the force was aware of the photographs and had spoken to the driver.

"This is in line with our standard response when being made aware of such images showing this type of offence," she said.

The force said earlier it was standard policy to breath test drivers involved in collisions and both had provided negative readings.

Damage to the Land Rover's left side could be seen after Thursday's crash

Prince Philip was photographed driving a replacement Land Rover on Saturday

Ms Fairweather, who was a passenger in the car being driven by her friend, told the Sunday Mirror: "I'm lucky to be alive and he hasn't even said sorry.

"It has been such a traumatic and painful time and I would have expected more of the Royal Family," she added.

She said she had not heard from the royal household but had got a call from a police family liaison officer.

"The message he passed on didn't even make sense. He said, 'The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh would like to be remembered to you,'" she said.

"That's not an apology or even a well-wish."

Buckingham Palace said on Saturday that a "full message of support was sent to both the driver and the passenger".

What is the law on seat belts?

Passengers and drivers must wear a belt when on a public road if there is one fitted in their vehicle. There are a few exceptions, such as when a driver is reversing, or for medical reasons

A person caught not wearing a seatbelt could receive an on-the-spot £100 fine. If a case goes to court, the fine could increase to £500

Drivers do not receive penalty points for not wearing a seatbelt

Sources: RAC and gov.uk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46935721

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

If it had been anyone else, there'd be more than just an 'apology' needed.

He's 90-freakin-seven. He should NOT be driving what so ever. I get he might still be of sound mind, but reactions of the body is a different story. He could have killed one, both or all three of them.

I think it's time someone put their foot down on his driving, like we would on ANY senior driving that's had an accident.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
He's 90-freakin-seven. He should NOT be driving what so ever. I get he might still be of sound mind, but reactions of the body is a different story. He could have killed one, both or all three of them.
I think it's time someone put their foot down on his driving, like we would on ANY senior driving that's had an accident.

There is no law against anyone of that age driving. Most road accidents are caused by kids in their late teens and early twenties.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

There is no law against anyone of that age driving. Most road accidents are caused by kids in their late teens and early twenties.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

How far can you reach, Blackie, up your backside just to protect the Royals.

And I say this as someone who wants the Monarchy around still and actually likes them.

But I also am sensible enough that when you start hitting senior age, your reflexes slow down and your reaction time to things isn't where it should be. The moment he got into this accident, his license should have been revoked until he could pass a medical exam - impartially - and prove he's still fit to drive.

This isn't about hating seniors, it's about protecting other drivers out there from their slower reaction times to things.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

To be the fly on the wall for what the Queen was saying that made him bolt like that, plot revealed in 'SAW57, Anniversary Special'. I'm pretty sure the Queen has a remote for all his vehicles, what she didn't count on was the bullet-proof glass keeping him inside the vehicle. Jimmy Seville was right, there is something not right about the whole damn family.

I assume any commoners mowed down will end up as a mass suicide, by being eaten by red foxes.