By the Way. . .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Maybe not , but the political consequences come into play .

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Blackshirt's whimpering and moaning notwithstanding, the British Parliament is under no legal obligation to obey a popular referendum.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Maybe not , but the political consequences come into play .
Absolutely. As they always do. My point was exactly what I said, pre-emptively clearing up any questions for people who may have gathered from the shrieking and bluster of the Brexiteers that Parliament is under any legal obligation to follow the referendum.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Absolutely. As they always do. My point was exactly what I said, pre-emptively clearing up any questions for people who may have gathered from the shrieking and bluster of the Brexiteers that Parliament is under any legal obligation to follow the referendum.

1) First off, on 9th June 2015 MPs voted overwhelmingly - 544 to 53 - to hold a referendum, which was held a year later. During one of the debates of the referendum bill the then Foreign Secretarty said this: the "decision about our membership should be taken by the British people, not by Whitehall bureaucrats, certainly not by Brussels Eurocrats; not even by Government Ministers or parliamentarians in this Chamber." The man who said that, Philip Hammond, is now the arch-Remainer Chancellor of the Exchequer. At the time he probably felt okay saying that because everyone thought that Remain would go on to win - but now that they have lost he's now, hypocritically, going back on what he said and is trying to scupper Brexit. But, despite that, he did say in the run up to the referendum that it is the British people who decide, not parliamentarians.

2) In the run-up to the referendum, the government spent £9 million of taxpayers' money on leaflets which were sent to every household to try and persuade us to vote Remain yet which did say that the government promises to carry out the result of the referendum. It said it WILL - not MAY or MIGHT - carry out what the people decide:

3) In February 2017, Parliament overwhelmingly votes to trigger Article 50 by 494 votes to 122. I hope Parliament isn't going to waste everyone's time by saying that Brexit will not happen when Parliament itself voted to trigger Article 50;

4) In June 2017 the General Election takes place. In that election the two main parties - Tories and Labour - promise to take Britain out of the European Union. It is the main promise in each of their manifestos. As a result, the two parties get a combined total of 82.4% of the votes. Hundreds of MPs were elected on their promise to take the UK out of the EU.

To say, as so many anti-Brexiteers do, that the government and parliament have no obligation to honour the referendum result is quite plainly codswallop. In reality, they have a democratic necessity to carry Brexit out, as ordered by the British people twice - in the referendum and the General Election. I'm not too sure the British people would take kindly to voting for Labour and Tories in their droves because both promised to carry out Brexit only for both parties to then almost admit they were just telling barefaced lies and that they actually have no intention of delivering it.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
By the way, the hypocrisy of so many Remainer politicians is astounding.

Here's Labour MP for Streatham Chuka Umunna out campaigning for a second referndum - or "People's Vote" as the Remainers call it, as though it wasn't people who voted in the first one:

Yet the brilliant blogger Guido Fawkes has unearthed a video of Umunna saying this about a second referendum:

'I'm sorry, I'm not one of those people who thinks we should be calling for a second referendum.

'I think that would just look like the referendum was fought under rules we agreed to, a result was delivered, and because we don't like it we now want to replay it again — which will simply entrench a view that we're some elite, who don't want to pay any attention to the people.'

Also quite sickeningly, Remainer Tory MP Dominic Grieve gave this message to his contituents in the 2017 General Election campaign in order to get them to vote for him:

“The decision of the electorate in the referendum must be respected and that I should support a reasoned process to give effect to it.”

But now he's been voted in, he's showing us that he actually cares not a jot about the democratic decisions of his constituents - apart from when they voted him in as an MP, of course - because he is now doing all he can to overturn Brexit.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Blackshirt's whimpering and moaning notwithstanding, the British Parliament is under no legal obligation to obey a popular referendum.
Correct. However, not listening to the majority will of the people, not once but TWICE, in favour of joining/remaining attached to an un-elected ruling body could prove disastrous for the British govt.
I mean, if you have no intention of abiding by the results of a referendum, why bother having one at all?
Back in 1972, PM heath promised a referendum on joining the then EEC. Upon hearing that those who opposed joining outnumbered those who favoured it by 2:1, he scrapped the referendum and Britain joined the EEC/EU without the consent of the people.

In Canada, the Federal PC party lost their official party status and ceased to exist after Mulroney enacted two highly unpopular pieces of legislation. The party has never recovered, punished by the electorate.
In Ontario, the provincial Liberals were turfed from office and also lost official party status as they copped the attitude that they could do whatever the f*ck they wanted, to hell with the will of the majority.

It's bad enough when you don't give people a voice on highly contentious issues or policies, but in the case of the UK and Brexit, it's even worse when you do give them a voice and then shit all over it anyway.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Referendum although impractical for "all" government decisions is still the purest form of true democracy!

You're like Blackshirt. You can whimper and stomp your feet as much as you like, you still haven't touched my point: Parliament is under no legal obligation to obey a referendum.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Re "the government will implement what you decide"

What was decided?

There is no decision to put into effect other than "leave" which is not a plan.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You're like Blackshirt. You can whimper and stomp your feet as much as you like, you still haven't touched my point: Parliament is under no legal obligation to obey a referendum.
You're absolutely right on that...
The only reason I quoted you is because I didn't want Mhz who posted before me, to think I was responding to his post :lol:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You're absolutely right on that...
The only reason I quoted you is because I didn't want Mhz who posted before me, to think I was responding to his post :lol:
Smells slightly racist, tag up with an Indian just so I am excluded. How does that make you feel Bones??

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The French have already served /saved the British in this case by initiating the overturn of thier own EU Bankers. In both cases civil war would seem to be in order. I think that in both cases, British and French, the will of the people has been manipulated/disregarded. Not much surprise in that is there?

I used to think that economic union was an efficient arrangement for the people when in fact it was simply a bold step by the global oligarchy to finally amalgamate in preparation for the new cold end times. Essentially it,s all about climate change and who gets to eat.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

84% of Parliament was elected on a promise to take Britain out of the EU.