Trudeau's neglect of the nation has led us to this place

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Dark resentments thought buried in this part of the country have been reawakened.

In an astonishing statement to the New York Times in 2015, Justin Trudeau declared, "There is no core identity, no mainstream in Canada,'' and consequently that "makes us the first post-national state."

This kind of talk would have been horrifying to Peter Lougheed, Alberta's premier from 1971 to 1985. He believed in Canada. He had faith in our national institutions. But the intransigence of the federal government led by Pierre Elliot Trudeau tested that faith.

And now we have Justin Trudeau, a prime minister who, like his father, has odd ideas about the country, the world, and Alberta's place in it.

Dark resentments thought buried in this part of the country have been reawakened.

The ideas behind Canadian confederation are at risk.

Analysis The new Alberta alienation: Resenting East and West

Albertans are perplexed, and now many are angry. Why is our prime minister, we say, so obsessively focused on his role as heroic defender of a post-nation world and in doing so, neglects the needs of his own country?

Other national leaders (France's Emmanuel Macron, for one), have learned what happens when you ignore the wishes of your citizens. Riots reminiscent of the events of 1968 in France, triggered the country's prime minister, and soon after the president, to back away from a loathed carbon tax.

In his attempts to satisfy liberal progressives and conservatives on the politics of petroleum and pipelines, our prime minister has swallowed both the red pill and the blue pill. Canada is not The Matrix.

Waking up into Justin Trudeau's worldly view is irrational — a sign of childish naiveté at best.

Trudeau said, to conclude the interview with the Times, "I'm excited to be on the world stage." And continued, ''I think people are starting to see that I'm actually reasonably fit for this office.''

We beg to differ.

The Trudeaus have never understood — or seemed fond of — Alberta or the aspirations of the West.

Our prime minister is focused on a global agenda. Meanwhile, he and his team are setting Canada against itself.

One only has to look to recent events in France and the European project, in general, with Brexit a clue as to why nations are no longer keen on abandoning their autonomy for the lofty ambitions of leaders on the world stage.

Brian Mulroney, one of our nation's elder statesmen, recently offered Trudeau some wisdom: It's the job of the Canadian prime minister to look after Canada first and the rest of the world next.

That may sound like America First. China first. India, too — first.

It's realpolitik.

Blind spots and willful ignorance
Pro-rationing the sale of oil from Alberta — as a mandate, not a PR stunt — is a unique weapon in the hands of a political leader. This isn't an angry mob of dairy farmers, spilling milk down drains rather than selling it below cost.

This is the government of a province in Canada saying: Enough! This madness must stop!

And by sheer neglect, Trudeau created the conditions where the only legitimate response in Alberta crossed party lines, demonstrating a unity among Albertans that he's either not seeing or is willfully blind to.

It's our oil and gas. Full stop. Canada's constitution amended in 1930 said as much: provinces own and control the resources underfoot. And selling for prices below the cost of production isn't fair to the royalty owners — it's also stupid business.
Meantime: Our prime minister's neglect, even callousness, is driving a wedge between regions and igniting Western alienation. He's playing with fire.

Trudeau and his cabinet have been preoccupied with their global vision of how things ought to be at the expense of how things are in the country. Alberta Premier Rachel Notley, along with her Saskatchewan counterpart Scott Moe, had to practically beg the prime minister to give the energy crisis pride of place on Friday's first ministers conference agenda.

Is it any wonder Albertans, for the second time in a generation, have executed extraordinary measures in their legislature to protect the province from an incorrigible federal leadership?

And that raises another question.

Are we all — as citizens of this country — complicit in allowing this prime minister to go forward on his destructive path toward a post-nation state?

At what price comes his glory?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Hear Hear. ALL Canadians should be disgusted by this egomaniacal man and his political supporters. We are a country with lots of wealth and we're being marginalized, not only by our own PM and his "team" (aka Butts) but from foreign sources (aka Soros, Tides Foundation, Rockerfeller foundations et al). We cannot let him get away with this. WAKE UP CANADA!! This is no longer a "conspiracy" but factual and if we don't do something about it, this country will be destroyed from within (a George Soros tactic btw). He has done this many times with other countries and economies with much success. Then he sits back and laughs like hell at everyone's stupidity while raking in the dough!

JMHO

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
At the conference JT threatened Doug Ford to either charge the Carbon tax or he will be forced to shut down the Oil sands, Unreal arrogance

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Y'know, from a foreigner's perspective, I can't say as I see y'all in a place that's all that dark.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cheering for Boy Justin (either of them). Just that some folk seem to be seeing a candle and screaming "forest fire!"

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Y'know, from a foreigner's perspective, I can't say as I see y'all in a place that's all that dark.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not cheering for Boy Justin (either of them). Just that some folk seem to be seeing a candle and screaming "forest fire!"
Follow the money or rather the lack of. There are a couple Provinces that haven't seen a penny of Fed money in 3 years. Alberta is one of them.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Follow the money or rather the lack of. There are a couple Provinces that haven't seen a penny of Fed money in 3 years. Alberta is one of them.
Well, I suppose if whimpering about not getting your accustomed handouts is your definition of "a dark place". . .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You need to go back 40 years to get the proper perspective of what's happening today. Do that then come back and comment.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

From 1980

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Trudeau sets all time jobs record and posts 40 year low unemployment.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
https://business.financialpost.com/...cord-jobs-gain-despite-concerns-in-oil-sector

Canada generated a record number of jobs last month and the unemployment rate fell to the lowest in more than four decades, suggesting the labour market remains buoyant despite doubts about the health of the nation’s economy.

Employment increased by 94,100 in November, with broad-based gains across industries of mostly full-time jobs, Statistics Canada said Friday from Ottawa.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Interesting that Trump had a massive miss on jobs.

I guess no Christmas this year for the Americans

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you came up with something like this that showed a lack of Western alienation and vote buying I'd be impressed.

OTTAWA — The federal government spent the summer making $43 billion worth of funding announcements — aimed primarily at Liberal ridings in Eastern Canada.

The size of funding announcements ranged from relatively minor — $4,000 for renovations to a Quebec town's recreation centre, for example — to major, such as the unveiling of Canada's Poverty Reduction Strategy, $22 billion in spending already committed to federal programs since 2015 with no new money attached.

HuffPost Canada tabulated funding announcements made by federal departments and regional development agencies from June 20 — after the House of Commons rose for the summer — until Labour Day, on Sept. 3.

Not all the money flowed into infrastructure projects or social programs. Some went to companies to innovate their food-related ventures or to support community events, such as $40,000 that went to a festival in Skinners Pond, P.E.I. celebrating Stompin' Tom Connors; and $50,000 in financial assistance for a Quebec meat processor to infuse a new line of sausages with a native microflora for a "distinctive" taste.

Municipalities were also among the list of recipients for federal funds. The Halifax Regional Municipality received $950,000 for projects commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion — which was marked last year.

The summer spending blitz came just before Quebec and New Brunswick — both headed by incumbent Liberal governments — officially kicked off provincial elections in late August.

Before the writs dropped, federal ministers and MPs frequently joined their provincial counterparts to make pre-election spending announcements.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Trudeau has zero intent in getting TMPL built. Prior to Trudeau, From 2008 to 2012, Butts was president and CEO of the anti-everything World Wildlife Fund Canada