Eurosceptics were right – the EU wants to be an empire

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Time and time again we are told that the EU has not the remotest intentions of establishing an army, that this is just Little Englander fantasy, and that to speak of the EU as an emergent, undemocratic empire is paranoid xenophobia.

Yet time and time again we see evidence that proves the contrary...

Eurosceptics were right – the EU wants to be an empire

It isn’t paranoia to be worried about the expansion of EU power.

Patrick West
16th November 2018
Spiked

Time and time again we are told that the EU has not the remotest intentions of establishing an army, that this is just Little Englander fantasy, and that to speak of the EU as an emergent, undemocratic empire is paranoid xenophobia.

Yet time and time again we see evidence that proves the contrary. On Tuesday, German chancellor Angela Merkel said: ‘A common European army would show the world that there will never be war between the European nations.’

On Twitter, Guy Verhofstadt says: ‘I am very pleased that both #Merkel and Macron are now fully behind a European army. We fought for this for many years. In the world of tomorrow, we have to take our destiny into our own hands!’

Likewise, Brexiteers’ concern that pro-EU elements want to turn the EU into a modern-day empire to rival Rome, a concern that is similarly and habitually dismissed with a wave of the hand and snorts of derision, has also this week been confirmed by European politicians themselves.

Speaking to the German business newspaper Handelsblatt, the French finance minister Bruno Le Maire said: ‘Europe needs to become a kind of empire like China and the USA… technological power, economic, financial, monetary, cultural power will be decisive. Europe can no longer afford to shrink from exercising its power and being an empire of peace.’

Swivel-eyed, anti-EU conspiracy theorists – as they are snootily dismissed – have been pointing out that the EU has been headed in this direction ever since the Maastricht Treaty of 1992. What with the end of the Cold War, the EU lost its main raison d’etre: to cement solidarity among the countries of Western Europe in the face of threat from the Eastern Bloc. In this vacuum, the creation of a united Europe has become the new guiding ideology. And ideologists will not change their mind, and will always crack down on those who question their convictions.

You don’t have to just recall the EU’s appalling humiliation of Greece or its recent demand that the government of Italy rein back on fiscal excesses (or what used to be called Keynesian economics) to appreciate that it has become an empire. The centre (in this case Brussels and Berlin) bullying the periphery is always the hallmark of an imperium.

But an even more definitive sign of an imperial system is the centre determined to punish most severely any territory that seeks to secede from the empire. This is why the Romans crushed the seditious Dacians, why Britain reacted with military force to the rebellion in Ireland, why the USSR sent troops into Hungary and Czechoslovakia.

And it is for this reason that the intransigent EU has spent the past two-and-a-half years subjecting the UK to threats and insults, and why its policy of throwing its weight around finally triumphed on Wednesday night against a gutless British government – with Theresa May playing the role of a modern-day Neville Chamberlain.

The EU empire is terrified of losing any of its territory, lest it start a domino effect, which is why it desires institutions such as a single army, or greater fiscal integration, which will make secession ever-more difficult.

This is why the EU didn’t just let the UK walk free before effectively ensaring it in such institutions. It will always seek to rein in more power to the centre, to make sure it never goes the way of the Roman Empire. And the more the periphery threatens to dissent, the more the centre will crack down on dissenters.

Remainers Wake, by James Rejoyce!

riverrun through I can’t Adam and Eve it how Brexiteeers swerve and are so sure and bend and bray, having brought us by commodius recrimination over the shorter sea out of Europa Minor. Schmuck in the past Pret a Mangy – tout for my placard (baba!baba! Barnier! Barnier!).

We the indignant multitude, they the ignorant maltitude. Prolapisitarian scum in Daily Wail Woeman’s Land. Wankyrous, foibleminded, stinksome pederestrians: sobs for their jobs, horror for their squalor. Little Englanders, half a league, half a league wrongwards.

Absintheminded, alcoherent Farage on his Gullible’s travels. Prime Monster May M’Aidez now ruing her regrettitude. What’s the story, same old Tories? Gael Warning! Northern Ire – Caed Mealy Faulty.

Aujord woe says shuddersome Brussels. EU: bulwark against Crankydoodledandy in North Armorica.

Whataboutourchildrenandourchildrenschildren? My precious placards. My precious, my precious. f*ckf*ckf*ckthem

Wait! Wait! Waitrose! We Remain. We Remoan. A Deal yet no Deal. We few – we happy few. A people’s vote? Phew! Phew?

https://www.spiked-online.com/2018/11/16/eurosceptics-were-right-the-eu-wants-to-be-an-empire/

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Nigel Farage said during the EU referendum campaign that the EU is planning on creating its own army. He was attacked by the Remainers, who called it "Europhobe, Little Englander nonsense". Whole articles appeared in newspapers attacking such "drivel" from the Leavers, saying that the EU is planning no such thing.

And now those same newspapers are reporting that the EU is wanting to create its own army - but not one of them has issued a grovelling apology to the Leavers for them being right.

I also find it disturbing that, at the moment that Merkel and Macron are extremely unpopular, and there are huge uprisings against the EU Empire in Britain, Italy, Poland, Hungary and other provinces of the empire, that the EU suddenly wants to create a huge army.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1062361199709507584

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And just thing - some people on here still naively think the EU is nothing but a trade bloc.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
ROD LIDDLE An EU army to replace Nato? It would give in before you could say ‘Macron’

Trump can be a bit coarse from time to time, but there’s something rather wonderful about Donald Trump's ability to speak the truth about Macron's desire for an EU army, with no frills attached

COMMENT
By Rod Liddle
15th November 2018
The Sun

I KNOW he can be a bit . . . um . . . coarse from time to time.

But there’s something rather wonderful about Donald Trump’s ability to speak the truth, with no frills attached.

The idiotic French President Macron has dug up that idea about a European army, run by those genius minds at the EU

And not care who he p***es off. It’s quite unusual in a politician.

But then I suppose Trumpo isn’t your usual politician.

The US President was at it again in France.

The idiotic French President Macron has dug up that idea about a European army, run by those genius minds at the EU.

Macron said Europe should have its own armed forces to guard against interference from Russia, China and the USA

Those of us not keen on the EU always worried about this ridiculous notion — but we were told by pro-EU politicians that it would never happen. Another lie.

Macron said Europe should have its own armed forces to guard against interference from Russia, China and — the USA.

What a rude and stupid statement to make in the run up to Armistice Day.

When French people would do well to remember that it was us — and the Yanks — that saved their benighted country.

Trump was right when tweeting that the French would be speaking German now if it wasn't for the US intervention in the war

Sometimes I wonder if it was worth it.

Trump was right on the case, with one of his famous tweets.

He described Macron’s comments as insulting.

And he added that if it wasn’t for the Americans, the French would be speaking German by now. Quite right.

Macron wants an army to protect the EU from the US, but then the EU nations expect Americans to protect them from Nato

And he’s right, too, that the EU nations do not pull their weight when it comes to funding the real alliance against our real enemies, Nato.

They all like to snipe from the sidelines at the USA.

And resent the Americans for their power, influence and success.

And for bailing them out of the last war.

The EU nations do not pull their weight when it comes to funding the real alliance against our real enemies, Nato

But then they expect the yanks to spend vast amounts of money protecting them all.

Germany, one of the richest countries in the world, spends only 1.2 per cent of its GDP on forces for Nato. That is as pathetic as it is typical.

The French themselves spend only 1.8 per cent.
We’re second only to the Americans in our spending — but even then I would argue that it’s not enough.

The truth is that Nato is the one alliance of which we should be glad to be a member

Our Armed Forces have been cut to the bone over the past two decades.

Would we be able to retake the Falkland Islands now, if Argentina invaded? I doubt it.

The truth is that Nato is the one alliance of which we should be glad to be a member.

It is an alliance of largely civilised, largely democratic countries which has held fast against tyrants, despots and warmongers for 70 years.

An EU army to replace NATO? It would give in before you could say 'Macron'

Most notably, of course, the Cold War, in which the Soviet Union was defeated without a shot being fired.

But now Trump is getting a bit tired of Nato because the US always has to spend, spend, spend.

And with the Europeans thinking again of having an EU army there are many who think the days of Nato are numbered.

That would be a terrible mistake.

No wonder Trump is getting a bit tired of Nato because the US always has to spend, spend, spend

An EU army to replace Nato?

It would be bureaucratic, incompetent and short-funded.

And it would surrender before you could say “Macron”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7743079/eu-army-terrible-mistake/

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
ROD LIDDLE An EU army to replace Nato? It would give in before you could say ‘Macron’

Trump can be a bit coarse from time to time, but there’s something rather wonderful about Donald Trump's ability to speak the truth about Macron's desire for an EU army, with no frills attached

COMMENT
By Rod Liddle
15th November 2018
The Sun

I KNOW he can be a bit . . . um . . . coarse from time to time.

But there’s something rather wonderful about Donald Trump’s ability to speak the truth, with no frills attached.

The idiotic French President Macron has dug up that idea about a European army, run by those genius minds at the EU

And not care who he p***es off. It’s quite unusual in a politician.

But then I suppose Trumpo isn’t your usual politician.

The US President was at it again in France.

The idiotic French President Macron has dug up that idea about a European army, run by those genius minds at the EU.

Macron said Europe should have its own armed forces to guard against interference from Russia, China and the USA

Those of us not keen on the EU always worried about this ridiculous notion — but we were told by pro-EU politicians that it would never happen. Another lie.

Macron said Europe should have its own armed forces to guard against interference from Russia, China and — the USA.

What a rude and stupid statement to make in the run up to Armistice Day.

When French people would do well to remember that it was us — and the Yanks — that saved their benighted country.

Trump was right when tweeting that the French would be speaking German now if it wasn't for the US intervention in the war

Sometimes I wonder if it was worth it.

Trump was right on the case, with one of his famous tweets.

He described Macron’s comments as insulting.

And he added that if it wasn’t for the Americans, the French would be speaking German by now. Quite right.

Macron wants an army to protect the EU from the US, but then the EU nations expect Americans to protect them from Nato

And he’s right, too, that the EU nations do not pull their weight when it comes to funding the real alliance against our real enemies, Nato.

They all like to snipe from the sidelines at the USA.

And resent the Americans for their power, influence and success.

And for bailing them out of the last war.

The EU nations do not pull their weight when it comes to funding the real alliance against our real enemies, Nato

But then they expect the yanks to spend vast amounts of money protecting them all.

Germany, one of the richest countries in the world, spends only 1.2 per cent of its GDP on forces for Nato. That is as pathetic as it is typical.

The French themselves spend only 1.8 per cent.
We’re second only to the Americans in our spending — but even then I would argue that it’s not enough.

The truth is that Nato is the one alliance of which we should be glad to be a member

Our Armed Forces have been cut to the bone over the past two decades.

Would we be able to retake the Falkland Islands now, if Argentina invaded? I doubt it.

The truth is that Nato is the one alliance of which we should be glad to be a member.

It is an alliance of largely civilised, largely democratic countries which has held fast against tyrants, despots and warmongers for 70 years.

An EU army to replace NATO? It would give in before you could say 'Macron'

Most notably, of course, the Cold War, in which the Soviet Union was defeated without a shot being fired.

But now Trump is getting a bit tired of Nato because the US always has to spend, spend, spend.

And with the Europeans thinking again of having an EU army there are many who think the days of Nato are numbered.

That would be a terrible mistake.

No wonder Trump is getting a bit tired of Nato because the US always has to spend, spend, spend

An EU army to replace Nato?

It would be bureaucratic, incompetent and short-funded.

And it would surrender before you could say “Macron”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7743079/eu-army-terrible-mistake/
It would surrender before you could say Marcon . Beauty .

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The world owes the World Banks about $75T and that is accounting for the natural wealth of said countries already being taken by said bank. I'm pretty sure nobody else is doing campaigns on their own. What else do they need to do before they are an 'Empire'?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Silly post. Empires do not allow individual member states to have a veto over the others.
If it move the common agenda ahead they have all sorts of deception that have been used to trick the public. Why there was no revolt when they found out id beyond me.