Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system

mentalfloss
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Did they the last time?

I find it odd that Trudeau wants to make this a stat holiday when everyone and their dog knows that plenty of people use stat holidays as an excuse to get drunk. Somehow, I don't think this idea was thought all the way through. But then thinking things through isn't really Prince Bouncy Castle's strong suit. Or the rest of the Liberal party for that matter.

By the way you do realize a stat holiday necessarily doesn't mean time off, right?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

By the way you do realize a stat holiday necessarily doesn't mean time off, right?

To avoid confusion, I'll refer to those that apply only to government employees as state holidays and let's call the ones that force the day onto the public sector civil holidays.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

So I take it you've read that issue?

I got as far as your name and that pretty much set the context for your post as being verbal diarrhea. The actually context shows you had some help from a 3yr old. The only scary thing is you are probably one of the smarter ones from the group that has Islamophobia while being blind to the (much worse) crimes 'your heroes' pull many more times a day. I'm more than happy to help you break through that barriers, as will be easy to see.

White_Unifier
Let's make more state holidays. They save the taxpayer money.

MHz

Put all the holidays in the winter months when everybody is already a little bored.

mentalfloss
+1
Is it just me or is this just not that big of a deal?

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Why not? But again, make it an optional one to pick from among the allotted personal days allowed.

How about, 'Shit that needs to stay buried day' and then all sorts of crimes can be involved rather than just killing and maiming children.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Slow day on the farm, Pete?

One of his more lucid days IMO. As you can see there isn't going to be a 'deep look into the workings of its mind'.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Slow day on the farm, Pete?

Nope. It's from a Freak Brother comic where Fat Freddy writes a novel while on speed.

Megaplotz reminds me of that every time he rambles incoherently.

Curious Cdn

Nope. It's from a Freak Brother comic where Fat Freddy writes a novel while on speed.

Megaplotz reminds me of that every time he rambles incoherently.

Yup. Slow day on the farm.

MHz

Only to the ones guilty of the crimes. To the ones that were killed and tormented it is a pretty big deal. The attention it has gotten over the last 150 years explains how Gaza could exist in the 21 st century and why things will be no different in the 22nd century.

Lack of caring means you are most likely part of the problem. There is a lot more evidence of millions of kids being murdered than there is for any holocaust in WWII yet people are sure would about that never being diminished no matter what the truth is. Pretty easy to understand why it is a fickle world when there are nothing but fickle pricks running the place.

Bunch of Nazis escaping war crimes is no big deal either apparently. Not too sure we can brag that didn't lead to a disaster down the road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHs5M3pyd3Q&t=4s
Annie Jacobsen, "Operation Paperclip"

Want to bet the stats of certain immigration records will show they all ended up being part of the same group? NASA and the CIA and Hollywood.

petros
I don't live on a farm.

Curious Cdn

I don't live on a farm.

Sorry.

Slow day by the slough.

Walter
+2
Open the books.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Sorry.

Slow day by the slough.

Slow day on the shipping/receiving dock?

JLM
+1

Of course (not f**king rocket science) but they either get paid a premium rate or time off in lieu.

Curious Cdn

Slow day on the shipping/receiving dock?

If I were on a shipping/receiving dock anywhere where I've ever been or seen, I sure as hell wouldn't be allowed to chat on the internet.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Sorry.

Slow day by the slough.

The pigs threw him off the property for smelling the place up.

Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Open the books.

Population stats?? or immigration stats??

JLM
+1

Of course it's not a big deal to anyone who has lots of money allocated for taxes. For the rest of us it's strangling us. (Only an idiot wouldn't understand that)

Walter
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Population stats?? or immigration stats??

Show me the money.

Mowich

A state holiday does not necessarily need to be a statutory holiday for the private sector. Take Remembrance day as an example.

WTH does that have to do with your previous comments about people taking the day to party?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

WTH does that have to do with your previous comments about people taking the day to party?

I don't know. You tell me.

JLM

Provincial stat days do not apply to Federally-regulated institutions. I was speaking generally to include both federally and provincially-regulated institutions.

As I figured out when I got mail on Family Day! B.C. day too, I guess!

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Decapoda View Post

Oh believe me, it is taught in public school!! I have several kids in grade school and can confirm that a disproportionately large portion of the curriculum of the social studies class from grade 5 up is devoted to residential schools, ensuring that "colonial" guilt is firmly instilled in the kids, and beating the mantra ad-nauseum into their heads that reparation sand compensation must be made.

Every morning before classes start, the announcements over the PA include the school principal and students declaring their thanks and respect to the Treaty Land in which the school sits. The Residential School theme is everywhere in the school, in the class assignments, in posters hanging on the hallway walls, in the homework...everywhere. The local elementary school just spent 40 grand to bulldoze a portion of the school parking lot and created a "Sacred Heart garden" to commemorate the victims of residential schools.

Believe me, the kids are completely immersed the Residential School issue, it saturates virtually everything they do in school.

Didn't see the sense in starting a new thread for this, Dec and figured this was good place to put it.

“Teachers – don’t worry if you don’t have the knowledge or skill set. You are the lead learner. Inquire not lecture.”

This was an actual tweet from a prominent education guru. Sadly, this message is far from isolated. There is a common belief in education circles that teacher subject-matter expertise does not matter a whole lot.

The underlying assumption is that learning is more about a generalized process than it is about mastering subject-specific content. In other words, the journey matters more than the actual destination. Since knowledge changes so quickly, students should learn how to learn rather than spend their valuable time memorizing facts that will soon be outdated.

This thinking has been popularized by the 21st Century Skills movement. Advocates of this approach suggest that students need to work on generic skills such as creativity, cooperation, and critical thinking. Since these skills are allegedly transferable between different subjects, they will never become obsolete. This is why provinces such as Alberta and British Columbia are going through a curriculum revision process that involves reducing the amount of content in core subjects.

Look again at the tweet quoted earlier. It tells teachers not to worry if they do not have the knowledge or the skill set. It reminds them that they are lead learners and encourages teachers to inquire rather than to lecture. This is exactly the message you would expect from someone who does not value teacher expertise.

By this reasoning, it does not matter if math teachers know little about math. In fact, teachers who lack math knowledge or the specific skills to solve math problems may actually be more effective in the classroom since they can learn the material together with their students. That is the message teachers often hear from the many gurus who speak at their professional development conferences.

Of course, no other profession would tolerate this kind of direct attack on expertise. Imagine telling a heart surgeon not to worry if she does not have the knowledge or skill set to perform heart surgery. Even more absurd would be telling airplane pilots that they don’t need to know how to fly a plane since they can learn alongside their passengers. The reason we call people professionals is because they have specific expertise that the public lacks."

More: https://fcpp.org/2018/08/14/teacher-...y-does-matter/

Hoid
"Even more absurd would be telling airplane pilots that they don’t need to know how to fly a plane since they can learn alongside their passengers."

But its fine for an internet idiot to decide what constitutes pedagogy.

IdRatherBeSkiing
There seems to be some confusion about what is and is not a stat holiday.

https://www.statutoryholidays.com/national.php

Basically:
New Year's Day Jan 1 Jan 1 January 1st

Good Friday March 30 April 19 Friday before Easter Sunday
Canada Day July 1 July 1 July 1st or July 2nd if the 1st is a Sunday
Labour Day Sept 3 Sept 2 First Monday of September
Christmas Day Dec 25 Dec 25 December 25

Everything else is a provincial holiday. You notice Victoria Day and Thanksgiving are not stat holidays.

Here is a full list:
https://www.statutoryholidays.com/

Remembrance Day is not a holiday in ON but it is a bank holiday. Those of us working for a bank get it off.

White_Unifier
That's because banks are federal jurisdiction.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Aug 16th, 2018 at 07:42 PM..

Kreskin
+2 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Open the books.

The irony, this coming from a Trump bottom.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

The irony, this coming from a Trump bottom.

Is Trump asking for personal compensation for being sent to school?

Hoid
has trump opened the books?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

That's because banks are federal jurisdiction.

It's not a federal holiday.