Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I would go along with it IF Remembrance Day is made a mandatory Stat. Holiday before it.

Remember our Warriers. The F.N. people that I know (who admittedly are all Mohawk) would agree with that. I can't put words in the their mouths but I do know that the Warrier is a central part of their culture and they proudly serve in disproportionately large numbers on both sides of the border.

Honour our Warriors, first.

The Liberals never will, of course.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some veterans stood against the last attempt to make Remembrance Day a statutory holiday out of a concern that people would trivialize that day.

I just watched a CBC video on Youtube in which the AFN leader likewise is not necessarily pushing for it to be a statutory day off. This raises the question of what kind of holiday it might look like if not a statutory holiday.

I actually just sent the following e-mail to my MP which would let those who do want to take Remembrance Day as a statutory holiday the do so. I'll quote a part of it here:

I would like to propose an alternative to a National Day of Reconciliation: a total of nine statutory personal holidays per year that a worker could choose, in consultation with his employer, from among the Holy Days of the religion that he professes and any of the following state holidays:

1.World Religion Day (on the 3rd Sunday in January, in recognition of Canada’s indigenous religions),
2.New Year’s Day (on 1 January),
3.Louis Riel Day (on the 3rd Monday of February),
4.International Mother Language Day (on 21 February, in recognition of Canada’s indigenous languages),
5.Good Friday (2 days before Easter Sunday),
6.Easter Monday
7.Victoria Day [on the Monday preceding May 24th, in celebration of Queen Victoria (whom the Ojibwa referred to as the Great White Mother) and the relationship between the Canadian Crown and the indigenous peoples of Canada],
8.National Indigenous Peoples Day (on the summer solstice),
9.Canada Day (on 1 July),
10.The Civic Holiday (on the first Monday in August)
11.Labour Day (on the 1st Monday of September),
12.Thanksgiving Day (on the 2nd Monday of October),
13.United Nations Day [on 24 October, which the United Nations (which adopted the Universal Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples in 2007) recommended in 1971 that member states observe as a public holiday],
14.Remembrance Day (on 11 November),
15.Zamenhof Day (on 15 December, to celebrate the birthday of Dr. Zamenhof who was born in 1859 and who demonstrated a remarkable sense of universal justice and brotherhood for his time),
16.Christmas Day (on 25 December), and
17.Boxing day (on 26 December).

Even if a person does not profess any religion, he could still choose nine out of the above seventeen state holidays from in consultation with his employer.

mentalfloss
I don't know if this is something that reflects the values of most Canadians.

Family Day, for example, is a holiday that most people can get behind but this seems like it was implemented by the government of the day just because it suits their agenda.

Wonder if the CPC would have a Corporation Day if they took office.

Jinentonix
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Family Day, for example, is a holiday that most people can get behind but this seems like it was implemented by the government of the day just because it suits their agenda.

Did they the last time?

I find it odd that Trudeau wants to make this a stat holiday when everyone and their dog knows that plenty of people use stat holidays as an excuse to get drunk. Somehow, I don't think this idea was thought all the way through. But then thinking things through isn't really Prince Bouncy Castle's strong suit. Or the rest of the Liberal party for that matter.

Danbones
Drunks balance themselves

Twin_Moose
+2
First Canadians want a day off that's kinda funny

Hoid
Racists do not support a FN Day.

I am deeply shocked.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

I am deeply shocked.

You think I'm a racist?

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

First Canadians want a day off that's kinda funny

We should all get welfare for the day too.

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

You see? My point exactly. If we make it a statutory holiday, it would soon degenerate into an excuse for parties.

So what do you propose, WU? Making a law that states you can't party on a stat holiday. Get real. People will enjoy a day off in any why they choose.

Twin_Moose
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

We should all get welfare for the day too.

What would the outrage be if they got deducted money for that day?

Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

You think I'm a racist?

Better question yet is what is racist about it?

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

I am deeply shocked.

No No I'm of the belief every hardship by every culture in Canada should have a National holiday to highlight their struggle of course it would have to be a non paid day off and calculated reduction in welfare.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Boxing day.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
The residential schools is a part of our history as a nation. What happened should be taught in public school to educate the next generation. Understanding the mistakes of our ancestors will better equip us not to repeat them. A national holiday is a stupid idea and really a cop out. A band aid from the Pander Bear. It's like throwing money at an issue without trying to understand or correct it. We have been doing that for far too long.

Better question yet is what is racist about it?

Calling someone racist because they disagree with you is the nuclear option. Basically, your ideas have been overrun, you don't have an argument left in your arsenal, but you have the coveted R Bomb.

Twin_Moose
+1
double post
Last edited by Twin_Moose; Aug 16th, 2018 at 09:52 AM..

Twin_Moose
+1
double post
Last edited by Twin_Moose; Aug 16th, 2018 at 09:52 AM..

pgs
+3

The residential schools is a part of our history as a nation. What happened should be taught in public school to educate the next generation. Understanding the mistakes of our ancestors will better equip us not to repeat them. A national holiday is a stupid idea and really a cop out. A band aid from the Pander Bear. It's like throwing money at an issue without trying to understand or correct it. We have been doing that for far too long.

Calling someone racist because they disagree with you is the nuclear option. Basically, your ideas have been overrun, you don't have an argument left in your arsenal, but you have the coveted R Bomb.

So what exactly was done in residential schools that wasn’t done in other schools ?

Yet you have no problem calling other posters bigots .

petros
+2

No No I'm of the belief every hardship by every culture in Canada should have a National holiday to highlight their struggle of course it would have to be a non paid day off and calculated reduction in welfare.

Hey we have Holodomor Memorial Day but it's on Saturdays.

Close enough for me.

Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

So what exactly was done in residential schools that wasn’t done in other schools ?

3 squares a day and central heating.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

You really have to ask that?

Quote:

Yet you have no problem calling other posters bigots .

One. But he is admittedly racist.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

So what do you propose, WU? Making a law that states you can't party on a stat holiday. Get real. People will enjoy a day off in any why they choose.

A state holiday does not necessarily need to be a statutory holiday for the private sector. Take Remembrance day as an example.

pgs
+3

You really have to ask that?

One. But he is admittedly racist.

Yes I do . I have been trying to figure it out ever since this residential school issue came to be . Did public school children not receive the strap ? I did . Mount St. Cassels orphanage and its abuses were not against native children . Many Boy Scout troops , cadet units etc. Were run by serial molesters . Please tell me what happened in residential schools that didn’t happen elsewhere ?

Twin_Moose
+1
Schooling wasn't in the treaties signed. . . . oh wait a minute it was, they discouraged other languages outside of English being used . . . . wait a minute same as every other culture that didn't speak English. h'mmmm good question

petros
+2
Many of the schools were on Rez.

Jinentonix
+3

You think I'm a racist?

Ironic isn't it? The racist who thinks the FN think and act as a single bloc whines about racism.

Twin_Moose
+3 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Many of the schools were on Rez.

Sanctioned and encouraged by the Chiefs and Elders what happened? $$$$$$$$$$ CHA CHING

Jinentonix
+1 / -1

Yes I do . I have been trying to figure it out ever since this residential school issue came to be . Did public school children not receive the strap ? I did . Mount St. Cassels orphanage and its abuses were not against native children . Many Boy Scout troops , cadet units etc. Were run by serial molesters . Please tell me what happened in residential schools that didn’t happen elsewhere ?

Children were basically kidnapped from their homes and dragged to these places against their will and the will of their parents.

pgs
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Children were basically kidnapped from their homes and dragged to these places against their will and the will of their parents.

Yet their chiefs sanctioned those same schools .

Walter
+4

Yet their chiefs sanctioned those same schools .

Open the books. Most of the residential schools’ issue is bullshit.

Twin_Moose
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Schooling was a big part of the treaties signed, to learn from the white man were the Elder's intentions with this clause in the treaty.

Johnnny
+4
Make it a holiday so that we have another day to PARTY!!!

People will think of the residential schools on this day the same as we think of Queen Victoria on May Two-Four.

Jinentonix
+4

Schooling was a big part of the treaties signed, to learn from the white man were the Elder's intentions with this clause in the treaty.

Much evil has been done in the name of good intentions. Orphanages were about good intentions too but many of those places were truly Dickensian.

petros
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

Make it a holiday so that we have another day to PARTY!!!

People will think of the residential schools on this day the same as we think of Queen Victoria on May Two-Four.

June 21 already is a party. Music, food, dancing and fireworks.

You don't need booze or dope to party.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

I toast Queen Bess and her great-great-granddaughter every Victoria Day.